Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ryan said in his speech he won't be standing in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People who want to scare monger about climate change quote cherry picked weather extremes ad-nauseam to make their point, like last summers little heat wave that hit Sicily.

When it suit's, weather extremes provide unending examples of climate change, but when it doesn't suit, or the examples are counter the appeal to panic, some clever clogs will trot out some nonsesense about not using examples of weather to make statements about climate.

The hypocrisy is boring at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not just fund them themselves, the greens have actually cut grant support for the ordinary working stiff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It didn't though, yes it was wet, but Ireland is generally wet, and dreary, hence why we go to Spain on holidays. Here's some numbers to show how the average rainfall has been. Of course you are free to provide more detailed statistics.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data/public-works/athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

….supporters of ffg need to realise the dangers of ignoring the fact, a large and potentially growing number are now starting to move towards radical views and candidates, theres clearly something fundamentally wrong with governments approach to critical issues such as housing, this isnt gonna end well!

its clearly obvious ffg are now gonna do everything in their power to block any sort of alternative governments, now is that really democracy!

talking about the us, maybe an element of their issues is by only having two main parties, and no real alternatives to governance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And I'm sure the useless I'll informed criticism will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those who were paying attention during the decades-long farce of the Shannon stopover know that hobbling Dublin to try to benefit some other part of the country never works. When you hobble Dublin the whole country suffers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

The harm & damage he's done will last unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Assuming the Green Party would take a few weeks for a leadership campaign, a machiavellian taoiseach would call an election today, and let the Green Party go into the election campaign leaderless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No a large growing number are not.

A few are and they are mostly moving from the likes of PBP, SF etc. Let them off, the video flowing around of these radical view are a bunch of plonkers on social welfare with nothing better to do, like the last crusade of driving around Ireland attacking people installing water meters.

You are trying to say a political party is fixing elections and that is not the case. Never has been and never was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a taoiseach clever enough to be machiavellian will call an election when best suits his own party, rather than time it to hobble another party, especially not one which is very likely to garner much fewer seats than previously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know the current government introduced vastly more green measures than the GP were responsible for. There were a lot from EU directives for instance, or already agreed commitments.

However, having a green minister for transport never sat well with me. I'm firmly anti green party and have been for years, despite being what should be their target base, 3 EVS outside and solar panels on the roof. I'm well over 100k into green initiatives. They (along with the rest of the government) are too prone to too much stick and not enough carrot approach, as well as giving incorrect carrots that simply waste taxpayer money and not getting any return. Punishing people blindly is not the way to achieve change. Adequately and correctly funding alternatives is the best way but we don't see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The greens could end up with two leadership elections in 2024. I think it's in their party rules that they must have a contest after a general election.

The forecast poor result would have seen Ryan out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…keep an eye on aging demographic, if you think your pension fund is gonna be able to support you as you age, you might wanna think again, and also keep an eye on our health system deterioration, thankfully theres enough young folks just to keep it all going, again, as you age!

irelands an excellent place to live, for those whos critical needs are currently being met, i.e. health care and housing etc, it isnt exactly amazing if theyre not, i.e. many younger folks!

i love it here, just like you i love this country, but i also realise, if you dont bring people along, particularly younger folks, you end up like japan, i.e. selling more adult nappies than children's nappies, and ultimately stagnation, so be very careful what you wish for there!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why not? Less disposable cheaply made crap, replaced by higher quality things that actually fulfil their purpose and can last for years.

Public water fountains are better than 500 million single use disposable plastic bottles

Reusable cutlery is better than plastic single use crap at 'restaurants'

Decent quality shoes are better than the utter shite in supermarkets that break after being worn 2 or 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

You've received 10s of thousands in subsidies for EVs and Solar panels, and likely fuel costs too for your cars, and you're talking about too much stick not enough carrot?

Do you want a whole carrot farm or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You can't go to Spain for sun anymore because it's too damn hot over there all summer long. I don't want to risk roasting to death in 40+ Celcius any time from May to October

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eamonn finally got FIT in for solar and 0% VAT on installations

Not full EV yet, still one big diesel but have spent lots on renewables as well.

I didn't vote Green Party, but I can see what they tried to do.

The stick is not going away, no matter who goes in, the Green party got the blame now for Government stick, who is up next to get the blame?

Imaginary stuff they seen on TikTok/Twitter I would expect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was going to joke 'i dunno about you, but my car was seized forcibly and crushed yesterday because eamon ryan' but i'm wary of posting stuff like that because it'll be like the 'you eat eight spiders in the course of your lifetime' effect.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bloody hell - looks like not all right wingers think he was the disaster some here are saying...

well; he states he was successful at making changes! he doesn't say the changes were good or bad.

You're not wrong.

But now I have a mental image of a chorus line of judges doing the Can-Can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭pureza

She's in America at the moment

Ironically flying business class as she was seen entering the 51st and green lounge on thursday which is for business class to the states or very frequent flyers

(Ok you can pay in too)

Theres great amusement in hypocrisy

But those figures do not show the average rainfall.

Meanwhile

The winter of 2023/2024 was the eleventh consecutive season with above average temperatures.

Rainfall: Above average in most places, wettest in the West

Nearly all rainfall totals were above their Long-Term Average 1981-2010 (LTA) for the season. Percentage of rainfall values ranged from 96% (seasonal rainfall total of 348.3 mm) at Sherkin Island, Co Cork to 139% (seasonal rainfall total of 454.5 mm) at Athenry, Co Galway. Seasonal rainfall totals ranged from 200.5 mm (104% of its LTA) at Phoenix Park, Co Dublin to 617.0 mm (130% of its LTA) at Newport, Co Mayo.

Temperature: Above average everywhere

Eleventh consecutive season with above average temperatures at most stations.
    All mean air temperatures across the country were above their LTA for the season. Deviations from mean air temperature ranged from 0.7 °C (6.2 °C mean temperature) at Markree, Co Sligo to 1.7 °C (6.9 °C mean temperature) at Phoenix Park, Co Dublin.

Dublin Airport had its warmest winter since 1992 with a mean temperature of 6.6 °C (1.2 °C above its LTA).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I always thought Ryan was for the birds, glad to see him retire from politics, but i am really worried about who will follow him, will the Green party succumb to the Martin/Duffy family dynasty, the green Healy Raes😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you really believe that then congratulations - the fearmongering online has successfully misinformed you.

Spain and rest of Mediterranean Europe is not 40 Celsius for most of summer, not even close. The world is not burning down, the bad news that always happened is just being reported more now because scary bad news = more clicks and more ad revenue

Advertisement