Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of FG?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

14 years in power and still the most popular party in Ireland.

They must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The opposition usually has a bump in the locals against a sitting government, especially a long term one, yet SF were barely out of single digit %. FG and by extension the current government were the largest grouping.

There's no decline. And furthermore I can't see any other grouping than FG+FF+Others in the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When you consider that for only the second time in the history of the state, Fine Gael got the largest vote in the local elections, the title of this thread is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

I wasn't seeing any signs of SF getting 11% in the opinion polls either.

What are those signs? They were the most popular party after these elections in terms of first preference by less than 1% but in the locals ended up with less seats than FF.

I'd be amazed if Micheal Martin isn't thinking about having 5 years as Taoiseach vs splitting it. If offered one over the other I'd be fairly confident he would take the 5 years. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to be in that position but he must be thinking about the potential permutations and numbers.

A 9% drop in voted from their last European elections and just under 3% in the locals. That's a decline, you can't paint it any other way. In general elections, they've gone from 35% in 2011 to 21% in 2020. Again, that's a decline and it's not even debatable.

FG going in with Independent Ireland would be a very interesting decision. I don't know how thrilled their membership would be with that one.

• Advertisement

2020 was the time for this thread, they have bottomed out and are on the rise again, back to first place, back to the vote going up.

If the thread was entitled "the rebirth of FG" or even " the halting of decline in FG", it would be more accurate.

They lost 9% on the Europeans. Their first preference in the Europeans was less than the 2020 General Election. Calling that a rebirth is being extremely generous (wrong, is a more accurate term realisticslly).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd be amazed if Micheal Martin isn't thinking about having 5 years as Taoiseach vs splitting it. If offered one over the other I'd be fairly confident he would take the 5 years. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to be in that position but he must be thinking about the potential permutations and numbers.

For FF to have significantly more seats than SF after the general election would take a further seismic shift in the respective votes of both parties, on top of the decline SF has already experienced.

Unless and until general election opinion polls start reflecting the results of the local elections, I doubt Martin will be considering the scenario you envisage as a realistic prospect.

And they were still the biggest party? Correct me if I am wrong, but if FG are the biggest party from being third biggers party, but in decline, then surely the decline is greater in the other parties?

If judging it since 2011 general election or the 2016 election then FG's decline is the greatest. Local, Europeans and general elections have different dynamics and criteria so a cross measurement can be flawed too.

They've decline from their results in the last locals and Europeans. They've declined from the 2016 general election to the 2020 general election. The question is will they be able to stop the rot at the next general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

FG have declined but given how long they have been in government it would have been shocking if their vote hadn't gone down. If you are in opposition you can promise everything under the sun and you never have to worry about actually having to implement your ideas. You don't have that luxury in government and worse TDs are human, the government has limited resources and has to deal with people who don't want to see change in various areas of the state. That means in government mistakes will be made and every time you make a decision even if it's the correct one you are going to annoy someone in. All those things cost votes.

You are holding FG/any government party to a completely unrealistic standard if you don't expect their % of the vote to drop especially after how long FG have been in power.

The best way for FG to stop the rot would not to go into government after the next election. They can go into opposition and have the luxury of not having to make decisions like all opposition parties. From a FG point of view if the economy nosedives/anything like that even better.

The reason there is a thread on SF is because they have dipped in the polls/plateaued and in general not been able to take advantage of the benefits that come with being in opposition that you would expect. Especially given how long FG have been in power.

The reason for that is arguably because of the growth in popularity of independent candidates. A very diverse group that have taken votes from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

On the face of it, yes its a decline. But you are ignoring the context.

They have been in power since 2011. There are teenagers alive today, who don't know any other government but one with FG in it.

Look across the water. The Tories have been in power about the same time and they are on the cusp of an electoral drubbing they have not experienced in their 190-year history.

Given all that context, and their support in the recent elections, they are looking OK.

If they do OK in the GE, they could be in for another 5 year term. That is 4 terms. No one has done that in Ireland since Dev in the 1930's.

Not bad for a party in decline.

You are just proving my point, the time for this thread was immediately after the 2020 general election.

The decline has stopped now, they are the biggest party in Ireland. The fact that they have become the biggest party, while in decline in your view, says more about general changes than about FG. You are missing the point.

FG's decline reflects the decline in all parties - Labour, FF, SF, Greens, FG and even PBP are all below historical highs, and to use your criteria, are all in decline. A relevant thread would look at increased fragmentation of the body politic, or the rise of independents.

In respect of declines, FF have had the biggest decline, but that occurred mainly in 2011, the next biggest decline is in SF who are down from 37% in the polls only 18 months ago to 11% in the local elections. The decline in FF is old news so no need for a thread, the decline in SF is recent and precipitous, so worthy of a thread in itself.

As for FG, if becoming the biggest party means the story is about your decline, there is something wrong with the thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I see the SF decline thread has rattled a few people

Have FG declined since 2011 when they went into government? Yes

Have FG declined when after the last election they said they would go into opposition? No

Have they managed to still have two Taoiseach since a terrible election? Yes

Did they have a bad local election? No

Did they do massively better than predicted by all the so called experts? Yes

Bang away on the decline angle

Just watch the interviews after the local elections to see who is in decline, Simon laughing and joking. Other leaders struggling to find words and digging holes for themselves with stupid statements.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At this point, I'd agree that the most likely outcome for the GE will be FG+FF plus others

The "others" won't be the Greens so the next likely grouping are either Independent Ireland or perhaps an SD/Labour combo.

The issue for II would appear to be their likely inability to present a consolidated face in negotiations and not being able to guarantee that their TD's will observe the Government whip.

Which makes me think an SD/Labour group or possibly just SD on their own will be the more likely 3rd arm of the next Government.

They could get there on their own if the transfers work out as well as in the local elections.

Then they could add on the Greens that are left (probably three to four) for extra margin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can't see them getting there just between the two of them and suspect that they'll need maybe 7/8 seats to get to a Majority.

The Greens will be lucky to have 2 or maybe 3 seats at most so aren't really going to be at the races in terms of negotiations.

If the SD's are coming to the table with ~10 seats they will be in a very strong position to get a good deal in forming a government.

In the European elections, FF and FG had 41.2% between them, in the local elections it was 45.9%. In the latter, the Greens 3.6% gave the government parties a total of 49.5%, pretty much enough to win an overall majority.

However, as I pointed out the Euros were more disappointing, and the combined government vote would be 46.6%, which would probably fall short. Incidentally, at 5.4% in the Euros, the Greens are not far off their general election 2020 performance of 7.1%. A new leader and some momentum could see them keep 6/7 of the 12.

A lot to play for. It all depends on what Sinn Fein do. Getting some decent policies instead of none, toning down the UI rhetoric which has no immediate meaning to anyone and dumping the old men with links to terrorism and they might come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If the SD's are coming to the table with ~10 seats they will be in a very strong position to get a good deal in forming a government.

Could still be touch & go though. I susect this is what is behind the talk of Labour, Soc Dems & Greens forming a common front. Even if Labour & Greens have only four or five seats between them that could make the difference between a precarious majority and a comfortable one for FF/FG/Soc Dems

The most interesting outcome of the local and European elections, is that if Sinn Fein continue to poll at 11%, a government of FF or FG with SD/Labour/Greens with some like-minded independent support is now mathematically possible. For example, Sinn Fein with 11%, FF with 18% and FG on 25% would make that scenario possible, with both FF and SF ending up in opposition. On the other hand, with SF on 14%, FF on 24%, government without FG is also possible with the SD/Labour in support. The Shinners on here would cry a river about being a mudguard though.

Politics suddenly got interesting again. Only six months ago FF/FG/other and FF/SF were the only two possible future governments. A lot more are now possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are only a mudguard if you let yourself be one.

I expect a decline, but 15% in just over a decade is a very significant decline.

There's been a few times this thread would have been suitable and accurate. As above, they lost 15% in just over a decade so there's been plenty of decline over the years.

They lost 9% in this European election compared to their 2019 European election. That's a decline, I don't know why you are struggling to understand losing 9% is a decline tbh. They've lost nearly 3% since the previous local elections. Again, that's a decline.

Still to be determined if they can stop the rot at the next general election or not.

I'm not sure where SD could pick up an extra four seats though.

https://irishelectionprojections.com/2024/05/26/may-2024-projections-update/

Before the Sinn Fein collapse in the local and European elections, this website was predicting 9 seats for the Social Democrats, it will only have gone up since.

That;s funny. They lost 9%, whereas the total SF voteshare was around 9% too.

I see no decline, for FG, and stand by that the most likely government will be FG+FF+Others, likely SD and independents. An unprecedented 4th term for a FG government, not sure even FF in the heyday from the 30's to the 00's ever did that?!

But…but…but…they are in decline!!?!!

This thread has me completely puzzled.

Zero seats for Labour? Hard to take the site seriously with a prediction like that.

General Election 2011 - 35%

General election 2020 - 21%

European Elections 2019 - 29%

Eurooean Elections 2024 - 21%

I really have no idea how you can't spot the decline there.

Okay, we're clearly ignoring the rise of independents. SF trajectory to 9% voteshare has been rebuked as a decline, so a situation where FG are still the biggest party cannot be marked as a decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

2011 election is a blip. People voting FG because of FF links with the financial collapse. Harry McGee did some transfer analysis on the recent elections. Mainly three voting blocks who transferred well internally, Lb/Greens/Soc Dems/PBP, FG/FF, SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Somebody’s decline is normally marked by the rise of somebody else.
    This is just more upset about a perfectly legitimate descriptor.
    FG have declined and others have risen.

Advertisement