Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Bought a Pulsio Air one there lately, have had the cheap Chinese ones but this is definitely a better product. Wasn't even that expensive relatively speaking. Think it was €85.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've had foam rollers and never known how to use them 🥴

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I apologise if this has been asked endlessly(the thread to long to go through atm), am considering doing the couch to 5k programme from the start, but I need some guidance on the timer ppl use for this. Can anyone suggest one that isn't expensive/not a phone/ and pref hang around the neck(tho wrist might work)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I did my c25k using the NHS app and found it great. They also have a great forum called healthunlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Didn’t know where to ask this and I apologise if it’s already been asked but I bought Saucony Ride 17s for my vanilla daily stuff and it’s a very comfortable runner. The only problem I have is that the tongue slips down almost immediately which is very bothersome for the top of my foot. Anyone any hacks? It doesn’t happen with other runners Saucony or otherwise for me.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looking for a 10k race in Munster mid/late July. Any recommendations? Was going to do Kilkee but it's sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Theres a new race in Youghal on the August 11th if that's any good, part of a new weekend festival.

https://www.corkathletics.org/events/eventdetail/7292/-/youghal-half-marathon-10k-2024.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Might be a bit early for you, but there is a 10k in Dundrum Tipperary on 3 July.

Flat fast 2 lap course, always a great event. And a potentially a PB to be had 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

This would be perfect location wise but I've a stag the weekend before. I might still go to this but certainly won't be a PB attempt!

Thanks, I'll take a look. A bit of a trek for me but could make a night of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Does it have eyelets in the tongue itself? Some shoes do. Lace ‘em up if so, that might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi all - I'm heading up the DCM 24 novices thread. If a couple of people would like to help out with the mentoring please drop me a dm here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

no, not even. I raced in the endorphin speeds last night and they don’t either but no bother with the tongue slipping in them strangely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’ve and others have done it. Just look at Dublin as a training run. Check what your plan is. My own plan was 37km easy. So I just plod around. Might bang a few MP miles over last few but really depends. I’ve a sports massage booked in a few days after it. The most important thing is to stick to your plan and not get caught up in the race. Both races are great

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kd82

Thanks @Trampas . I've decided to just do Valencia this time. I've an upcoming holiday so just want to enjoy that and have an extra month before starting the marathon block. It's only my second marathon so I think it's the right choice to just go with 1 and pop into Dublin to support. Thanks for the advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Marathon training plans - Intervals and how you should feel after doing them.

I'm curious as to what people would consider the norm for doing intervals or other speed work, as part of a marathon training plan. What I've read is that if you've decided on your planned finishing time, you calculate the paces required for the speed work etc. When you're actually doing the intervals if you find yourself gasping for breath during the recovery period of the interval then you've likely chosen too ambitious a finishing time / pace. This seems like sound advice but I've a question on it….

If you imagine you're doing a session of 6 X 800m and for 4 of those intervals you're OK during the recovery section (I mean you're not totally fine but you're not doubled over gasping). However, for the last couple it starts to be quite a bit more difficult, you can maintain the required pace but at the end of the section would definitely need about half of the recovery time before you could jog again (assuming active recovery). Would that still be an indicator that the pace is too ambitious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm a bit rusty on intervals as I've not really been following any plans. Why not look at it from an effort perspective, rather than pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I think there's a bit of over-thinking going on here. If you're not doubled-over and your legs aren't hanging off you afterwards, then all's well. The recovery period is as the name suggests for recovering - not half of this period but all of it.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood your post. It sounds now like you're stopping after the interval, before starting to jog? You should always be able to just fall back into a jog in between intervals, even a very slow jog just to keep things moving.

• Advertisement

Thanks, what's happening for me (not always but most intervals sessions) is the following:

6X800m session with 2 min recovery.

First 4 X 800 fine, run the interval, jog the 2 min recovery, repeat.

Last couple, definitely feeling like I'm lucky this isn't 7X800 cause I know I'm wrecked. Manage to maintain the pace, into the recovery - standing still, get breath back for 30 second or 1 min then jog the final 1 min recovery. I hasten to add that this is only the last couple of intervals, possibly part of it is psychological in that I know I'm nearing the end of the session.

So - question is, given that it's only the final couple of intervals that see me struggling, is this the norm or am I pushing too hard? Should I blast through all 6 repeats without a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Rossi7

No reason why you can't stop altogether for the recoveries. Rule of thumb I follow is that you should be able to do an extra one if my coach asks. You are getting your body use to feeling uncomfortable at a certain pace. You want each interval to be even throughout ie 800m @4mins avg, each lap should be 2mins or thereabouts. No use hammering the 1st 400 in 1.50 and blowing the 2nd 400 in 2.10. This maybe the reason you find the last couple of reps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Yep, consistency is key. If you hammer the first few you'll really struggle towards the end.

If the reps are consistent then I don't worry too much about the recovery in between

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I think you're paying way too much attention to the pace of a short interval workout. Being unable to complete a 6*800m as prescribed means you went out too hard in the first few reps, slow your pace for those. But the difference between doing (for example) 4*800 at 3:00 versus 6*800 at 3:10 has very little to do with what you're capable of running a marathon in. If you were struggling to do longer workouts, like say 15-20k at marathon pace (in the latter stages of a plan), then yes, you should start looking at whether your planned pace is realistic, but 800m rep pace really isn't that relevant.

Also, this part:

you've decided on your planned finishing time, you calculate the paces required for the speed work etc.

is a bit off (IMO). I mean, it depends on where you are in your running life, as well as where you are in your specific plan, but your paces should be based off your current level of fitness, not what you hope to be able to do at the end of the plan. If a plan calls for 5k at marathon effort in the first week of a plan, I consider that to mean 5k at marathon effort, not necessarily 5k at the pace I hope to do 18 weeks from now. A quote from Jack Daniels (not the whiskey guy):

For the first 6 weeks of this program, use the lesser of the VDOT values that is equal to a recent race and 2 VDOT units lower than your anticipated marathon VDOT

(VDOT being a calculation of your running ability based on a race time, and used to specify your workout paces)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

"If a plan calls for 5k at marathon effort in the first week of a plan, I consider that to mean 5k at marathon effort, not necessarily 5k at the pace I hope to do 18 weeks from now. A quote from Jack Daniels (not the whiskey guy):"

This is very interesting, not something I'd thought of before. I'm not sure how I'd quantify marathon effort though, I find it difficult to know, in the early stages, what I'd be capable of running for that distance and would err on the side of caution (meaning possibly slower than I would be able for).

This is the first time I've seen that though, the idea that while a plan might call for a 5k MP effort in week 1, you don't actually have to hit exactly MP on it. Previously I would have immediately written off, in week 1, the idea of achieving any finishing time that I couldn't meet the prescribed distances and paces for as per the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Ok so a small subset of 2 marathons but I went with MP effort for the whole 2 training blocks and only settled on the pace in the last weeks. Fitness improves as you go so especially early in the plan I went with effort.

For me I used HR and a combination of race and easy pace to get a rough idea. I had a rough HR zone, 150 to 160 and then I also looked at my easy pace, bracket up was steady and next bracket up was MP. This was plenty in the beginning to get a rough idea. I didn't run to a MP for a very long time and my MP on race day was slightly faster then my training effort. I'd expect on race day to be fitter and more rested than sitting training so didn't worry about the pace being slower than any particular goal pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

😎test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Add 40 to 50 secs per km to your 5k race pace and see how you get on.

I've also used HR, I tend to start about 5 beats below my marathon average HR, works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

First 10k race in Achill next week and I'm floored with Covid, no energy and haven't run in over a week.

Can't see me managing a long run this weekend either so i fear Achill won't happen

Has anyone run with or shortly after a bad bout with brain fog?

• Advertisement

I'll let you know tomorrow hopefully, currently feeling pretty wiped out from some dose. Wanted to stay in bed all day yesterday, a bit better today and I'm hoping to try some form of running tomorrow but time will tell. Very frustrating.

Advertisement