Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Aikido making a comeback?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TAS_RB

Good uke must resist, evade, and even counteract to identify gaps in tori's techniques, this is a learning process. But this is different from the deliberate blocking technique which was mentioned by Black Sheep. There is no universal technique which you can do from any attack or any angle. If the same grab is applied at different angles it may be necessary to use different techniques against it. During the practice, we usually select a specific type of attack and one technique to learn - this is what I mean when I say about the prearranged nature of the practice. Knowing what technique is coming a stubborn or not knowledgeable uke can potentially take a position which is not suitable for this particular technique and block it. In most cases, it means that uke creates an opening for another technique. Experienced practitioners will immediately use this opening and transition to another technique to cope with a such situation, but many people will desperately try to do a technique they are supposed to practise. And such behaviour of uke is not healthy and needs to be corrected.

Randori in Aikido is a separate type of practice when one or more uke attack as they wish. We do this type of training with more advanced students. But sometimes we limit the number of allowed attacks and/or responses to make such drills suitable for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evading, countering, finding flaws etc is all well and good for learning. But it is not the same as testing your techniques against resistance.

Any drill where there is a defined tori and uke is more aligned to learning rather than testing and validating. If you don’t test a technique, you don’t really know if it works. And if you’ve never tested any technique, then do you really know if any of it works?

Randori in Aikido is a separate type of practice when one or more uke attack as they wish.

Randori - as in reasonably freestyle practise where people must attack without rehearsal or choreography - is what I would consider testing. No tori/uke taking turns. Testing attack and defence simultaneously. And art that leaves that out has, in my view, a gaping hole in it.

2-on-1 tandoori sounds a little fantastical.

Advertisement