Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

let’s put our heads in the sand and pretend it never happened.anyway in KK it will have died down by tomorrow, but we are allowed to get excited once in a while when we see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I say get behind this team which if they happened to win would lift the whole county ahead of an All Ireland semifinal and I understand you don’t want to spook them young lads but there achievement has to be recognised even yesterday it took a while for us to be vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Well I know that GAA on Boards.ie is sort of the "Men`s Shed" of social media but you are naive if you think the minors don`t become aware of what is being said about them here. Some of the recent rhetoric has the potential to inflate a few egos and that is the kind of thing that can lead to complacency which isn`t ideal going into an All Ireland final. It should be remembered that this particular team has mixed the sublime with the ordinary on more than one occasion already in this competition. Anyway, the best of luck to players and management in the final. It would be great to get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Nothing wrong with giving young lads praise when they fought there way back into a game that started terribly for them

A game they eventually went onto win vs last years all Ireland winners

If anything this campaign has shown there a very calm level headed bunch well able to handle the pressure of big games and stay patient and mentally strong even when things haven’t been going well at different times across the year

I doubt they will need anyone to take them out of the “clouds”

God forbid we get excited about a very good performance and a crop of underage players that are showing plenty of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Totally agree. I don't believe too much attention is paid to what goes on here. But if it did, we ought to be more concerned about the very negative criticism of these young players in recent weeks. That would do more harm to them than the positive comments now.

They ve mixed the ordinary with the sublime because there 15 and 16 year old young lads not an adult inter county team

• Advertisement

That`s kinda my point. They`re only kids. I remember Cyril Farrell saying the Limerick minors in 2014 were the best he`d ever seen and then our lads went out and beat them in the final. Let`s win it first.

what do ye think of Eddie Brennans comments on TV coverage for Gaelic games giving priority to two foreign games with Ireland or Irish teams competing. I would have taken TV rights off of RTE years ago. RTE were threatened with this and then pleaded about being the national broadcaster. Full of born again rugby guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

I forget sometimes how whinging some GAA people can be.The quarter finals are on RTE 1, not hidden away on news now or the RTE player. The GAA messed up it's own scheduling with the Feile and Tailteann Cup matches and tbh I'm struggling to see what more Eddie wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can anyone explain to me what this Kilkenny app does that's an improvement on the website? I've updated it to the latest version based on their tweets yesterday and I'm struggling to see the benefit of it. A cynical person would say it's a vehicle for advertisements through that Skills Hub section which appears to bare no relation to hurling but that's easily ignored once you know what's there. I just don't know what the point of the app is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

What the hell is the story with these bloody second tier competition football matches taking up Sunday afternoon on TV and in Croke Park. They should be played on Saturday afternoon in some half way venue and not next to near TV coverage. The preliminary QF in football which is the proper start of the football championship cannot be on TV because of them and the hurling is also playing second fiddle to these waste of time matches. The Joe Mcdonagh is way more important as promotion is at stake, these glorified challenge matches should be got rid of and are in the middle of the way of a very important stage of the championship, it actually beggars belief what is going on, who gives a f**k about watching Sligo play a challenge match this weekend, what a shambles

• Advertisement

It's a sop to the counties participating to try and encourage them to bother with it because a lot of them have misguided beliefs in their own abilities. There needs to be much more reality with football and a setup similar to how hurling with the five tiers needs to be introduced with three tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

It's a scandal what's going on Saturday, 16 hurling and 5 camogie teams from Wexford taking part out of 48 hurling & 48 camogie teams taking part in the Feile, so that's 21 set of players, mentors and families been denied a chance to see their county in an All Ireland QF, with timings even watching on TV is out of the question for some, all of the volunteers helping at 11 venues also denied a chance of going to Thurles. Was flagged well in advance the day after the Kilkenny Wexford game but nothing official could be lodged until after the game last Saturday. Eddie's issue in this instance is the hurling QF been pushed away from a prime slot to facilitate the URC final with now no Irish team in it and the Euros which we didn't qualify for. RTE helped turn this into a football v hurling think as they advised with the broadcast arrangement if 1 gets moved so does the other. Could the Tailteann games been left on Sunday and had the Hurling is on RTE 1 maybe played Dublin v Cork at 4.30 in Thurles Saturday and Wexford Clare at 6.45 in Nowlan Park allowing people at the Feile to get to Kilkenny, as Eddie and Mullane said a game like that in Nowlan Park would have been unbelievable.5 Senior intercounty games left in the year and 2 of them thrown away from a prime slot to suit the broadcaster.

But rugby fans will still want to watch the URC Final and soccer fans will want to watch the Euros matches and the Euros are huge attention wise. Hurling isn't the only sport that fans will watch even if their own team isn't in it. The hurling is on RTE 1, the times aren't that bad, in your proposal Clare fans would have been complaining about heading to Nowlan Park on a Saturday evening. in any case there's been plenty of years where the number of Wexford fans at quarter finals has been pitiful so I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy for their complaints.

I agree, RTE and the GAA could have moved things around to make this a blockbuster weekend, i would also have liked to watch the Derry V Mayo match but struggle with GAA Go and i have the yearly subscription. I have no interest in the farce of Irish rugby set up where Leinster are exempt from criticism, rest their players all year and import the best players and still cant win when the pressure comes on, so what interest do i have watching 2 other teams from other countries playing at the expense of top quality GAA matches. Congrats RTE and GAA ye have made a f**k of it again. This is not a split season problem its an RTE and GAA issue

I dont think anyone on here was blowing up the minors saying we have the next Richie hogan or Tj Reid on our hands just taking pleasure in a good performance

There has been nothing but doom any gloom around our underage teams the last few years especially at minor level it’s great to see some great shoots

100% the lads should keep there feet on the ground as nothing is won yet but that’s the job of there friends family and management to do that a few auld lads posting on a message board won’t impact them in the slightest 🤣

Have you ever been involved in a Feile, its a massive undertaking, alot of people helping out for no financial benefit and there thanks is not being able to go to an All Ireland QF, if you can't see the issue in that well that says more about you. 21 sets of u15 players, mentors, players parents and siblings all been screwed over too. TBH if Clare had an issue with Nowlan Park they can suck it up, they played Dublin in aQF last year in Limerick which I taught was nothing short of outrageous.

The problem is 100% the GAA's own scheduling and it's TV right deal with RTE, don't be dragging other sports that people will want to watch into it.

I didn't I just paraphrased what Eddie Brennan said, other posters have the issue, if you think 1 and 3 on Saturday are appropriate times for 2 of the most high profile games of the year then we'll agree to disagree. The fact you see no issue with the games and the Feile clashing especially when a easy solution was there speaks volumes it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

100% with ye Billy, it's a terrible decision by the GAA. All Ireland QF should be prime time viewing and every effort should have been made to facilitate the fans, especially GAA volunteers from one of the counties involved. There's an ever growing chasm between those at HQ and those at grass roots level and it's not good enough.

The Rugby and the glorified challenge matches in football on Sunday are the problem, who is even playing football Sunday ?
    Ocean is 100% right, everything suited to fit around these 2 sporting events that the public have little or no interest in ,the rugby bandwagon is gone. It's a disgrace what's going on with Wexford, and also the real football knock out matches in the senior championship.

The worst case scenario for Wexford should be 7pm throw in Nowlan Park on Sat evening similar to Offaly u21 final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Isn't there an I.C.A. meeting going on somewhere that you should be at?

Yeah…no…singling out individuals and calling them the "real deal", "superstars" or "dingers"….I`d be waiting till they win an All Ireland. I don`t bother with the doom and gloom either. Most of that is overstated too. In fact this whole thread tends to be a bit bipolar.

I agree with you entirely. The logistics and volunteer personnel for feile is huge and all these Wexford supporters cannot get to there biggest match so far this year and on the feile why aren’t the GAA promoting the feile and getting all the finalists some sort of TV coverage. Is John West still the sponsor if they are they couldn’t be too happy with the national coverage. The feile is by far the biggest young peoples sporting event in the country by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Ah Jaysus lad, I was the one who said young Phelan looked like the real deal, do you honestly think he'll need a psychologist to keep his feet on the ground as a result? Will you get a grip.

Jake Mullen is overrated, management should have all been sacked after consecutive defeats and Mark Dowling immediately installed, Larry Phelan will be to slow like his father. That will keep some lads happy

I wouldn’t ever call a young player a superstar but I would single them out for praise if it’s warranted and I think they have a lot of potential which a lot of these minors have I don’t think anything said on here is gospel or would affect any players performance in anyway

I certainly won’t be waiting to see if a player wins an all Ireland before I come on here give them some credit if they re handy il say it

Plenty of really good players have won no all Irelands there still great players

I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't care about the Feile. Sure it's nice for the players involved but to me it's nothing. The GAA can't sort out its own scheduling, that's the problem not the URC or the Euros.

Right I suspect your showing here that your missing the point completely, the issue here is the all the moving parts in Wexford host county of the Feile, u15 players from 21 teams, team mentors, players families, volunteers in 11 venues on Saturday, families hosting players from other counties, all doing their good deeds are been rewarded by being denied the chance to go see their own county in an All Ireland QF. Sometimes clashes can't be avoided, that isn't the case in this instance as a Saturday evening throw in in Nowlan Park and or Sunday throw in in any venue would have sorted it regardless of URC, Euro's or Tailteann Cup.

• Advertisement

What's the famous saying "No good deed goes unpunished"

The GAA had its vote, it rejected the switching of the matches. The problem is the GAA's and all those wonderful volunteers and players involved in the feile missing out are collateral damage. Why Eddie Brennan brought up the Euros and the URC is the crap I dislike. In this case the issues are the GAAs and instead of reflecting on the GAA's structural issues, he's whinging about other sports.

Advertisement