Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan announces he is stepping down as Green Party Leader

• 18-06-2024 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

Eamon Ryan has announced he is stepping down as leader of the Green Party and will not stand in the next general election.

- Catherine Martin is reportedly among the front-runners to replace him as party leader - she narrowly lost out in a leadership contest during the midst of the Covid pandemic, and is currently deputy leader of the Greens

LIVE rolling Link to this event

Post edited by aidanodr on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Probably gonna land in a cushy position at any number of snake oil companies selling hot air offshore wind generators

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The Green's are finished both here and in Europe. It's only so long you can continue to push crazy policies that revolve around taxing everyone out of existence. The Green's thought everyone had 60k down the back of the couch for an electric car, 100k to retrofit your house and the funds to buy their food in a farmers market in some leafy south Dublin park. Ultimately it's their distain for anyone in rural Ireland that will be their downfall. Ryan has done tremendous damage to the nation that will take decades to reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so he's the most incompetent man of all time but you think some private company will just give him a cushy well paid job based on how useless he has proven to be? everyone is saying this i just don't get the logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think he's done a good job as leader. He brought them back from 0 seats in the 2011 General Election to 12 in the 2020 election. He went into government and got a lot of green policies put to the fore. And he did that with the recognition that they will obviously lose a lot of support as a result. He went into power to use that power, rather than trying to just do enough to hang onto power.

And he's recognised that now is a good time to step aside to help the party. Not a popular man, but he should be recognised for the work he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed.

The Green agenda requires individual sacrifice and hardship. That inevitably costs votes. Eamon Ryan's legacy will be the Climate Action Act and public transport and other areas where the Greens have pushed the agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Pity there isnt a calculator around that will tell me how much more im paying in tax and services because if him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm not saying he did well for you specifically. I meant as a Green leader.

Plus - tax isn't a bad thing, it's the price of running a society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,285 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another sunsetter, off to collect his ministerial pension at 61 and live on some hemp farm in the sun.

I am sure many of us would take that if we had the opportunity - decent pensions, not much financial worries when retiring. Its choices he made, best of luck to him

As for the greens - not a fan

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite easy to work out. if you were to lay the carbon tax at his feet, it averages about €122 per year for the average household gas bill, for example. the carbon tax on petrol is 13c per litre, 15c for diesel, etc.

if you're aware of any taxes other than the carbon tax, which he's responsible for, we may be able to help calculate that for you.

💩 floats to the top

And he is quite competent! No one else could have ran the Green Party so competently and expertly into the ground 🤣 and become even more hated than Sinn Fein, that’s an incredible achievement

Well I believe he is a massive part of my electricity bill, gas bill, car fuel bill, waste bins, recycling, brown bin, shopping, housing costs, holidays etc have all gone up far more than they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

One of the most principled, decent and visionary ministers this country has ever seen. History will look very kindly on him. We are living through the impact of climate change and difficult decisions have to be made. We need more Ryan’s and less Michael O’Leary’s.

Reformed character.

Never forget who blocked LNG port Infrastructure which would have brought cheap gas and is anti extraction of gas in Ireland

Gas that’s needed for those extended periods of time wind don’t blow and sun don’t shine

Eamon and his band of green environmentalists

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not difficult to calculate!

7% of your car fuel bill (if you drive a petrol car) is carbon tax. as mentioned, if you have an average gas bill, it's about a tenner a month averaged across the year. your idea of massive and my idea of massive might differ, but my position is that's not massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you're saying some private company will waste a load of money on an incompetent waster? That just doesn't happen mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Doesn't matter that it's Ryan as the minister, these taxes will still come down the line regardless.. Just be glad there's currently no congestion/clean air zones in Ireland's town's and cities..

While I agree in part, surely a thing here is that things go up like this AND our wages do not keep up with these increases at all. I would say thats the core of it TBH. As to what is to blame for that - Cost of living, inflation, wars …

Not defending Ryan, but much you mention there increases wise are due to outside factors I imagine. As a small biz owner I really notice the decrease in disposable income people / businesses have as a result of the increases you mention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's understandable, he was objectively the best transport minister we've ever had.

But unfortunately we do not live in a technocracy. It's all about personality and likeability so we need someone more relatable. Good thing that the major infrastructure projects already already at planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

If Catherine Martin takes over that will be the final nail in the coffin.

Not saying he is responsible for all increases, but environmentalists are certainly costing the average person a lot of money that didnt need to be costing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Transport minister that was anti transport under whose watch Galway Bypass and Metro died and Cork and Limerick still not connected

Keep in mind we are all living with different financial circumstances - a tenner to you may not be much but to others here it is alot. Best of luck to you if you are fortunate enough to be financially secure, I mean that

yes, that's why i mentioned that we have different ideas about how massive that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Metro didn't die.

Galway bypass was a waste and was rightfully canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

This is just incredible news. Great.

And with some luck the fractures go so deep within this organisation, that it dissolves into the earths crust, to be forgotten forever. I am absolutely elated. The cult policies and cult behaviors of this crowd are crazy.

we can all do our bit, chip in, be sensible, go through a thought process, introduce sensible policies without hammering ppl on bullsh1t carbon taxes and telling you that the latest 70k electric car con will save the world.

if the greens had their way, there would be no farming in Ireland either……that was one of their shady agendas as i understood it too….yes, a party definitely not to be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MOL stunt more like.

Can't imagine workers doing that without "encouragement", or maybe paid actors.

Advertisement