Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options
1105106107108109111»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭monkeyactive

NIce Write up on one of my favourite films. I'll take you to task on Orlando though , his wooden dimensionality was purposeful casting , a centre with too much gravity like Russel Crowe or otherwise would have drawn too much from where our attention would be better spread.

She is beautiful.

I actually found Back to Black offensive.

It was a shocking one dimensional Character assassination of Amy Winehouse with the tone of a Disney teen movie.

Her father was involved in it which says it all really.

Check out the documentary "Amy"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think they could have found someone who at least seemed to occupy the same world as the rest of the cast; Bloom was so dead, so wooden I never bought into the idea of the guy at all. It didn't have to be Crowe but someone who could do the Silent Dignity act without looking lost. Like I said Eva Green alone kinda ate his lunch just with a look

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, Bloom sucks the life out of that film whenever he's on the screen, whether it was deliberate casting or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I actually had a hunt for some background but couldn't find anything saying if Bloom was a studio mandate or a choice by Scott's production.

Not sure who, in 2005, would have made a better choice but the extended cut was indeed legitimately fabulous, but constantly undercut by its central paragon of virtue.

• Advertisement

Scott's cut of the film turns an ok picture into a very good one and not all director's cuts do that. But poor Orlando just isn't up to it. In fact outside of Legolas I don't think he brings anything much to any role he's been in. He's just another actor, in a long list of actors and actresses, who's merely a face that the camera likes.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

"As a physician, you of all people should appreciate the dangers of opening old wounds"

God damn but when the scripts of the original series' films let its primary trio off the leash to doodle in the emotional margins, it was that rare form of cinematic alchemy; Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly may not have been the strongest actors individually but their combined energies and chemistry always allowed for the kind of interpersonal & soulful bickering that with good writing, let these actors and characters truly seem like souls who had shared lives & careers together. So much about Kirk's past, and a hitherto unknown past relationship with Dr. Marcus, had to be established yet with this efficient bit of writing so much was communicated to the audience in a single line - then enhanced by Shatner's irritated and wounded reaction to Kelly's affectionate-but-misplaced jibe. Many jokes have been cracked at William Shatner's (in)famous acting style, but films like this did demonstrate that the man could deliver an authenticity when required, especially if the ammunition given was a frailty previously non-existent with Captain James T Kirk. And that's before you even mention that scene, and how well Shatner underplayed Kirks' loss; his broken little "no" such a great counterpoint to his more theatrical and memetic scream of "Khannn!".

Wrath of Khan will always remain the highpoint by approximate consensus with that original Star Trek crew, and something of a "true" starting point for the rest of the run, but watching it so soon after The Motion Picture I really saw the difference in execution and relative productions here. Mostly notably: even if the '79 film suffered from pacing best described as somnambulant, and some ludicrous aesthetic choices, it still put what was a bloated budget on-screen; no expense was spared but an underwhelming box office meant any sequel was gonna get squeezed. So as timeless as the actual meat of Wrath... might still prove to be on yet another rewatch, the still-fresh memory of TMP's splendour only served to spotlight this sequel's ramshackle sets, reused FX from the prior film and an overall, inescapable sense of scruffiness with everything. The Enterprise's bridge sometimes felt distractingly flimsy and thrown together; those more naval inspired uniforms looked great though and it's easy to see how that became such an icon to the franchise. Even as recently as the latest TV show, Strange New Worlds, we would see that uniform get use; to an extent, it's the Star Trek uniform.

All that said, here was where the 1979 film's seeds started to bare fruit, and perhaps why this film's themes have become more resonant as I trickled towards my mid-40s: here was a script front-loaded with middle-aged angst and confronting the consequences of ones choices from youth; oh sure, the actual thrills of the two warring ships were as fabulously tense and thrilling as ever - and I'd love to see this film get the same remaster The Motion Picture received and its reworked FX - but everything played out against a melodramatic backdrop of age, growth and change.

The larger subtextual meat was obviously the arrival of a former love and the son Kirk walked away from, dismissed from his mind as some faux rational choice, but it was also in iconography like Kirk's sudden need for glasses or his ship crewed with raw recruits, their faces barely past their teens. Children would die while Kirk grappled with the notion that his bravado might no longer suffice; and by no accounts was any of this ever rubbed in the audience's faces, but I admired the script's thematic foundation to let it all just simmer.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

While Wrath of Khan has seen countless rewatches to the extent I might be able to recite the vast majority of it, alongside The Final Frontier the immediate follow-up has seen the least rewatches (to the extent we might be talking going back to my teenage years watching for-TV edits on ye olde Broadcast TV). So while my immediate reaction would be to still classify this film as one of the "bad ones" - even going so far as to call it the most creatively bankrupt of the series (given the intent of the thing) - by the film's end I possessed more good will towards it than I was anticipating; indeed I could see and respect choices that while never quite saved the overall experience, left enough to think about. I couldn't call this a complete failure when it tried to thread a tricky needle between the devastation of the prior film's climax and the simple thrills of a space opera.

The first couple of acts were the real headline surprise, again something I felt noticed by an older and more naturally retrospective head: there was a palpable sense of deadened shock permeating the first half of the film: the death of Spock was allowed to fester like an untreated wound and it was to the credit of both the script and Leonard Nimoy's surprisingly nimble (if very televisual) direction that the overriding tone of the first half of this film was formed from a burdensome sense of grief; both for the death of a friend that bordered on soulmate - but also the voyages of the Enterprise as a whole. Rather than a new film with the ship ready for adventure, the icon limped back to port, battered and without its compliment, Starfleet greeting them with the news there'd be no more Enterprises. So when Kirk & co. stole the ship in a pretty breezy and engaging little heist sequence, it felt like a last hurrah. 

So even if the set-up and opening acts caught me off guard and provided more depth than I was expecting, the rest of the film kinda lived up to the resting memory at the back of my brain: Christopher Lloyd did his level best but always felt like he was playing a very token and disposable villain; and broadly speaking there was little escape from the sense that as much gravitas Nimoy brought behind the lens, the plot itself was the worst kind of Sci-Fi nonsense, born from commercial necessity to resurrect the dead, mixed with a choice to craft the Vulcans ostensible wizards & mystics. I'd never call Star Trek a "hard Sci-Fi" series but it always managed to skirt around outright fantasy - not so much here.

Equally, the way the finale just hand-waved away the dual devastation of Kirk's son dying and blowing up his ship, just to get the gang back together, was pretty glib & craven. It didn't have to end with Kirk bawling his eyes out in a corner of the room, but nor was a Group Hug the right way to reward the journey either. Kirk's remark that if he didn't rescue Spock it might have cost him his soul? It rang so trite against the cost paid, the attempt to reconnect with his son now lost forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hundreds of Beavers

Maybe, just maybe, the most inventive cinematic comedy of the decade?

Part silent / slapstick comedy homage, part live action cartoon, part cinematic Metroidvania (seriously), Mike Cheslik's gonzo low-budget wonder is a welcome mix of the familiar and the fresh. The plot is simple: an applejack maker winds up stranded in the forest, and begins hunting beavers (who seem to be building some sort of fortress on top of their dam) in a bid to win the heart of the local merchant's daughter. This is merely a launching pad for all manner of zany setpieces, comic escalations and random displays of cartoon logic. While indulging in the classic visuals of silent cinema and some pleasingly lo-fi design work (all the beaver costumes were reportedly imported from a cheap Chinese retail site), what really makes this stand out is the ingenuity of the effects work. There's an endearing artificiality at play here, where all manner of elements are layered on top of each other in creative, amusing ways.

If there's a problem with the film, it's that it's so dense with ideas and stuff that it can become somewhat exhausting to take it all in on one sitting. Thankfully, it leaves the best 'til last, with an extended sneaking and escape sequence that sees everything come together with giddy disregard of physics.

The film is getting an allegedly "one-night only" cinema showcase on July 9th, but hopefully demand will be enough that it is extended beyond that. But it's already established a warm cult following after its cinema and VOD run in the States - long may people continue to discover these mischievous beavers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I disagree about the finale. I think Star Trek III, rough as it is in places, is an excellent example of how to bring a beloved character back to life without totally squandering all the meaning behind their death. The way to do it as the film shows is through great sacrifice. Kirk loses his ship, his son and his career in the the attempt to bring Spock back. The finale actually avoids a far bigger hand wave by ensuring Spock's resurrection has a real, lasting cost. While it ends on a happy note there is a lot of uncertainty about the future. Spock is far from himself, the Enterprise is gone and Kirk's career is in tatters. Kirk gets his ship and career back eventually but it takes a whole other film. I think it's quite a brave ending.

• Advertisement

While it ends on a happy note there is a lot of uncertainty about the future. Spock is far from himself, the Enterprise is gone and Kirk's career is in tatters. Kirk gets his ship and career back eventually but it takes a whole other film. I think it's quite a brave ending.

I see what you're saying and can see that point of view: the finale does make sure that Spock's return came at a price no question, I just think they vastly undersold David's death - bar Shatner's immediate reaction when the son gets stabbed and further proof the actor got a bad rap for hamminess; but something about Kirk's remark to Savak about the cost to his soul rang hollow, like the script both wanted to acknowledge that ost, but also the necessity of the movie in the first place in getting Spock back. I think I'd have liked to see a few more beats really underlining that cost and the loss, instead of ending on the happy note of reunion; something a bit more vague and unsure.

When all's said and done, Kirk's adult son died before he ever properly reconciled with him and I kinda felt a tonal conflict between a script really reaching for something more raw and profound in its characters … and the requirement for Fun Space Adventures. Heck IIRC David wasn't even referenced again 'til VI & Kirk's sudden ennui over making peace with the Klingons, an angst that informed that film's story.

Unforgiven

The best Western of all time? In my book at least. Feels incredibly authentic.

Stands apart for me in that although plenty violent it has an anti violence messaging. A Deeper appeal to an ethics than you'll find in most Western tales.

Gene Hackman , Richard Harris are standout, Clint and Morgan too as its before they became a worn trope.

Great stuff.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

Yes, I'm still doing these; though may take a break 'cos The Final Frontier is next, and hoooooo boy it's a stinker.

So there's me prattling on, admiring all this emotional maturity stitched through the first three Trek movies, of one's growing obsolescence and how maybe there's a sunset to boyish galavanting about ... then the fourth Star Trek movie was this supremely silly time-travel comedy about rescuing whales from the 20th century to save the future. "Double dumb áss" on me for forgetting just how far this leaned into a breezy, frivolous and no-strings adventuresome tone: and sure, anyone who held the Original Series to heart will have absolutely seen the genetic lineage in what remains Trek's most silly film (and intentionally silly 'cos Final Frontier still sits in the corner, waiting on me) ... but there was still a bit of tonal whiplash all the same in jumping from what had been a predominance towards interludes of introspection and emotionality to ... well, this. The one where Spock mind-melds with some whales & Chekov(!) asks a cop about where he'd find the Nooklear Wessels. The scenes with McCoy in the hospital my own standout, his irritated compassion a joy.

And maybe that was the point: after three films where despite their own various thrilling moments and set pieces, perhaps it was rationalised that there had been enough introspection and it was time for Voyage Home's grinning, goofy charm and absolute commitment to telling the daftest story in as engaging a fashion as possible. This should have been a disaster as the disparate parts didn't make sense, yet all those ingredients merged perfectly to yield Trek's most overtly fun outing. I couldn't conceive of any equivalently popular franchise in Hollywood swerving its tone this deliberately & to this extent - while also succeeding. Maybe, at a pinch, you could argue the MCU's dalliances into outright comedy - but as we've seen with Thor: Love & Thunder, the end-results have not always excelled in the balancing act. Voyage Home was an example of the perfectly baked dessert: sweet, delicious and without substance sure - but every morsel went down great.

I did have to take a moment though to reflect on what was an early-doors swing at environmentalism in popular media: it had that starry-eyed naivety of those Captain Planet adjacent days; that approach that appealed to our better nature to arrest quite obviously appalling behaviour towards our own home (and its co-tenants); yet I don't think our pop-culture has it in itself to render something this optimistic and confident of our better natures anymore. Attitudes have hardened since then, power and populism mutated to dogmatic antagonism to the extent it'd deny reality while the flames lick their heels. We can barely save ourselves at this point, let alone the whales.

Hello…computer…

I used to hate that movie as a kid. I was like, why did they make a comedy? But these days, I like to throw it on. The lads are having so much fun in it, it's hard not to enjoy.

As for 'The Final Frontier', I've only ever seen it once and I thought it was fine. That film gets a lot of flak though, when there's, much, much, worse out there.

I saw the TV Glow (2024)

This was a film whose inclusive intent could only go so far before it collided into my issues with its basic execution. Ultimately its tonal choice will come down to the personal taste of the viewer, but it didn't gel with me at all: going into this I was aware both of the creator's background & the broad discourse it had generated about the nature of its subtextual story but this was allergy turned up to 11; everything dominated by such monolithic symbolism and intent to create a detached sense of itself it lost all basic coherence - skirting into the realm of being nothing but a gussied up Student Film. That is, abstraction for its own sake and not half as clever as it thought it was (the "Pink Opaque" ... really?), surrounded by this ... utterly indistinct voice that even seeped into how all the actors delivered their lines; all with this borderline monotone diction, punctuated by pregnant pauses so elongated they could be carrying triplets. Pacing elasticated by needlessly prolonged shots featuring nothing of consequence.

This seemed like a movie with a dogged intent to generate "vibes", a concept increasingly suggesting no meaning except a way for vacant scripts to lean on presentation, contemplative aesthetics and mood in lieu of any kind of emotionality or structure. I didn't want melodrama and plates thrown across the kitchen - but it needed some emotional tactility here. Especially given the subject matter - going double while trans people become increasingly targeted for no sane reason except institutionalised malevolence. It was nearly saved by a last 20 minutes that almost jolted itself alive by way of some Cronenbergian oddity, but as patient as I can be I can't in good conscience manufacture interest in a (near adult) character vacantly waxing sorrow about their 10:30pm bedtime like it was this colossal existential conundrum. If even the film can't make it seem like an important pivot, then why should I care?

I applaud the voice here - just not the song.

Funny I used to love it; my introduction to Trek was Voyage Home and occasional re-runs of the Original Series, so for me the pulse of Trek was broadly silly nonsense, so when they started showing TNG and DS9 I was turned off by both shows' more serious and less playful tone. Whereas now I'll stick my feet in the ground to insist DS9 wasn't just the best Trek show - but also one of the best Sci-Fi TV shows in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭steve_r

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

The opening of this film shows a dead body in a swimming pool, and the closing scene of the film has one of the most iconic lines of all time ("All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.").

The story between those two points is of a struggling writer (William Holden) who becomes entangled in the live of a former star (Gloria Swanson) of the silent movie era, who has also become cast aside by Hollywood.

I've seen this movie described as a noir, which on a certain level I can understand, but I don't think its a label that entirely fits this film - it perhaps more applies to how the film was shot, rather than the characters/plot.

The characters here are complex, sympathetic in some ways, tragic in others, and don't fall neatly within the archetypes that generally exist in the traditional noir films.

A few days on from watching it, I'm still struck by how impactful some of the scenes are, both in terms of character performance and the writing itself. There are two scenes Holden has with two of the supporting characters that really bring home how both characters have ended up where they are.

It's a film with a lot of humor, but also a lot of pathos in the lines as well ("I am big, it's the pictures that got small!").

Overall it's an excellent film that is well worth your time.

Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

An entertainingly throwaway 50s thriller elevated by threading the mania of Captain Ahab's iconic, quixotic quest for revenge into a clash of submarine captains' priorities: a friction that wasn't entirely dissimilar to what we would see decades later with Tony Scott's Crimson Tide; and while the younger film wrote its conflict from the precipice of nuclear armageddon, here the stakes were considerably lower and confined to one man's wounded pride potentially leading his new crew to calamity.

Good performances for the most part, although Gable and Lancaster had that slight aroma of wood that I find with many of those older Hollywood stars; they were often magnetic and commanding sure, but a constant stoicism that meant they projected a little emotional stuntedness when something a little less than rigged determination was asked of them; two similarly straight-backed planks didn't quite rattle my cage as much as the more obvious personality differences between Gene Hackman and Denzil Washington's own performances as stressed-out naval officers working on the ragged edge.

Good attention to detail here as well: there was a lack of sentiment or artificiality in the presentation of the submarine's inner workings and normal operation; this was a claustrophobic, sweaty and stressful work environment and Robert Wise made good use of what seemed like "real" inner locations, all shot with a pragmatic and unsentimental or melodramatic eye.

Advertisement