Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealers must be discounting something serious at this stage? Looking at the online 'offers', they are still greedy on the finance rate but there must be lots of bargaining room now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Could very well be the last 5 series as we know it in Ireland. The saloon seems to be almost extinct, and at this price point nobody seems to be going for it. 5 series always sold well and this one is cheap as chips to run and should be more reliable than any that came before it and they're not on the roads.

Plenty bought the Audi Etron when launched for 80k or thereabouts, although slowing down now I imagine, Audi have since launched 2 more SUVs before a saloon or an estate. EQE didn't sell either and were discounted to 60k or something to shift a few.

To put it in perspective you could buy an id4 for yourself and an id3 for your husband/wife and still have change from the price of an i5. The BMW is the nicer car but is it a better proposition than buying 2 cars? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

the new E even with diesel has sold about 280 this year - the 5 has still sold about 580 ( there are a few old estates in that )

The 5 in an m sport pro spec and right colour still looks great imo

Mercedes have lost the plot more than bmw with the pricing on the e class.

How much is a 530e with msport pro pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭carsfan2

78k with metallic and before any options or service pack.

Mercedes is good bit more I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

No chance - BMW will lick their wounds and listen to feedback on the g60 and make another model.

The failure of the g60 is nothing to do with saloon type car it's simple. They cut costs and increased the price to maximise their margins knowing the volume would drop. But the gamble hasn't worked in UKI (not sure around the world - maybe Asia it's a success?).

Whatever about styling from one model to the next they've never downgraded/cheapened the car from one generation to next one until now and it's been a massive failure.

The downgrade of the outside and inside is so obvious for anyone who has driven a 5 series before - it's absolutely scandalous they thought people wouldn't notice:

• too much plastic on outside
    • removing exhaust pipes
    • no cover on cupholders
    • no leather dash trim
    • reduced leather/cushioning on centre console and doors
    • no padding on side door pockets
    • touchscreen controls for air con, heated seats etc
    • re-brand of base audio to UK
    • too much hard/soft plastic
    • no cover on back armrest

I could go on forever.

and to add insult to injury to ramped up the price! madess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I bought a 2022 5 series two months ago. The salesman picked me up from the train station and drove me to the garage in a new i5. It was a very high spec car. I honestly couldn’t get over how much cheaper everything looked and felt compared to the previous model. Whatever else about the ridiculous pricing they need to do something with the LCI model in a couple of years. Also regarding the i5, no one is buying them. There are currently 38 for sale on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I saw a 520i this morning on my commute, I think it was the msport but not sure because I haven't seen the other variant yet, not sure if they're even for sale. I was behind it and beside it and ahead of it in 3 lane traffic and was very unimpressed by its road presence, it didn't have any. Very very bland. Very standard 30k cars on the road looked to have much more design thought put into them.

Anyway, a 2017 g30 SE showed up on same commute and was far nicer and I'm not a massive fan of the SE in general but was much nicer looking car. To add insult a navy g30 msport 221 joined our part of the road and looked great. Could see all 3 cars at once.

I was wondering how it went from g30 to g60 in the name of progress.

Feels like the e39 to e60 back 20 years ago, I hated the e60 but it grew on me after a while and I ended up buying one. Wonder will the g60 be the same?

msport is standard in ireland on g60 now so it was definitely an msport you saw - not that that even helps it!

Reviews now online of the tourer.

It is better looking than the saloon in my view but needs more range especially at this price point.

• Advertisement

sport seems only available on the i5 not the combustion or phev cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They introduced it at a slightly lower price point to try and make the i5 "more affordable".

Ya. But surprising they didn't offer it across the range to try to shift some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Got a couple of emails today about a BMW sales event in a couple of weeks, looks like they have some discounts and then BMW will be there to authorise further discounts. I wonder to what level they will go to? 3.9% and €20-25k of an i5 and I’d be slightly tempted maybe. Although if I was changing to another BMW I still think the X5 50e is what I’d prefer most.

Seeing some 232 i5s m60 are now at the sort of prices that they should be brand new. €106k and €110k for very decent spec ones from Frank Keane

https://blackrock.frankkeanebmw.ie/used-cars/BMW/i5/M60-Saloon/3715829/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'd prefer an eqs or i7 for that kinda money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Surely an i7 isn’t comparable in terms of pricing unless considering a 2 year old one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if there was much more off than what is already on offer and if they give generous discounts they will probably offer lousy trade in price also.

It’s interesting how the offer on the i5 and iX3 is low interest and discounts whereas the other cars are low interest or discounts.

Are you planning to go to see what the story is? The tourer looks a lot better than the saloon in the i5 I think it’s what I’d go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've been a fan of these since I first saw them, having had a test drive in both the 40 and M60 variants. Agree that the touring looks better, but the must have is the m sport front end and black pack. Literally changes the look of the car.

As before, still too expensive but it's getting down to what I was expecting for an M60 touring new, 100k vs 130k. 130k is i7/7 series money.

as much as I’m a BMW fan, I reckon a Volkswagen id7 tourer is probably as good as the i5 tourer on a daily basis for two thirds the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And recent test by carwow puts the i5 as bottom of the pack with regards efficiency and range. 296 miles. It lost out to the Seal, Model 3, Polstar, Mercedes and Taycan.

Yes but thats a VW and not a BMW. BMW compete with Mercedes, Audi etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Brother in law just picked up a nearly new i5 40. Plenty of wow factor inside yet a lot of it appears gimmicky. Feels like a massive backwards step with regards to ergonomics and functionality which is something BMW used to do so well. No doubt you will get used to it in time but even simple things like directing airflow was a faff. Unlined door pockets incredible on a car at this price point.

What struck me is if you removed the badging from the interior you could be in any one of these new EV's, nothing about it felt very 'BMW', whatever that is these days.

Post edited by Stallingrad on

i5 40 or i5 M60 are the two models. Having driven both it's night and day between the two cars. The M60 feels like a designed by M car (while obviously not a full iM5!) whereas the 40 I drove felt sluggish and lower spec. If he has the M60 it's a great car other than being overpriced and I'm well jealous, if he has the 40 and loves it, tell him to never ever test drive the M60!

C

Corrected that, it is the 40. He did drive the M60 prior and said it was a beast.

• Advertisement

€20K I think, has some nice options too.

Advertisement