Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Catherine Martin will probably be the new leader by default, but after the 'leadership' she has shown with the RTE debacle, they are truly fcuked

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you saying you basically accused him of hypocrisy for not making his own clothes? if so, maybe his reasons for being appalled were not what you thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MFPM

I suppose Ryan's decision further indicates an Autumn election, he probably had to go. Martin will likely replace him but it's hard to see her make a huge difference to their prospects. I assume he won't stand in the election so they'll definitely lose his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ Sam Russell

"We are in the middle of the hottest year worldwide ever, with raging
    fires and raging floods and droughts like never before. Climate change
    is not on its way, it is here now, and getting worse."

Could you tell us when this global warming will hit Ireland please? As it has'nt went above 19c here in Dublin all year,in fact it's June the 18th today and a high of 14c is the best Met Eireann say we can expect today!! The reason why the people of Ireland hate the greens is because they're on about global warming,taxing us to death with carbon taxes,yet we have to go to Spain for a bit of sun and heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shimadzu

Think this is part of the problem, these schemes are only open to those on welfare payments.

The working class have to fund these improvements themselves and with most of the companies looking for state contracts it has made it quite expensive for those who have to pay for any green upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Strange to see at this point. I wonder if this indicates no near term election, to allow a new leader to bed in like Simon Harris in FG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I didn't accuse him of anything.

I just pointed out that it seemed neither he nor his fellow cadres had any particular interest in living a low-consumption lifestyle as such. Clothes was just one example that came up in the discussion.

Low consumption is an area where huge voluntary action is possible...yet it's the dog that didn't bark.

The 'green' movement is entirely about imposing changes on unwilling people in the context of forcing through political rules.

Often these rules are aimed sideways at groups living very differently from suburban green voters.

Then we wonder why its unpopular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people who understand climate talk about climate, people who don't understand climate talk about weather.

i mean, it's not difficult to find things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Unless you're a working person paying tax and mortgage on your old property. Then you have to fund the costs yourself with what pittance you have left, while costs are now skyrocketing as increased demand due to government funding this scheme along with general increased costs of building due to green levies. Meanwhile heating your energy inefficient house costs more as carbon taxes are applied to your bill, as if heating your house in Winter in Ireland is some kind of luxury extravagance that people can opt out of. T

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Climite crisis. 😆😆😆😆

Let's stop the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Green agenda is to improve public transport with Metrolink, Dart extension, Busconnects, plus Rural Link. No taxes there.

The carbon tax is being used to fund the insulation of homes to reduce their energy consumption and their running costs. So the tax is used to reduce peoples heating costs.

Farmers are going for intensification of production to pay for their larger and larger tractors. Wiser farmers are going organic, and cutting out expensive artificial fertilizers. It is a different farming philosophy, but successful for those that make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

If you're in the bottom 40% of household income and have any children at all, you qualify for the working family payment and likely for this scheme as well. Would be hard to say these folk aren't "working class"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MFPM

I'm reading it as the opposite, he knows the election is relatively imminent and he needs to give Martin some chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I suggest you looking into climate change

We seem to be now in a constant season, we no longer have a cold winter and a sunny summer. We had farms flooded for months at the start of the year they couldn't get cattle out etc

Yet we see daily posts from people who think Climate change is going to mean they don't have to go to Spain in the summer for "a bit of sun and heat"

Do you think the floods in the like of Ibiza at the moment are normal?

They keep denying the election will be anytime soon, the Greens will now need time as well if they have a new leader I expect the policies will need to tweak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I dont think the Greens reshuffling is in the same league as a FF or FG reshuffle, so I doubt the change would lead to a GE delay, as its unlikley the Greens will be part of the next govt anyway.

Harris does seem to want more time to bed in his FG policies however, so a 2024 GE doesn't look nailed on.

much as i would be sympathetic to the green party, they're not good at things like leadership changes or the challenges arising. they're a little too well versed at airing their dirty linen in public.

also am curious as to whether ryan will stand again at the next GE, it's often considered good form for him to vamos to give the new leader the air to take charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Catherine martin the minister for Rte is favourite to succeed eamonn

You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's ridiculous on one hand but not unexpected on the other.

Anyway I'm firmly anti the greens so I'm happy with the change. Not that ryan was a great leader or anything but his heretofore safe seat in leafy south dublin's affluence is now not safe. Any reduction in the GPs number of seats is good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭eggy81

People rightly or wrongly see their policies as having added tax and inconvenience to their lives and I suppose the main gov parties are delighted to let them bear the brunt of the public criticism.

• Advertisement

Eamonn managed to take them from nothing back into government

More than most party leader' have ever managed in their lifetime

They are never going to be popular with people and are a easy target, the Green party in the current term are getting blamed for stuff they had nothing to do with, like the closing of ESB power stations which was put in place before the last election

The big news item was turf, which both FF and FG blamed to ban before the last election but didn't get around to it. Yet it blew up this time and all the the blame laid with Green Party

Been firm anti Green and a new leader will not change their policies, even if they get kicked out of government next time don't expect a massive change in policies from the government, the path has already been set multiple years ago with some small tweaks made by the Greens

Some peopel seem to think(not you) removing the Green party and suddenly Ireland will decide to go nuclear, we won't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Arrogant much? I think Pele are well capable of distinguishing between climate and weather. The greens are in trouble because of attitudes like this.

you did see the post i was responding to?

Read the original post when the person had no idea about the difference in climate and weather

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The response was directed at someone making the asinine argument that because the weather was fine where they were, climate change must be a hoax.

The dismissive attitude was warranted against such willing myopia as "sure it's grand where I am!".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It rained non-stop for ten months. Even in Ireland, that's not normal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greens are fcuked, but that was to be expected going in with ffg, those lads will never change, and still enough will come out and vote them back in, we re stuck in a perpetual cycle of ffg unfortunately…..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Except the trees took 20-30 years to gather in that carbon, when you burn coal or oil you're releasing stored carbon from millions of years ago. It's not hard to understand.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, if you don't like Ireland being a democracy, pack your bags and get lost. I hear prospects for people like you are looking up in the USA.

• Advertisement

Yes it' been terrible for Ireland with all those jobs and people been able to work here, have a family and grow old

The grass is greener always comes to mind when I see these comments, do you think it was better when majority of people didn't even finish secondary school education and got shipped out of Ireland to work on sites etc because no other option?

Ireland is an excellent place to live in, that is down to governments and the people of Ireland. If you don't like it, the number of flights out of Ireland is massive and Im sure you can find a paradise in another country (Be warned that all countries in the World have issues and some a lot bigger than Ireland)

Advertisement