Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casement Park watch.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Won't be built. It's not a vote getter and nobody in mainland UK gives a shite about the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It will mean a rejig of the venues for the Euros. At present it is 6 in England, and one each in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It is being reported on network BBC today, as well as in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It wasn't a tall ask. Not in the slightest.

Only in that sht show above would something so simple be a tall ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭rrs

They didn't need as many Countries, it seemed to be to keep everyone happy. There was enough good stadiums in England , Scotland and Wales. England alone could have hosted it, but the fiasco from the Euro 21 final would have damaged that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There was a theory doing the rounds (probably bullshit) that England wanted to go alone but UEFA told them it's a joint bid or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭rrs

It could be possible. England hosted Euro 96 . The Euro final against Italy was really poorly managed.

Ueffa seen to be want to spread it out. The last Euros was across a load of Counties. This years tournament in Germany should be good as just the one host Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They are hardly going to give out 5 automatic spots are they ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Well England definitely don't care if Casement Park is available or not. No sleep will be lost there.

They'd be happier if they can switch it to an alternative venue in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

They care enough to send death threats to one of our soccer players and abuse him for a decade. There are many loyalists in GB.

18 June 2024, ahead of UK elections on 04 July.

Hilary Benn can't write a blank cheque for Casement Park.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz55jgvl720o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Curious what lads think is a good existing template for a Casement Park redevelopment? What ground exists that they should leverage for the 60m or whatever they end up getting for it?

I can't personally think of one, but for my money every mid sized GAA ground should aim to emulate Ravenhill - great mix of terracing, seats & corporate. That's the experience the GAA need to start moving toward, none of this Mars bars on a fold out table behind a stand nonsense that one of ye mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tallaght (but with some terraces), Ravenhill or a less flamboyant looking version of Thomond Park. One of those 3 depending on the size and needs of the county.

Personally I can't understand why people love places like Thurles and Clones but they do so both should be built to PuC spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Labour’s Shadow minister for NI, Hilary Benn, said there cannot be a “blank cheque” for Casement. Article also says the process to remove NI from the list of venues for Euro 2028 is imminent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz55jgvl720o

If it is going to be used for the Euros, it has to be all seating. And a minimun capacity of 30,000. Earlier in the thread there was reference to a plan to replace some seating with terraces following the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's clearly not going ahead at this point in terms of it being a venue for the Euro's.

But there is still significant funds allocated to it, thus I'm asking the question what type of GAA ground would it be best to emulate in its redevelopment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Somebody mentioned Ravenhill,I think it would be great to have something along those lines. Unfortunately that's not the design of Provincial grounds in GAA.You're generally looking at a decent stand with bucket seats,3 open sides with terrace/concrete benches and sometimes (but rarely) plastic seats,For example Limeric,Nowlan Park

The fact that this stadium is partly funded by the British and is in a different jurisdiction might make a difference.

Whilst the whole thing would have being a white elephant theres no denying its definitely a huge opportunity lost to have a great GAA stadium in belfast and the North.

As I said it may have been a white elephant but now there's no elephant (or stadium) of any colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

Just because it was the way provincial stadiums were built doesn't mean it should continue.

They should try and focus on building something like Doncaster Rovers stadium which cost £20m and holds just over 15k. You could even terrace either end to bring down the cost and push up capacity but the atmosphere in a stadium like that would be electric

https://images.app.goo.gl/STy3RGqMgA8ddcwV9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I agree.

Doesn't look like anything like that will happen now though.(Your link isn't working for me but I'm familiar with Doncaster, I have an interest in stadiums)

An opportunity lost,its looking like no stadium be it GAA style or otherwise will be built.

Since this was first proposed to an actual ground being built at all will be a generation or more.Sad situation.

Ps,there's no way they'd get a ground like built at Casement for that price now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The GAA needs to push for the allocation of cash to be on a par with that what was given for Ravenhill and Windsor and have it linked to inflation also.

Forget about the Euros, its not happening. Cut their cloth to its measure. Put in two decent sized covered stands on each side of the ground and two good standing terraces at either end. Bring capacity up to about 35k and you'd have a ground fit to host Ulster finals, and a few concerts each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

35k is not needed. No one in NI wants to go to casement to an Ulster final especially anyone west of Lough Neagh.

Antrim are a small GAA county. They don't have a large following. League games attract a couple of thousand at most. How can you justify building a 35k stadium for that level of crowd. More people would pass through Doncasters stadium in a month than through Casement in a year and you want to build something over twice the size. It's total nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The GAA needs to push for the allocation of cash to be on a par with that what was given for Ravenhill and Windsor

It was. In fact, Casement was given the biggest slice of the pie.

There was 138million allocated by Stormont in total.

Casement Park got 61 million.

Irish League soccer got 36million.

Windsor Park got 25 million.

Ulster Rugby got 15 million.

Advertisement