Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

ah right fair enough, I guess everyone has a bar for it. If this wasn’t then you must rarely see a sportsperson choke, fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Distance-wise, it was his worst out of however many putts he's hit in 2024 which is a lot more than 497. The point is, the stat being quoted widely at the moment is painting a picture that he holed 496 putts from that distance in 2024. He didn't. That impression is being given to maximise and exaggerate the scale of his failure to win. Much like some of the other hyperbolic language being used.

FWIW, I thought the putt on 16 was much worse than the one on 18. The miss on 16 came from nowhere, it was relatively straight and he seemed to jerk it. The putt on 18 was a horrible putt. Wasn't a good effort by any means but it was a much tougher putt IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

McIlroy is 35. He has 4 majors. He knows what it requires. I remember Faldo, then 35 as well, in 1992 at Muirfield. He went into it with a 4 shot lead but by the time he was standing on the 15th tee he was 2 behind John Cook. Faldo said he wasn’t choking but (like DeChambeau) he was making a mess of it all. Cook, now with the title in his grasp with a two shot lead, missed a 2 footer on the 17th for birdie and then bogeyed the 18th. He lost by a shot. Faldo having to hit, in his opinion, the shot of his life into the 18th to pip him. Did Cook choke? I reckon, like Rory, he did. Cook suddenly finding himself in the lead. A major on the line. Short miss and compounded by a bogey at the last. Rory missing shots, DeChambeau having to hit the shot of his life to pip Rory.

Pressure can do that regardless if you’re a journeyman having the week of your life or a 4 time major winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

That impression is being given to maximise and exaggerate the scale of his failure to win….Much like some of the other hyperbolic language being used.

The stat is being used because its the most relevant stat available. Nobody has the stat on that exact distance and that stat would be meaningless. Inside 3ft is a putt PGA Tour Pros make 96% of the time on average. The putt on 16 he missed was a gimme.

The stats drop off very quickly after 3 ft.

There's no exaggeration, it was a choke.

yeah that’s fair enough but let’s face it that’s the media for you. I just don’t feel sorry for sport stars when they screw up and still earn a few million. Yeah 18 was a lot tougher , I expected that to be a 50/50 given the pressure.

• Advertisement

But the stat is misleading. I'm not disputing that the pressure got to Rory, it's close to impossible to make a credible argument that it didn't, but the stat without context is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Both of those are very apt for how Rory and Bryson actually played the final round. I wouldn't call either a choker as I don't like the term though. I have to say that it was a very interesting final round played on a very tight and difficult course. Really enjoyable.

the stat isnt misleading at all. He made 496 of the previous putts ranging from 0-3ft. All relevant information is given.

That putt was a gimme.

He should make that putt 96% of the time (and i suspect his actual stats are higher)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

have to laugh at people who don’t think terms or words should be used because they openly admit they don’t like said words or phrases ! 🤣

they probably don’t like terms such as millennials or softies either 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

He must be close. Those who say he'can't compete or win at the highest level are ignoring the fact that he's regularly competing in Majors and competed brilliantly in the US Open where he beat everyone except himself.

• Advertisement

Have no opinion on either word. My point on the word “meltdown” is that I don’t like it but that’s not why I think it shouldn’t be used in this context. There are certain connotations that come with the word, it’s emotive, it’s hyperbolic and I don’t think it’s appropriate for sport.

But yeah, reduce it to I don’t think it should be used “because I don’t like it.” Jesus wept.

McIlroy let the pressure get to him, no doubt. But why people have to resort to pretty extreme words to describe it escapes me. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.

It’s being understood that he made 496 putts of 3 feet by some people. In fact, the post I originally quoted said just that. Fact is, within that 496 will be a lot of much shorter putts, relatively speaking, than the ones he missed on Sunday. The stat is not really relevant.

Fact is, Rory missed two putts he’d have expected to make and did it when the pressure was on. That tells a story. It doesn’t need stats to be quoted, out of context, to illustrate what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

As Oscar Wilde might say 'To miss one short putt is unfortunate; to miss two looks like carelessness'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you are getting caught up in semantics.

A “meltdown” is commonly used in sporting parlance to indicate the person/team’s performance imploded due to pressure or emotion. There really is no other connotation inferred.

In relation to the putt statistic, I don’t think anyone thinks he succeeded in holing the precise same putt 496 times, I suspect everyone else took it =< 3 feet. And to be fair, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t expect an elite golfer to hole those every time, that is the context to the stat.

It’s being understood that he made 496 putts of 3 feet by some people.

People are not understanding it like that. It is not being presented that way.

The stat from Justin Ray:

Rory McIlroy was 496-for-496 putting inside 3 feet this season before that miss.

There’s nothing misleading about that. If people don’t understand what “inside 3 feet” means, that’s not on the journalist. It’s not being used to exagerate anything nor is it misleading as you claim. It’s given in its context.

Youve an odd and weird issue with the English language and how people use it.

How is a meltdown emotive? It’s a word often used in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I seem to recall someone having a bit of a meltdown on the back 9 in Augusta about 13 years ago.

I personally wouldn’t call missing 2 putts a meltdown

he could have missed them on Thursday and it wouldn’t be getting this much attention

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Ted222

10 years of learnings? People have become surgeons with a shorter period of learnings.

100% agree with this.

He wasn’t in the same pairing so he had some excuse but storming off the way he did looks poor. Ultimately though, it affects him most. It points perhaps to a weakness of character that is may be why he hasn’t won a major in 10 years.

He’s just too emotional and lacks resilience when faced with adversity. Same with his stance on LIV. He got embroiled in the whole controversy, becoming the de facto voice of the PGA when the smart move would have been to say nothing.

Great golfer but he doesn’t seem to have the ability to cope in situations of adversity or high pressure. I wish him well but he’s a bit of a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In fairness since I wrote that he has come out the following day praising the winner - look the vast majority of us don’t know what goes on at that level - I posted that comment more out of concern for Rory’s recovery from that experience rather than any criticism per se- but it’s probably worth him exploring that over the coming months- the game of golf at that level is all in the mind so you need to get your mind straight - hopefully whatever about the golf lessons he’ll reflect on from a technique perspective, he’ll also learn something about defeat or indeed handling the pressure throughout a potential win - mind games can be desperate in sport

His congratulatory message was nice alright but his inability to cope in the moment points to a lack of mental resilience when the chips are down.

It would have been better for his own state of mind if he could somehow have found the strength to front up. Doing it the next day is better than not doing it at all but I think his weakness is still revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We don't know the ins and outs of it - but the LIV split I'd say was a factor.

Call it a hunch - and it was mentioned on Newstalk - but Garcia being there was not a help at all.

Still think there should be someone in his team - that can say , Rory - it is fairly customary to just hang around a bit - go shake Bryson's hand and then we get the **** out of here - meet up with Shane , have a beer.

ah come on he’s big enough and bold enough for Garcia being there to make feck all difference surely. I’ve no issue with him scarpering tbh, it’s evidence that it was a choke/meltdown anyway.

Exactly that.

Even if Garcia is winding him up, he should be able to ignore him after all these years. If he can’t, that’s probably why Garcia is still at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Open/British Open etc, we've been in that hornets nest before so posts deleted as OT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Jesus we Irish really love to kick a man when there down! The amount of traffic this thread has got since he lost is gas! A lot of posters too that never post anything in the golf forum 😂 If he had of won, it wouldn't of got as much traffic! Rory is one of the most honest golfers in the game! and always one of the first to congratulate fellow Pro's.

Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes. All the back ground noise with the wife too. The fact people are going mad he didnt hang around to congratulate Bryson etc is mad! Anything to find fault. They weren't even in the same group ffs.. and the fact he left the way he did fair play to him. He gives so much to the game (and yes obviously has got a lot too) but he's human and was totally dejected. Shows how badly he wants to win a major which is great to see considering all the money he has! He could retire tomorrow and never hit a golf ball again if he wanted! Great to see passion in sport especially when their multi millionaires! I dont blame him pulling out of the next tournament he's not a robot and that would of took a lot out of him. Especially with the intensity and then to lose.. He still is one of the best players in the game and has been for the last decade! Thats the best I have seen him play in a major since he last won one on a very difficult course. One maybe you could say 2 mistakes cost him - Fine margins! I personally think the main one was the 7I when he over shot the green.. But yet Cantley also hit 7I to dead centre.. Its a funny auld game.

Gas thing is if he didnt make the cut he be still be getting called a bottle job! 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t think it was comment worthy?

I suspect there has been more comment in the media world wide about Mcilroys performance than there has been about Bryson’s, but you don’t think it should be discussed on a thread about Rory McIlroy?

That’s remarkable.

7I when he over shot the green.. But yet Cantley also hit 7I to dead centre.. Its a funny auld game.

Rory and Cantlay hit the ball different distances with their clubs. Nothing really strange about it.

I just find the amount of traffic this thread gets when Rory fcuks up gas! Especially from posters who you never see in the golf forum.

Where did I say there was anything strange? I was pointing out the fine margins and how both can hit 7i with different results for the key board warriors who probably dont even play golf.

• Advertisement

I didn’t realise the thread was a fan page? Plenty don’t like Rory, so are very fast to discuss his choke. Sport would be boring if everyone loved everyone.

Advertisement