Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Brilliant point. We should be knee deep in intercounty midfielders on the basis of CK's arguement. We have "too many clubs" where the best players end up in midfield.

That being the case, where are they???

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Don't think anyone has claimed that is all a club is about. We were talking about player development and the club has a huge critical role in that. I think it is shocking that so many clubs around the county have not had a player on the county panel for ages and some even have none when you look down the County underage teams. That is a fairly simple and crude metric to measure who well they are attracting kids into their club and how well they develop them when they are in there. If a club hasn't a player on underage panels or the county panel for a decade surely you should be looking at what the hell is going on in your club? Then look at small club like Gowna and see what they have achieved from a small pick. Crosserlough have been producing excellent players - whether they are considered a big club or not. Clubs have to be honest and look at what they are doing or not doing, maybe swallow their pride and go and look at what Gowna and the Lough are doing and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Re Gowna, not every club can have the “county development manager” ensuring two or three lads from the club make the development panels each year.

Well one of them has to play in the forward line because no other club can develop forwards it seems!!

Take for example Blackwater Gaels. How far is the drive from Munterconnaught to Maghera pitch? 5 mins?

We aren’t all commuting by horse and kart now.

Do you think a child cares at 4 years of age if they are going to training for Maghera, Munterconnaught or Blackwater? Any of those can be the “local club”.

Alot of the points ye are all making are simply not relevant. Just because a club amalgamates, doesn’t mean GAA is just going to be lost in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Gowna do produce good players . It helps when McCabe is the development manager and gets a lot of players from Gowna involved with the Development Squads. A lot of the Gowna players would have had fathers or uncles who were on the successful Gowna teams in the early 2000s. Its bread into them. Crosserlough is a big area, biggest parish in Cavan, and they should by right be producing good players. There was a good while where they were not at the races and were in Intermediate for a while, but have got the underage structure right over the last 10 years.

I am no fan of McCabe but are you seriously telling me that clubs like Belturbet and Killeshandra for example are producing skilled footballers on both sides and that these are being ignored at development squad levels in favour of players from Gowna. Is that why both those clubs are at very low points currently (I am sure other clubs could be added). I am sorry but that sounds like sour grapes to me, blame McCabe for our club not doing enough good coaching.

Well, there is at least one poster who continually states that clubs should wind up "for the good of Cavan football". It is possible to have views on coaching and player development AND the role of a club in terms of community and history. In fact, you can easily make an arguement that the sound basis of maintaining as strong a club as possible will be about attracting and sustaining involvement of players from an early age. And as you already pointed out, for some people that will be at whatever level they end up. And for some, it will be volunteering in different ways after they stop playing.

It might not have an impact for the lads who will be picked up by other clubs.

Let's take Maghera for example, so say they do wind up. How many of the people involved for social aspect are going to line out for another team. Probably very few. So would likely reduce the number of people playing. You might counter "what loss, none of them are lining out for the county".

Great- so when you have your arguement pulled apart you change your tune.

And if all our best are playing in midfield, where are our midfielders at intercounty level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

He is giving out about amalgamations at underage and on the next breath is looking for them at Senior level.

You’re drawing an awful lot of conjecture there from me saying three lines re it helping Gowna that McCabe is county development manager.

Ask someone from Belturbet or Killeshandra about them and their coaching.

Their players would have played underage with Mountnugent & Munterconnaught lads anyway. Munterconnaught have a reserve team too. Is it not Maghera’s own players who called a meeting after, what, one win in ten years? Do you think lads involved are enjoying hammerings week after week? They obviously aren’t but sure let’s all continue to stick our heads in the sand and follow parish guidelines that were drawn up 100 or more years ago.

Sure Maghera can remain a club with no functioning adult team and the young players from there can continue to ignore the other clubs on their doorstep? Oh, the only problem is the big elephant in the room - they are already haemorrhaging players to the surrounding clubs like Ramor & Cuchulainns because people are already taking the decision into their own hands.

Maghera will decide there own future it doesn't look good for them though at least one of this years team has gone to Cuchulainns and probably gone for good.

It's not as simple as rocking up to a neighbouring club a good lad may be welcomed but average or below won't be seen as much benefit to a club.

I don't think you actually understand what role the local club play in the community and the amount of people it gives a identity and purpose to. Most Junior clubs are happy to be competive, it's not all about winning and getting lads on a county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Crosserlough could be disbanded and divided up with portions of the parish assigned to neighbouring clubs to help boost numbers. Parish lines were drawn so long ago after all. The county board just need to organise a meeting with Crosserlough to inform them of the decision and discuss what way to best divide up the parish to give equal numbers to surrounding clubs.

Think of the benefits, surrounding clubs get an influx of good coaches and players with county underage and senior experience. It could be the catalyst for several clubs becoming championship contenders.

I can't think of any drawbacks or possible roadblocks?

I must have missed where Crosserlough needed to amalgamate at any level to have adequate playing numbers.

You’re above example is where you’re taking a point I made about clubs that need to amalgamate at underage levels and trying to apply it to a club who have two teams at some age grades.

Plenty of lads lining up here to have a shot but very few actually providing alternatives.

So come on then lads, what’s the answer for changing demographics? Do ye all expect Corlough to continue to run a football club off one primary school of 30-40 kids?

I didn’t say it was all about winning and getting lads on a county team. It is about functioning though and some clubs are struggling to do that.

“Most junior clubs are happy to be competitive” - there are junior clubs who are struggling to even reach that minimum benchmark and things are only going to get worse for them based on demographics.

As for the average lad being turned away, I’ve never seen a club turn away a player. Most teams now have reserve teams and welcome new members as it’s not just on the pitch that they can be a help.

I think ye all under estimate that GAA people are GAA people. I’ve seen staunch club men relocate through marriage etc and firmly pin their collar to a new club due to kids playing with them etc. How many staunch Gaels men now have children playing with Killygarry or the Bridge now for example? Years ago they would have stick their noses up at the thoughts of their kids playing with those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

We have too many clubs, you said it yourself. So it's time to look at ways to reduce the amount of clubs.

The parish lines were drawn a hundred years ago and it's clear now we have one oversized parish with a team loaded with county players, it's too concentrated. Needs to be spread out for the good of Cavan football. Just a matter of the county board making the decision and telling them it's time to wrap it up for the betterment of football in the county. I don't see the issue?

What junior clubs are struggling apart from Corlough and Maghera?

Swad must have turned McKiernan away this year as they didnt accept the transfer.

How many lads move to a different part of the County and still play with there home club, very few and it's more lads who are coming near the ends off there playing days than anyone in there 20's.

I wouldn't know how many Gaels lads have kids with other clubs.

As I said before Clubs will decide what to do when numbers are against them and not before.

I'd love to see you land into a county board meeting and make that statement about to many clubs and we need to reduce the amount off them

No I just don't believe that Gowna are at an advantage because of Dermot McCabe - unless someone can provide some evidence to the contrary . I also believe clubs like the two above are not doing enough clearly to develop players as the data shows are very poor output of elite players. I also congratulate Crosserlough as well as Gowna for doing a good job. The best club in Sligo where I now reside is Tourlestrane, a very small place. Size isn't everything.

• Advertisement

Did Peter Quinn not do just that several years back in his report?

Not every club can have elite players and coaches can only work with what they have.

Do you think there are elite players on the Cavan team? How many off the Cavan squad from the last 3 games would get on a Dublin or Kerry team?

Any chance you could address any of the points I’ve raised rather than just totally attempting to twist the point in hand? You’re not adding anything at all to the discussion.

What’s your own solution to address changing demographics? What should clubs struggling to field numbers do?

Peter Quinn and a committee did a comprehensive report stating we had too many clubs. What parts of his study did you disagree with?

I openly said at the start of this I didn’t claim to have all the solutions but I’ve no problem putting my head on the chopping block - just a pity others haven’t the liathroidi to do the same.

It’s like a subordinate staff member in a workplace being negative. Don’t come with nothing but problems, try providing a few solutions.

Every player on the cavan panel is an elite player in my definition. I totally disagree with your 2nd comment, the kids in Gowna aren't drinking different juices than in Cootehill. Elite players are made through coaching with a drop of natural strength and athleticism. Killeshandra not having a starting county man since 1997 is completely of their own doing, not meant to be insulting to them but they need to stop this waiting for some natural phenomenon to come along that they don't need to do anything with.

How many clubs packed it in after that.

What other Junior clubs are struggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Donegal has 39 Clubs with a population of over 160k. There is lots of soccer Clubs in Donegal, but Cavan shouldn't have more Clubs then a County that size. https://donegalnews.com/donegal-gaa-club-rankings/

You seemed to think it’d be quite outlandish to recommend to the county board to cut clubs but Peter Quinn did just that in a paid report. You said you’d love to see someone arrive into a county board and say it but Peter Quinn actually put it in a report they paid him for. So is Peter Quinn, former president of the GAA, another man like me who doesn’t understand the importance of the local club in the community?

Struggling for numbers - any that need to regularly amalgamate at underage level - Redhills, Drung, Kill, Maghera, Munterconnaught, Corlough, Killeshandra Shannon Gaels, Swad & Kildallan are ones I can quickly think of.

To compete - Maghera & Corlough for a start. Killeshandra & Kildallan also both struggling, Killeshandra now another club amalgamating a lot. I’d also expect Redhills and others will join this group in the next few years.

Again, did you want to offer any alternatives or solutions or just pick holes and offer nothing new to what is becoming an obvious problem?

They are a different breed in Gowna majority of the current players are offspring off one off the best club teams ever in Cavan. The tradition and football is in them.

If lads don't have the footballing ability any amount off coaching won't change that you can bring them so far but they will never be elite.

You mentioned Cootehill one off the biggest populations in the County and can't field a reserve team while two smaller clubs out the road are fielding reserve teams without the need to use 1st team players.

I'd be near sure Killeshandra have had players on County team since 97.

There is no need for me to post an alternative I'm not looking for clubs to pull the shutters down.

I have no problem with clubs joining at underage. Clubs like Lacken, Ballinagh, Shercock. Gowna, Drumalee, Denn do it regular enough. Would you treat them the same or is it only Junior clubs you have it in for?

Peter Quinn was a paid to do it my point is if the likes of you or any other club delegate* starting saying it you wouldn't be going far before you would be challenged.

• Advertisement

So the heads remain in the sand we wait for them to slowly wither away like Maghera & Corlough are doing?

I’m very glad you aren’t running the GAA and that they are actually looking at demographics and starting to make plans for the future as society develops.

The clubs you’ve listed might do it at one age level or the odd time but they aren’t doing it consistently. St Finbarrs, Blackwater & Dernacrieve are now consistent amalgamations at all levels from when competitive football starts.

Advertisement