Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The bottles and cans that give refunds have barcodes on them, the machine can't tell what you're putting in without the barcode

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It probably doesn't matter much now that all stock sold must be DRS compatible and have the logo and barcode.

We have had many complaints here about RVM's filling up too often.

I suppose if they allowed the machines to be used as a disposal point for non scope items that would have made the problem worse.

The stated goal of Re-turn is to get our recycling rate up to 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some little 80110× on the old thread said the RVM's accept crushed cans and bottles as long as the barcode is visible. I can tell you now, they don't. I was trying to save on space so I crushed the items, leaving the barcode visible.

I got 1 15c receipt out of about 24 items. Sometimes the machine took the item in, but it didn't give credit for it. But more often than not, the machine had a fit, as the can kept going in and out, and then you're trying to grab it before it went back in again. The 1 receipt I got was where I had to try and reform the can. I ended up dumping the lot in the bin beside the machine. Lesson learned, but it's made me hate the scheme even more, if that's even possible.

Me crushing the cans and bottles with my foot should be helping save the planet, as it takes less electricity for the RVM to do so. Crushed or not, it's the same item.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The stated goal of Re-turn is to get our recycling rate up to 90%

No it isn't, even though they have been telling that lie from the start, so I will forgive you for spreading it, you seem to believe everything they tell you.

The collection rate target is 90%. Completely different.

We have no idea what the current collection rate is, which is handy if you are running a massive scam. Isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Have people changed their buying habits because of the scheme? Probably the best result for the environment would be to stop buying plastic bottles and maybe cans.

Guy ahead of me in the supermarket the other day (Lidl) had 4x12 trays of water, what's that, €12 in deposit? Seems mad as the water in our area is pretty good, why not get a reusable bottle and fill it out of the tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bought some mini bottles of red wine in M&S, in plastic bottles, hit with 15c deposit on each… unexpected! But swings and roundabouts as I have an empty bottle bought pre-DRS that I can now get 15c back on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What I said was "stated goal" which is true and not a lie.

A key aim is a plastic recycling plant built in Limerick which will recycle what they collect.

All the aluminium they collect will be recycled because as we all know separated aluminium has a commercial value already for recyclers.

If we reach verified figures of 90% collection the current rate will be irrelevant.

It would be interesting to get figures on that.

I tended more to buying beer in glass bottles during the transition period.

The man buying all that water maybe doing it for a sports event or something of that nature.

You are right about the reusable bottle filled from the tap.

If your local water is palatable it's a small change that's easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yep, I kicked my Pepsi Max habit, and my wife gave up buying sparkling water. Easily a dozen fewer 2ltr bottles a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Tesco today.

"No time for waste." Except they don't mind wasting your time. Before I left, I seen a man walking in with 2 bags full of empties. His look of disgust was priceless.

Lidl today.

At least one of them was working.

Aldi today.

I haven't seen an Aldi with 2 RVM's, I've found them so often to be broken, this time it was full, maybe if there was 2 it would spread the load and have a back-up for when they inevitably break. And they're the same size as Lidl.

And the gombeen in chief from Return was spewing patronising BS to the press about avoiding weekends! Blaming the victim easier than doing a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

It's not just the practice of buying plastic bottles and cans that could change but manufacturers providing alternatives instead.

Some drinks can only be bought in plastic bottles or cans.

If this was really for the good of the environment then manufacturers would be forced to provide alternatives that are environment friendly.

Straws are a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

While some people changed habits, I bet the reduction in plastic use is miniscule.

This is because a deposit based scheme is designed for perpetual plastic use, it greenwashes everyone into thinking single use plastic is circular, recycled, sustainable, when it's not.

Compare DRS to the impact a straight forward non refundable consumer levy might have. Let's say it was to start small (5c or 10c and item) but be announced in advance it would grow to say €1 per bottle within say 8 years. Now that is an incentive and a timeline for producers to find an alternative to plastic.

Before you say a levy only shafts the customer, remember that practically anything sold in plastic can be sold in can, bottle, bulk or draught: there are alternatives and these would not be levied. Bottles and cans were already well recycled too. So there is strong consumer demand as well as a producer route.

As well as solving the problem of plastic for good - something we will have to address anyway, it could have been done without a quango, without a logo, without an entire reverse supply chain being built off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's already plant/organic based containers for water and milk etc out there - why didn't they just legislate for them to be used instead of continuing to endorse plastic use - hmmm. something to do with the producers maybe having to shell out the money instead.

They were using them for the 1€ water bottles in Dublin airport when I went through a few weeks ago so why not in wide usage?

As has been pointed out on the thread... easiest switch would have been levy or tax plastics and not cans. But nope Return needed the money from the cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

The 'honesty" water in Dublin airport went up to €2 once they changed from plastic bottles.

Do Dublin airport still expect you to bring the bottle back from your travels to claim the deposit paid in shops there? I brought sn empty bottle last time and used the free hydration station.

I was never one for purchasing fizzy drinks etc so I can't say my purchasing habits have changed there, however the odd time I buy beer I try to look for good deals in bottles now. Most of my plastic bottle use has always, and still is Milk, and then household cleaning products and toiletries like bleach, fabric conditioner, bubble bath, shampoo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ahh you're right 2 euro (just checked my transactions) and it was brought in due to DRS - still cheaper than the rip off shops in every airport worldwide
    I don't know the processing costs of the product but if expensive one would assume mass production would bring prices down to the plastic production levels

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/firm-sues-scottish-ministers-for-200million-after-drs-disaster/ar-BB1osZtO?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=0b450691b49a43ca8cfd607aa5a521db&ei=18

I am so glad our own beautiful scheme is Not for Profit!

Biffa was expecting £10 million in profit per year over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The UK scheme will be up and running by October 2027. Just like Casement Park will be ready for the Euros in 2028.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68898109

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have changed habits, I now check which store is doing a deal on drinks and go there. Last week 18 coke zero for €10 in Tesco or 18 in Dunnes so went to tesco with my 3 black bags of cans and bottles. Then do all the shopping in that stor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes, we need a complete change of habits and instead of increasing recycling to 90%, reduce single use plastic usage to 10%. Like instead of shops selling bottles of coke, have a coke fountain, and you bring your reuseable plastic bottle to get your coke fix. I bought a gatorade branded bottle (obviously it doesnt need to be a branded bottle, I just liked it), and now instead of buying gatorade in bottles, I have gatorade powder and fill my bottle up with tap water.

Similarly, I'd like syrups to become more common and other powders to become more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

First proper nightmare with the system the other day. Went to Tesco in Fairview, machine is down the back of the shop. Display said to call member of staff. As I finish reading it, an aggressive homeless alco starts shouting that he's first in the queue. He didn't see the funny side of it when I laughed and said I was the first one at the machine. He said he'd already called staff and shouted at me to do the same.
    I said 'watch this', and turned off the machine at the socket, and on again, fully expecting it to boot up. But the screen stayed black. He got more irate, and I offered to take his cans to Lidl with me. He didn't like that, took a swing, and landed on the ground.

Off I went to Lidl in East Wall, both machines out of order. Across the road to Aldi, where one machine was down, but I was able to use the remaining one.

So out of five machines, only one was working. Maybe I was wrong all along. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ahem…and I'll quote you…

"Do you need someone to show you how they work maybe?"

😋

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This may have been referenced already so apologies. Obviously as per usual they haven't provided any items sold per month even for context as they want to look at the percentages next year I think or some other BS and while I am skeptical of this I'll give them it but at the bottom of the article it states that or return rate with the old system was actually 80 percent and the aim of this system is to eventually get to 98 percent.

That's the first time I've seen a figure as high as eighty percent given for the return rate of our older system.

If that rate is accurate it's even more baffling why that system wasn't tweaked. If the same amount of marketing and PR spend went into that system as well as some tweaks around the edges there's no reason why a similar target of plus ninety percent couldn't have been achieved with far less negative environmental impact than this hair brained nonsense.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/deposit-return-scheme-reaches-new-milestone-in-june-1736726

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Re-turn says by separating plastic and aluminium from general recycling, Ireland can achieve a 98% quality of recyclate - surpassing the 80% effectiveness of the recycling bin system.

Im reading this as the % of what is collected qualifies as recyclable.

Ireland can achieve a 98% quality of recyclate

Can we? So maybe. When? Another aspirational spoofy stat.

What is included/excluded in this term "98% quality of recyclate". Does this include whats being collected in recycle wheelie bins into the future? Any plans for whats now left in recycle wheelie bins that we're still paying for?

They must have some team of spin merchants coming up with vaguely worded stats about how great things might be at some undefined time in the future. This doesn't tell us very much at all. Stat gymnastics for show.

What would be fairer are some actual stats on the extra carbon footprint of Re-Turn and total deposits charged monthly at point of sale. Before people p!ss themselves yes a lag on the return of containers is only fair also but we are entitled to all this information so we can assess exactly what's happening in this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm old enough to remember the good old days of walking a few yards to your bin and getting on with your life.

Now you have to reboot the bin whilst dodging punches from irate drunks.

I miss the good old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The charities aren't able to claim on crushed cans any more than you or I.

Advertisement