Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Being frank, I see Ryan Baird as a show pony, he’s grand if the ball bounces just right for him to go on a gallop, but I’d rather Prendergast anytime, just a better back row forward, much tougher and better at the graft required, much closer to O’Mahony’s Style.
    And I did preface my post by saying it is out there compared to usual selections.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

and i think most munster fans would argue that, while it worked well in SA, not starting coombes (and RG) on saturday probably didnt work out. i dont think it worked all that well against ulster either tbh but we got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Coombes is a way better player than ruddock.

Farrell is an intensely system based selector. More so than any other international coach imo. Coombes would have been given more rope by almost any other major country and their coaching team.

It worries me a little the new dissonance between leinster and ireland style wise. Ireland was built on that synergy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm really looking forward to the tour. Love watching Ireland play.

Oh sorry, I'm doing it wrong. All these selections are wrong! Why haven't all those amazing 19 year old promising players who might have a high ceiling been selected! Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Interesting squad, I'd have left Healy at home, maybe POM too but then not sure who steps up to the leadership plate in that environment. Murray could have been left at home too but he's had a good season and still has plenty to offer and once JGP was out there was no way he was being left out. I've always liked Blade so happy to see him in, not his best season but he's a good 3rd 9 to have and won't let us down if he does end up on the pitch.

Prendergast, not sure what he's done to get on a squad like this so soon but it'll be a good experience for him. He could get eaten alive defensively if he makes it on the field but I don't think that's why he's there.

No idea what Coombes and Hodnett have to do to get a look in, baffles me completely. Glad for Izzy, exciting prospect. Loughman is unlucky from a Munster point of view but don't think the others taken instead are miles ahead, tight enough call that I'm not too pushed about.

Larmour, love him going forward in terms of x-factor but I don't see him improving his positioning or aerial ability at 27 at this stage. Willie Le Roux had a field day down his wing. Hope Nash starts as he's just a better player.

Big tour for Casey, he was poor the last day but that was the exception rather than the norm. Good chance to lay serious claim to the back 9 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭VayNiice

I was ridiculed for saying this before but I've heard numerous times now that it's not his physical capabilities, skills or on field performances for munster that are lacking..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The only surprise for me , is that with JGP not going , Cooney not given a go as backup, assume its his age, given Johnny no longer involved.

Bench is just a convenient new excuse imo… Conan being on the bench constantly doesn't seem to do his chances any harm. Murray also has spells on the bench. Leinster rotate their 10s every week.

Pace, yeah maybe, if that's what you want your 8 doing. But strength… are ya mad! He's one of the most powerful rugby players on the island. A lot of his tries highlight reel is him barreling through players in the tight. He's an absolute ox. He also covers lock, and I'd say he'd make at least similar or better stab at it than Izzy or Baird. Handling is very good also.

Genuinely don't know how a player regularly posting the level of carries/tackles/rucks/tries that he does is not worthy of more of a look in. But there ya have it, them's the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clearly he isn't, given Ruddock put in motm performances for Ireland, and actually made squads

I mean, if how you judge how good players are is by looking at who was picked and who wasn't, and not watching them and forming your own opinion…. then you do you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm aware bench players can make it, I'm just saying Munster have chosen to bench him for a reason. Maybe the question should be why JOD isn't there rather than him?

In terms of strength, yeah I get he is strong but I don't think it is as easy to overpower people at international level - I phrased that poorly. I don't think he can rely on his strength as much to overpower people. My point with the reference to Ruddock is just that there are people who are very good at a certain level who just aren't quite at the level to go above it. I could be wrong on Coombes, much like Farrell, but he has been in squads a number of times so Farrell has seen him. Potentially he just thinks that his game wouldn't translate well to international level. It's worth at least asking why he was benched for Munster, perhaps his stats weren't translating to a performance the team could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Farrell is an intensely system based selector.

Even if this was true (and I don’t think anyone really believes it), isn’t the inability of a player to adapt to the team’s systems a massive black mark against him?

Like, why can Timoney and Prendergast - aka the guys keeping Coombes out of the squad - manage it and he (according to you) cannot? They don’t play for Leinster either.

That’s not the fault of the coaches, that’s the fault of the player.

But again, that’s your theory, not mine.

I believe it. I'm one.

Everyone is suited to one system or another. Depending on how long Nienebar stays at Leinster, you will start to see guys get marginalized because of that. Lowe defensively, VdF generally are two guys i'll be watching next year especially.

Prendergast and Timoney are better system fits. Coombes skillset is something Farrell seems to want in the second row rather than back row. However, that skillset is something very valued outside ireland by other coaches. Or even at leinster, Nienebar would start coombes imo and shift doris to seven.

I also watched Ruddock and he was a better player than Coombes. As reflected by his caps and being made captain at every level he played at.

Sorry that Man God incarnate Coombes was tragically not selected for the umpteenth squad in a row. It's obviously everyone else's fault but his.

Mod: warning.

Post edited by aloooof on

My take is I don't think Coombes was dropped for Munster, there was an evolution in our approach as we got more of our squad fit again and decided to try him (and others) from the bench to close out matches strongly. He was starting for the vast majority of the last few seasons. If Munster made a final versus Leinster or Bulls he'd start. Or if they got to play Glasgow all over again he'd start and so would Snyman (all imo). I wasn't too fond of the approach to be honest and posted as much but it did work on occasion against the weaker sides. I think it was a useful exercise by the coaching staff and I'm not going to complain about innovation but if we were at the business end of the season again next year I'd be hoping Coombes starts every day of the week. Maybe Gleeson/Edogbo/Quinn/Aherne can give us that oomph from the bench that JOD doesn't next season if we can keep a few fit.

JOD is well down the pecking order at international level and I'm not sure if you're serious there about him over Coombes possibly in green, he's still a good player at URC and Heineken level but those injuries robbed us a bit of his true potential. He's got the Mick O'Driscoll/Billy Holland role in the Munster squad now, he'll lead us in those dirty away nights in Wales and Scotland when our best players aren't available and his versatility means he's a great bench option.

I think your comment about his game not translating well could be closest to the truth, maybe not the international level bit of it, I think he'd do well internationally (and he has had good performances in green lest we forget, people seem to focus on his last game where he was just back from injury and had an off day as if that's his level and that's that). Just to how Farrell wants his 8 to play. I just think you get Doris to 6 and JvdF at 7 to do the carrying and leave Coombes blitzing attacking and defensive rucks like he's been doing all season maybe there's a fit there. Get him carrying the dirty yards tieing up tackles, offloading, and carrying close to the tryline. I don't think he'd partner well with Baird at 6, Prendergast maybe. Anyway, it's all moot, I don't think he can have done much more to be honest, if it was a player from another team posting those kind of stats I'd wager their fans would be saying the same.

It's a competitive position and Timoney and Prendergast are fine players too who I admire so good luck to them.

I don't know why you are getting so emotional, but that's fine. You are allowed to have your opinion. I'm allowed to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looking at any of the Irish Squads (and remember we're only talking about a squad here) since Farrell took over I really don't get the "Coombes is on the bench for Munster" stuff, it's a lazy comeback to say the least

What sort of comeback is appropriate to the same tired cries lamented his non-selection, when it's been clear for awhile that he hasn't done what's been required of him in Farrell's view?

Nothing to be said for another round of Kleyn bitching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I think you'll find we prefer Frisch bitching nowadays.

I don't get why you're getting so worked up by fans calling for an inform player to be internationally recognised. I disagree with Ulster fans saying to call up Balacoune and Cooney, but I don't go "God, why are they still banging on about Cooney and Balacoune? Ian Dowling and Tomàs O'Leary were far superior players anyways".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness Ulster fans complain when their players DO get called up for Ireland squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Because there is squad number limitations, other players are just better in the eyes of the multiple title winning coach.

It's not difficult to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Conan Is a far superior player though. That's why

Potentially he just thinks that his game wouldn't translate well to international level

It probably isn’t anything more complicated than this tbh.

Farrell and POC have seen plenty of him, they know what he’s about and what he can do, they know what they’re looking for, and he’s further away than ever (it would seem).

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People seem to think that every time Andy Farrell selects an Ireland squad that he starts from scratch. As if he sits down with a blank piece of paper, and fills in 1-23/35 by assessing every single player as if they were being picked for the very first time.

It cannot work like this. The team isn't selected from scratch every time, the baseline for any Ireland selection is the previous Ireland selection. A few changes are then made based on extreme variances in form (i.e. there's a large gulf between the form of an incumbent and the form of a hopeful in the same position) and injuries. The default mindset for the selectors isn't to try and identify changes all the time. Coaches love continuity and consistency, they'll change things when they have to or when they are trying to mitigate some concern that they have.

For a new player to get into the squad they need to be playing very well, but they also need some good fortune. They need an incumbent in their position to be out of form, they need an incumbent who hasn't yet established their place in the squad to fail to take the opportunity (this is how Max Deegan got his cap when Coombes made a balls of his chance), or they need injuries. They need something to happen for Farrell to think he needs a change in that position.

For Coombes this has just never happened. He has never played so well and Doris/Conan played so badly that Farrell has had to seriously consider a change. And while Conan is injured now, so is Henderson, and it so happens that there is an Ireland hopeful who has been in great form in both positions where we are missing established players.

Honestly, a large chunk of getting into the Ireland team is related to coming along at the right time. Ringrose emerging after BOD. Doris coming along after Heaslip. Sheehan coming along after Best. Keenan coming along after Kearney. If Keenan had emerged 5 years prior to what he did he'd have had a much harder time of it. We see it all the time. If another young bright hooker breaks through now they're going to have a tougher time of it purely for bad timing alone, there are currently 2 established hookers who are young themselves.

If Stuart McCloskey had come along in the previous generation of players he'd have many more caps IMO, back then Ireland weren't blessed with big, powerful backs.

There are plenty of players of the past with lots of caps who wouldn’t get a sniff of a cap today too.

Good fortune plays a big part of it too.

While you're correct that luck and timing can play a part in things, it also can't be the only explanation.

Like, you said "Doris coming along after Heaslip" - Doris made his debut three years after Heaslip played his last match, and for his first cap he was picked ahead of Peter O'Mahony in a 6N game. He's proof of the exact opposite of your point, that Farrell will throw a guy in, not because he has to but because the guy is good enough.

Likewise Sheehan, two years had elapsed between Best's last game and his debut, Herring and Kelleher were battling it out for the starting jersey - two very good hookers - but Sheehan absolutely blew past both of them. He didn't need an injury or a retirement to claim his spot.

Joe McCarthy started this year's 6N, relegating James Ryan to the bench and a double Lions tourist couldn't even make the 23.

Ditto Crowley, JGP, Baird - and now apparently Sam Prendergast and Frawley have overtaken Ross Byrne, not because Byrne is injured or playing like a drain, but because Farrell sees more in them, like he saw more in Crowley than he did first in Carbery and then in Byrne.

For Coombes this has just never happened. 

It has happened plenty. Every single player will get a 'break' at some point - the difference is that some players will seize the opportunity, others will not. Coombes - like Deegan, Treadwell, Cooney, Baloucoune, Harry Byrne, Hume, Loughman, Burns, Connors, and any number of others - has had opportunities, he just has not seized them.

It's not the only explanation, you are correct, but it is a part of it.

The team selection isn't purely merit based. Taking the spot of an established player requires an element of good fortune or good timing. Doris, for example, would absolutely not have just been thrown in had Heaslip still been playing. Doris broke through at a time when there was an opportunity open.

The same is not true today. Any back row player breaking through now faces a log jam of quality, established, high-cap-count players ahead of them. Only one of these is of an age where their spot would otherwise be vulnerable, but that one player is also the captain so they are getting picked in squads no matter what.

For Coombes to get a cap now he needs more than just playing really well.

I also agree that his performance in the chance he did get will count against him. It'll always be that asterisk in Farrell's mind when he is evaluating Coombes.

I dunno - he picked him again in the RWC training squad well after his poor performance against the NZ XV.

In that case, they went into camp in Carton House in early July (10th July 2023), and Coombes was amongst the players dropped over a month later on August 16th.

That's a month worth of training etc where he's getting observed incredibly closely by the management team. It has to stand to reason that he isn't doing what they want him to do. He's slipping further down the back row pecking order, as even with Conan missing this squad he is still behind guys like Timoney & Prendergast (who are undisputed back rowers, if you want to say Izuchukwu is included as a quasi-lock).

They've spent a lot of time looking at Gavin Coombes at this stage, and he doesn't seem to have progressed in their thinking in that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Likewise Sheehan, two years had elapsed between Best's last game and his debut, Herring and Kelleher were battling it out for the starting jersey - two very good hookers - but Sheehan absolutely blew past both of them. He didn't need an injury or a retirement to claim his spot.

Small point but that's not my recollection with regards Sheehan; didn't a Kelleher injury afford him an opportunity earlier than he otherwise would have?

And that's a point I've often made about the back-row before. It's a position of strength, but there was essentially a 2 year period where there were no opportunities outside of the 4 incumbents thru injury.

Getting any opportunity is way more difficult in that context.

Being consistent, the same line of argument could've been applied to McCloskey for ages, that he's not good enough. But once he got an opportunity and got in, he showed he was more than capable.

I don't disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that Coombes being overlooked is just down to bad luck. I was making a general point about comments like "why isn't player x, y or z getting a go?" and just using Coombes as an example.

In Coombes case, it's my personal belief that he is overlooked for a combination of reasons, including that the things he's very good at would be too easily nullified at test level, and outside of that he doesn't bring anything else that's better than what the incumbents bring.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Coombes has been in plenty of squad and around the Ireland team to show what he can/can't do.

Farrell has pushed players into the team a lot quicker than Coombes so you have to guess he is just not doing it in training or something is up

In terms of Coombes getting another cap, he needs to get back into the squad again and he needs to prove he is better than Timoney and Predergast, it has nothing at this stage to do with Doris etc

Harry Byrne just got dumped out of the squad after probably his best season for a long time, he stayed fit and was playing well yet is gone from the squad. He has more caps than Coombes and was playing in the 6 nations. I doubt we will have as many posts about Harry as we will have on Coombes

Advertisement