Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

not sure to be honest I was going by a news report where the person interviewed specifically mentioned Teslas as operating on 3gz more FUD I guess. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

I got this mail too, and I ordered a Model Y a month ago. Now if only Tesla would offer me a delivery date, I'd gladly take it off their hands before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stumper931

Has the BYD battery made its way into any cars destined for Ireland from Berlin or is it all the CATL battery we are getting same as when the cars were built in china I see a few German vins with the CATL battery but haven’t seen any with BYD batteries so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

I take it that there won't be any Germany like 6k reduction in Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wouldn’t imagine so. There’s feck all RHD inventory to clear. They can’t make them fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had my car into Sandyford earlier in the week to address some noise complaints, clicking noises coming from a couple of the doors and a light rattle coming from the driver window. All marked as resolved and the car given back to me, absolutely no difference. I'm fast losing patience with the car, it's perfect for me in almost every respect but the quality of the interior is absolutely abysmal. Looks fine, rattley as fúck. I had an American built model 3 for four years and it had absolutely none of these issues.

I'm gonna try Tesla again and get progressively more angry at this point. They either need to refit or replace those interior door panels, not sure the even looked at them this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Looks like you may have gotten a Friday car as these issues are not commonplace.

Fit and finish on the 3 & Y is superb in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doubt it many common complaints are exactly the same. Fit and finish is widely the most complained thing about them

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

This. I've read countless complaints about Tesla rattles/build quality across many discussion boards. You can argue that people mostly post about negative experiences and not positives but there's no metric to prove the ratio.

Tesla is well known in the industry to suffer from quality issues. I've experienced this firsthand and so have some of my friends.

Land rover/range rover, Alfa romeo, BMW, Maserati, Chrysler, Jeep and McLaren are also well known to suffer from issues, albeit more reliability orientated problems

Tesla simply cheap out when it comes to fit and finish, lacking adequate foam cushioning/silicone/seals between panels or clips to hold things adequately in place behind the panels.

Tesla make great cars in some aspects. They excel in efficiency and software design/response UI but are letdown by the likes of autopilot, rattles, and dysfunctional wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's been getting better. They also use the minimum of materials for lightness and thus efficiency. They took it too far perhaps.

• Advertisement

They sent a ranger out to me the first two times I complained about this, the second one must have been working out his notice period or something because he was unexpectedly candid with me about the car. I am most definitely not the only person complaining about this on the Y based on what he told me.

I wouldn't mind if they're built like shít in China and issues then fixed in Dublin after pickup, but initially they kept sending a ranger out to me with a can of WD40 to fix this. When I complained further and said it needed to be looked at in sandyford I left the car into them and picked it up later that day without so much as speaking to anybody on site. All I get is a report on the Tesla app saying all issues are resolved, I drive the car home and they most certainly are not. That is just not good enough, it takes over a month to get a slot in Sandyford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Unlucky then chaps.

Lots of 3 & Y owners with no issues at all.

Jesus is this a cult or something? I also had a 3 with no issues, the Y very much not so. I had a ranger telling me they've had tonnes of complaints with these cars and it's due to the cheap shít plastic they've used on the interior.

Booked in again to Sandyford... next available slot August 2nd 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is getting silly. The vehicles are known for it. Yes they do the tech side very well. Yes they have very efficient motors and buy the best batteries from suppliers. But they're known for poor fit and finish.

I can guarantee if anyone took your car for a spin they'd find fit issues and noises. You may be oblivious to them as some are. But the lack of normal audio protections that other manufacturers put in at the behest of weight is obvious. Sure they only started putting in noise rated glass. Playing catch up still on the car comfort side of things.

I don't necessarily agree with that, the 3 I had for four years really didn't have any rattles. It was loud in the cabin from wind/tyre noise at over 100km/h (the Y fares better here) but I had no issues with the interior build quality. The rear doors didn't quite line up with the body in classic Tesla fashion but I couldn't fault the interior.

That said the car was delivered to me with a loose screw rolling around under the floor. I drove out of Sandyford when I picked it up and heard something rolling from one side to the other as soon as I turned out of the car park. They had to strip out the entire interior of the car to get it out and then put it back in again, maybe that helped. They had no idea where the screw came from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah, some Tesla heads get so worked up at any criticism. For my part, my MY has rattled like feck since day 1.

I fear the day I have to sell my Fremont M3P.
    As per posters above, I have zero rattles, zero panel gaps or misalignments. Everything lines up perfectly (for a mass produced saloon car).

The Y seems to suffer from rattles more so, is it the additional interior trim to raise the seats etc 🤷

We have one 2022 LR Y in the family but I’ve never noticed any rattles but admittedly I’ve only ever been in that for an hours journey max.

I think one of the biggest issues with EV’s is people coming from ICE and hearing these. They were most likely present in the ICE too but the engine and vibration cancelled them out. I know certainly have rattle and plastic creeks in the G30 520d and that’s a 2019 car. The seat side bolted trim also fell off and it’s a seat out job to fix.

Good to see people arguing over interior plastic and not range, fires or the environment 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

Anybody pic up a new Y in midnight cherry red ?

if so show a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Aw lads.

Get with the program.

Tesla are perfect in every way & unlike every other car they never go wrong.

Do they make the tea though 🤔

My Kia is so perfect it even washes itself 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

I’m in the same, my 2019 Model 3 with 150k km has absolutely no quality issues whatsoever. Build quality is the same as any Mercedes or BMW I’ve ever sat in. I mean yeah, if you have the windows wide open you can hear the brakes squealing a little bit more than an ICE car and you can hear the suspension squeek a little bit more over the bumps, but that’s completely normal for an EV. It was the same in my PHEV Golf. You hear all the little things more without the noise of an engine.

That being said I didn’t buy the car new, so maybe the quality issues were sorted under warranty by the first owner 🤷🏻‍♂️

Our eNiro has been mechanically perfect. Only issues have been 12v, door seals, boot seals and parking sensor failure.

To be clear, I absolutely love my MYLR. It's the best car I've owned as an overall package for the price. The overtaking ability is incredible considering the size and weight of it🚀. I drive it like an ICE, not sparing the throttle, or driving below the speed limit, always at speed limit unless overtaking.

Someone posted on another thread that they've never seen a EV hammering past them, well clearly they've never encountered me.

I'll probably buy a M3P Highland some day, but only when they fix the power discrepancy between CATL and Panasonic batteries.

I agree. I know 2 people personally that had zero rattles in their M3 and MY since day 1.

QC consistency needs to improve. I believe it wouldn't take much to improve fit and finish. A bit more foam/silicone padding around the car would fix a lot of complaints from factory and would prevent a lot of unnecessary work for the rangers and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭yagan

Interesting piece from another RHD country that get their Tesla's from the same factory as Ireland does.

I wonder if they'll send some of their oversupply this way?

I’d be similar. No preheating, no conditioning. Just in and drive as normal.

Interesting to hear about the power differences in the batteries as you mentioned, I’ve seen it mentioned too on forums but the same 0-60 across US, Europe so that to me means there’s no real world difference?

The biggest thing that turned me off the new M3P is Richard Symons review. It’s deffo built better, more comfortable but he said there’s very little if any performance difference.

I’ve been tempted out of the M3P this week though, I’ve been offered a 222 MYLR in white with 20” wheels, acceleration boost and 35000km for €40k. I’m considering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

On the subject of their doors, closing them feels like slapping a biscuit tin lid against a wall. A minor point in the grand scheme of things but one that I hope they fix in future https://www.tiktok.com/%40abenazzzain/video/7258595590387322114

Closing my Fremont car feels like my old Honda Civic alright, a Tin can.
    but the China ones sound exactly the same as my 530e.

Yes there's no real world difference in the older/newer M3P that are made in Shanghai due to the CATL battery. The yanks get the Panasonic battery which does 0-60 in same time as CATL but it must be software limited so there isn't a headline difference between the markets.

The 100-200 time is considerably quicker with the Panasonic battery.

This is the only video I could find drag racing a 24 M3P vs. 21 M3P.

there’s a few videos of 24v21 M3P floating about and it shows the new model pulling away significantly so that contradicts my previous post and RSymons. Some are on tic tok so I can’t post here.

Maybe it’s a case of subtle difference that you don’t notice due to the increased builds and noise reduction so it doesn’t feel as if your pushing as hard.

I’d love to see the difference in the flesh. Maybe this year at runway club if someone brings a new model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

-deleted-

Advertisement