Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’ll just ask you did you see this young chap hurling in the flesh this year I know superstar was probably a it OTT but I was only expressing his wonderful skill and pace to people who might. Ot have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I’m not digging anyone out about calling players superstars or very good or over hyping players my point was that coming on saying we should nt be saying that young players are very good is ridiculous

Tibruit was suggesting this kind of talk would go to the players head I was disagreeing completely with this

What’s said on a message board isn’t going to have players heads in a cloud as tibruit suggested and they won’t need a sports psychologist before there final the all Ireland final

I’ve watched most of the kk minor games this year before you go after me for not going to games 🤣

As I’ve said more than once I think the backs all have potential and great skill and talent Phelan looks like a great prospect and is one of thoose players that just looks born to play fullback

I think they all have potential considering there are about twelve of them underage next year even if they don’t beat Tipp in the final I think the future underage is a lot brighter than it has been for years maybe that’s why I’m losing the run of myself. I am running out of time you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If the majority of them are only 15 and 16 years of age any talk of future is bright etc is premature to say the least. They won't be anywhere near a senior set up for 5+ years. Minor at U17 in 2024 is a country mile away from minor at U18 in 2004. Enjoy them for the performances they put in now and leave it at that in my opinion but I wouldn't begrudge anyone talking them up either.

There was an interesting study done on Clare players who played in the Tony Forristal over a 30 year period up to 2016 and how very very few of them made the grade

https://www.irishnews.com/gaa/the-only-guarantee-around-player-development-is-that-there-are-no-guarantees-FBU43CBAIFAUTNBTVNZDY6G2UQ/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I agree completely

I’m sure you ll make it to Saturday week anyway at least 🤣

• Advertisement

As I said earlier we should fill the park for this final it’s a disgrace if we don’t no excuses and actually now is the time to bring out the colours and we could leave them up for the senior campaign. So before anyone says anything as Donald Sutherland said in “Kelly’s heroes “ less of the negative vibes man. The city was terrible last year as regards colour,low key didn’t do anything for us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Tipp clubs are putting on buses for their juveniles.

There's a good chance we'll be outnumbered 3 to 1.

well we certainly can’t let that happen, can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Our Seniors got comfortably outnumbered in the Wexford match, I’d expect the minors to be outnumbered as well which is a shame as it’s not often you get to play an All-Ireland Final on your home ground in front of your home fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Tipp supporters aren't exactly turning up in massive numbers of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They reckon Tipp had 6 or 7k at the u20 final v Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

Billy, Wexford must have had a very good minor team? Beat Kilkenny and a highly touted Cork team, and gave Clare a good rattle. Some of there better players underage next year too

No grats but if Tipp are confident of a win they will pack the stadium.

They were hit and miss, Kilkenny game was the standout performance, Sean O'Brien grandson of Jimmy O'Brien who played in the 60's looks an outstanding prospect probably the best forward in the whole minor championship and still u16, he's was in 3rd year last year and starting and taking frees for the Good Counsel senior team, relied to much though on him for scores, Jack Dunne son of Liam in midfield and 3 or 4 of the backs look to have plenty of potential too. Good chance I'll actually go to the minor final myself as a netural should be a brilliant occasion, might be going against the grain on this one but I actually like moving the minor final away from being the curtain raiser to the senior, its a main event now rather than going ahead with plenty of people in attendance only having a passing interest, Offaly Tipp 2 years ago would be the perfect example, I think something like a Railway Cup type game outside obviously of the 2 teams who made the final was muted as a potential curtain raiser for the Senior final in the future.

True. Anyway it's great to have it to look forward to. The players have shown great character over the last few months when things didn't always go their way. It should stand to them in their future hurling careers. I've been at all their games and am thrilled to see them get to the final. They've provided great entertainment along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

While it’s fantastic that Kilkenny are back in a minor final.I don’t think its right that a lot of these minors haven’t even trained with their clubs this year never mind play a match.We are now at the end of June.

It’s really putting a divide between club and county players.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

This schedule issue is of wexfords own making. The all ireland quater finals have been in place for 5 years.a look at the masters fixtures last January showed when they were fixed for.Bar wexford made a lenister final they were always going to be involved this weekend. And wexford still put on feile same weekend. It's a one day tournament now where no host families are accommodating any players.Bit of a storm in a teacup but should have been avoided.

1st thing Wexford did was contact Croke Park the Monday after the Kilkenny game to flag the issue, 1st suggestion was swap the hurling and football Feile the following weekend around , wasn't possible due to teams travelling over from the US. The fact your think there's no host families shows your lack of knowledge on the issue, there's players from the US as I mentioned, Antrim, Tyrone etc. playing matches from 11 Saturday morning, are they all travelling by helicopter? Apparently there will 5k people in Ferns alone on Saturday with the Feile. Thing that annoyed me was it was such an easy fix without Tailteann Cup being effected, 7pm in Nowlan Park Saturday night, if Clare had an issue with that they can sod off in all honesty, last 4 years they've played us in Thurles 3 times and Dublin in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sir Chaz

Hard to fathom the Féile clash with the Quarter finals. First of all for the GAA to allow it to happen initially, and secondly for them not to change it immediately after Wexford qualified and flagged it, which was before the Tailteann Cup Qtr Finals were played. That was a perfect opportunity and would have denied the chance for any county to lobby the way Sligo did.
    You'd have to feel sorry for the Wexford volunteers, players, parents and families who would normally be in Thurles, and also the other competing counties with teams involved, along with plenty of neutrals who won't be able to see or attend one of the biggest occasions on the hurling calendar. It's a huge undertaking to host Feile and I understand there are 5 competing teams from Wexford also.

Yet another example of GAA dropping the ball on this and blatantly favouring football over hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

It is complete incompetence by the GAA to have this clash with Feile. They must have known that:

1. The Feile dates and
    2. That there was a very good chance that Wexford would be playing in this round of matches. Hoping that they would'nt be isn't much of a strategy.

It is extremely unfair on the Wexford club members who have to stay away because they are volunteering at Feile. This has nothing to do with split season etc, it is just laziness and incompetence by the GAA who are always hoping to never have to make a hard decision. Tom Ryan as director general leads a very charmed life. He never appears on RTE or the papers to account for anything, Jarlath Burns is put forward the minute any controversy arises. 'GAA sources' looks after the rest. There is absolutely no real leadership with the GAA to even address any of the real problems that exist. Jarlath Burns talks a good game but he has already found out the politics and politicians he is up against

Hosting kids in homes stopped years ago as a child protection measure.Dunnamaggin are representing Kilkenny in the lgfa next weekend in galway and have had to pay over €5000 to stay on the Friday night before. Connacht hotel you can check the booking 🤑🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

Tailteann Cup - What a joke, Sunday afternoon coming to the real knock out of the hurling and senior football championship and they have this shite on TV.

There's 21 teams competing from Wexford across hurling and camogie. Clare's role in the whole thing is jarring, Monday of last week Jarlath Burns was at a meeting in Limerick related to the football championship, the officials from Clare raised the issue of moving the hurling games to Sunday as they suggested Saturday lunchtime did nothing for hurling promotion. When it came to a vote last Sunday they did a u-turn presumably given their opponents in the game wanted a change and their motives for it, only Liam McCarthy competing counties who voted against it were Clare as I said and Galway in support of their Connacht counterparts Sligo. As I said a day switch wasn't required in my opinion but I believe RTE who are showing 2 Tailteann Cup and 2 hurling games advised that was the only option for them.

I'll take your word for it but regardless of that the fact everyone involved in the Feile players, families, volunteers etc. are being denied an opportunity to go the Thurles when it was so avoidable is a bit ridiculous

NOW YOU HAVE A LITTLE BIT O KNOWLEDGE ON THE ISSUE. If the Tyrone kids aren't using the helicopter we could do with it to get back some family for Minor All Ireland from Galway.

Your initial post of this being's Wexford own making and a storm in teacup ultimately shows you haven't a clue on the reality of the situation.

13th of October 2023 wexford was selected as venue for feile hurling. Master fixture schedule was also available showing hurling quarter finals for same day .That's when it should have been looked at.And in advance for next year hurling quarter finals will be same date.we can look down our nose at a secondary football competition but we have 4 tiers in hurling. So I think they are entitled to a big day in croke park. Anyway I will be looking at it on the big screen in Ferns on Saturday. And then we will get back to the feile.

Post edited by kilkennyboy on

Would it have been perceived as arrogant if we flagged this last October as it would have only 4 months after we nearly ended up getting relegated to the Joe Mcdonagh? Nobody said Tailteann Cup teams aren't entitled to a big day in Croke Park and as I mentioned this issue could have been fixed without those games also be rearranged? Been realistic though given there's no semi final in it could you imagine a Joe Mcdonagh final getting preference over 2 AI football quarter finals?

• Advertisement

I have family and friends living in Wexford, all of which are annoyed over the debacle, and rightly so. But, they've moved on at this late stage, as have the team I would guess. They have to. Jarlath Burns did his bit for his Wexford connections and could do no more. End of.

Advertisement