Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The run from sandymount over the east link can take an awfully long time depending on the traffic. Not uncommon to sit in that for 40+ mins.

It'll vary though, could take it 20 mins today and an hour tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Not really sure how attractive the new 702 routing is to anyone living south of Dalkey the routing is too long. Same with the new 700 routing south of Sandyford. It sort of strikes me that they're waiting for these new routings to fail so they can be cancelled in time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Considering this the new 700/701/702 network is going to account for half of their operations, then they really need it to be a success. But I agree the routes are rather long now and I can't think of any other airport routes with that many stops. I guess they are trying to ensure they get adequate loadings and customer demand, but might be overplaying it somewhat.

It's worth noting that the two people right at the top of Aircoach these days have no land based public transport experience before taking the job. Their background historically has been in the Ferry industry.

What I mean is if they fail I could see them focusing on the inner elements of the routings particularly the 701 in order to compete with DX. It will be interesting to see how they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Am I missing something? Why would you bother with the Aircoach unless you have large suitcases, for which you would get a taxi or lift.

07:24 Dart to Tara St 08:18

Stroll over to Abbey St

08:30 41 bus to Airport 09:14

Journey time 1:50, all along the south side route could hop on the same Dart. Fare from Greystones to the airport is €3.00 adult leap and cheaper as a young adult and if you have a kid.

Adult single on Aircoach is €17.00!!

Obviously very early departures and late arrivals won’t work on the DART / 41, but the rest of the 18 hours of the day will.

Those running times, while possibly realistic, would never encourage me on to them.

Or drive to Whitehall / Santry and bus to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Or theres a Maynooth train that leaves Pearse 5 minutes after that DART. Should leave you in Drumcondra in less than 15 minutes where you can catch a 16 or 41 to the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

And once the E-spine goes 24 hours, that will really hurt the 702 between Bray and Loughlinstown (and DL area), since it will be part of the 2.00 90 minutes fare with a free 41 connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agreed. Even though there will be more services, the 700 routing via the Clayton will extend journey times for people living south of Sandyford. During the day, someone going to the airport from south of Stillorgan would be tempted to get a 46A/145/155 to Oatlands College or UCD and pick up the (potentially earlier) Aircoach there. And on the return leg, you might consider getting off the 700 at the Radisson on the N11 and picking up one of those DB services to get home quicker.

The 701 could have potentially continued to Leopardstown, going along the current 702 routing from Vincent's to Stillorgan then taking over from the 700 there. That would allow the 700 to stay on the N11 all the way from town to Cherrywood. That would probably require more buses (and drivers) though.

Or just getting the 46a/145/155 all the way to town and getting the 41 from there. Can't be all that between that and the Aircoach.

Big disimprovement from pre covid when the 702/703 were both hourly and ran 24hr.

• Advertisement

Aircoach cancelled a number of services yesterday and today so far, with a colleague of mine giving up after waiting 50 minutes in PM peak yesterday. Whilst some of the services have been announced as being cancelled not all of them have been made public.

It makes you wonder how they are going to cope with the new timetables coming at the end of the month if they're cancelling services now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LF403

According to the Irish Independent: "The cost will also increase from €22 return from Greystones to the
    airport to €25.50. From Bray and Shankill the return price will increase
    from €20 to €21.60."

While this may be the case, it also stops arguments between pax and drivers - Where a customer has a timetable stating 1hr 40mins runtime, but the driver knows it'll take 2 hours. At least with a more accurate timetable and realistic dwell times, it gives people a more realistic expectation.

Aircoach are now on a massive drive to hire coach drivers due to these expansions. Even at current service levels some 700 services are being dropped every day with hire-ins becoming a fairly common sight on Cork these days due to lack of drivers.

Those appear to be online prices, do we know what the on bus prices are? Because Aircoach have removed the fares section from the website so the cynic in me suggests they've seen a bigger hike.

Agree that the current timetable is work of fiction, but this is what the general public are like, you have a short journey time and a service that is always late and people will complain. You extend the journey time to make the schedule more realistic and the same people will moan the service takes too long.

Gotta laugh haven't you, 7 days before the expansion and they don't have enough drivers to run the current services let alone an expansion. Can see it going badly wrong during peak times, especially from the start of July.

Only issue with the 702 timetable is they'll really need to adjust between run times in the summer when there's no schools and then term time. Some services being given 1hr 10 mins Greystones to bray. Definitely too much dwell time there during the summer months for sure, which will probably put passengers off.

Plenty of aircoach buses with driver training on them going around the 702 route the last few days.

Let's see how it all goes come Sunday

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that….

Delay in Aircoach Service changes and cancellations due to IT Issues

Aircoach have emailed customers that have booked services that are being introduced on the new schedule this Sunday to say that these services have been cancelled due to IT Issues.

The email contains a link to the following page on the Aircoach website which contains advice and links to temporary timetables that are due to run on these routes in the meantime.

https://www.aircoach.ie/temporary-timetables

As per our email, due to IT issues around the launch of our new Dublin and Greystones routes, the service you booked has been cancelled. Please use the links below to access temporary timetable information to facilitate your travel to and from Dublin airport.  Please be aware that the name of your route may be different to the route you booked.

These timetables are for information purposes.  You will NOT need a new ticket for travel, simply present your original booking to the driver when boarding.

If the alternative travel times below do not suit, contact us via our web contact us page and we will process a refund of your booking. You can also contact us by email at info@aircoach.ie.

We understand the inconvenience this may cause, and we sincerely apologise for it.

Dublin Airport to Dublin City Centre & Leopardstown - 700
    700 - Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday (PDF)

700 - Monday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (PDF)

Dublin Airport to Greystones - 702
    702 - All week (PDF)

Dublin Airport to Killiney - 703
    703 - All week (PDF)

The temporary timetables that they have posted are simply the old ones which have been extended for a week. I'm not sure why they simply didn't say that to be honest.

Suspension of Online Bookings for all Non Intercity services from 30th June to 6th July.

As what appears to be a knock on effect to what has been posted above, Aircoach have suspended ALL online bookings for route 700/702/703 for 30th June to 6th July. The only services that can be booked online during this period of operation are the 704X and 705X.

If you are due to travel between those dates and are cutting it fine for time, I would strongly advise you to allow more time for your journey in case you are unable to board the coach (especially the further into the route to the airport your stop is) or avail of a guaranteed seat with another provider for peace of mind.

Post edited by devnull on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CitaC

Why, oh why, are Aircoach so totally cavalier about their loyal customers? I’m deeply shocked. And there is no working phone number to clarify what is actually going on.

I am booked to travel Monday with 2 children. I have been informed by email my booking is no longer valid they are literally cancelling all passenger bookings it seems. Then a second email to say ignore that. However, a glance at the website says it’s only a walk up service, no ability to book ahead for a 7-10 period while they ‘sort’ themselves out.

I need to walk up to a bus, with a temporary schedule - so actually who knows when a bus might turn up- if I’m lucky I can buy (a more expensive) ticket there on the bus. So if the bus is full say goodbye to catching your flight, Aircoach just is not bothered.

We are not going to dinner in town, or going to a gig. Yeap you’d be annoyed you missed those, or were 2 hours late. But missing a long haul flights could literally mean €5-10,000 out in last min flights and a shortened holiday.

Aircoach have you any regard for your loyal customers? Because it really looks like you hold us all in contempt.

Assume that means that the walk-up fare is the adult one only (aka no Young Adult fare will be available)? May need to go via town instead for my 10am flight on Thursday 😬

Young Adult Fares Aircoach only sell on their website and since they are not allowing web bookings at the moment for the dates concerned it seems everyone who is not qualifying for a child fare, staff fare or a free travel pass fare is going to have to pay the walk-up rate.

I'd love to tell you what the walk-up rates are, but a few days before making their latest announcements, Aircoach removed the fares page from their website, which at the time was very disappointing. However the fact hat a few days later they are now requiring everyone to pay the higher on-board price (that you can't see anymore) on their non-intercity network for a week doesn't have great optics even though it may well be a total co-incidence.

We've seen Aircoach make their customer care team redundant, closed phone lines at weekend, outsource it to a team in the UK who simply lack the local knowledge that the NI team did. They also feel it's acceptable to reply to emails in 7-14 days and hide their fares information from view. They then say they have internal problems, but because of their problems, cancel pre-booked journeys and to top it all off then make a loyal, long standing customer like yourself who has done nothing wrong, pay a higher walk-up price because of said issues. Why should you have to pay a higher fare because of it? You shouldn't. End of.

Does this sound like a company that cares about it's customers to you? Because to me it doesn't. My advice to you if you are on the 702/703 route is to get a DART if it's feasible and take another service from the city centre such as Dublin Bus 16/41 (you'll save a fair bit if you use LEAP) or Dublin Express. Aircoach don't deserve your money. Give it to someone who does. As a customer of Aircoach since 2005, that pains me to say it, but it's just my opinion at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Chuckleberry

I have no sympathy for them. A friend of mine was let go by the Belfast arm..SIPTU are standing up for their members like any union should.

My plea is to travelling public, please do not take this out on the drivers, they are not the ones who are making decisions, when the time comes, please back them, they do not like this any more than you do.

they are now deleting any negative comments made on their social media.

I'm assuming that's taking place on X/Twitter?

SIPTU are doing all they can, and I commend them for it - They're between a rock and a hard place on this one though, as the company are looking to also introduce some extra benefits (they need a hell of a lot more drivers to cope with the expansion). It could possibly undermine the roster issues, or downplay the downsides if the matter ends up in the Labour Court.

No it was on FB, there were a number of comments about not being informed about service changes and waiting for services that didnt arrive, there was also one from an irritate ex staff member also who named N and K.

I didn't have a look at twitter until now, but just searched it and boy oh boy their new cs team in leeds are totally out their depth.

As expected really, the team in Leeds probably weren't even informed of the ongoing dispute. I must take a mosey on over there.

I'm not surprised at the ex staff member being irate. Current staff members are disgusted at the treatment of the (now) ex-belfast team, and the recent announcement of yet another redundancy of an incredibly important staff member.
    Most of these orders come from N, with drivers, engineering and middle management detesting said person, and their approach.

K has been fairly quiet, except for the debacle that was Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm seeing there that half of the real time info for the revised 702 southbound route to Greystones is missing on the TFI journey planner. The real time info for the 702 only appears when it goes from Greystones to Dublin Airport's T1 which is a bit strange. Is the I.T. fault at Aircoach mostly to blame for that information being missing for the route to Greystones?

You need to do some reading of the last page or two on this thread to find out why.

There is no new network today. Temporary timetables are in place from today up to and including the 6th July. The temporary timetables just happen to be the continuation of the timetables that were in place up until yesterday for a further week.

But to sum it all up in brief, the 700/1/2/3 network improvements that were supposed to come in today haven't, the timetables section is wrong, the tracking doesn't work, there's nobody to call for help, Twitter support lacks local knowledge, answering emails in 7-14 days is acceptable, you can't reserve a seat online and then when you get on the coach you have to pay a higher walk up fare which you have no idea of in advance as Aircoach have removed the page with such info from their site.

Advertisement