Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"But they don't get to force people to like it and they don't get to take the moral high ground and accuse people of being racist or.bigots for letting them know they don't like it."

When have they done any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

'There is one reason and one reason only to choose a black samauri and that is to fit in the current climate of being seen not to be discrimatory but there is glaringly obvious irony to this that in trying so hard that you end up being racist to those you are excluding.'

It's about as ironic as Alanis Morissette's Ironic which ironically wasn't very ironic.

You're really trying hard to feel victimised and/or victimised on behalf of someone else. That must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There's a clause in their user agreements at the beginning of games where you have to like black people and they got all pissy and took back their game when I told them I didn't want to sign it. Not because I'm racist. Just want to be clear about that. I just don't like black people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: OK I think everyone’s made their points on this particular subject and we’re just going around in circles now. Start a separate thread if you need to discuss it further. Let’s get back to other topics here, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

__

I see Still Wakes the Deep has reviewed quite well, with its story and voice acting coming in for praise. Anyone played it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, I've woken up to serious flouncing energy around here.

No, but I'm looking at the trailer and wondering why more horror games or movies haven't been set on oil rigs? It's such an obvious, isolating location and if they ever wanted to make a Thing sequel in earnest, there's the location to use

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Still Wakes the Deep looks excellent. Reminds me of a program i watched just last year, Scottish oil rig with hints of supernatural shenanigans.

• Advertisement

I thought this was interesting, Bamco gave Elden Ring dlc reviewers a guide and strategies on where to find upgrades, weapons and spells for anyone struggling to get through. I had thought that imagine having a load of work dumped on your virtual desk with deadlines and one of those was to complete and review Souls content. Not an easy task, good on Bamco catering to them but i feel it has to take away the factor of wandering around, finding an awesome location, beating a tough boss and getting a beauty of a surprise reward?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's going to bring up the debate again about how reviews can't play games and Eurogamer will be a focus. But it's a good thing for them to provide for long games so reviewers can optimise their time and get a review out in a timely manner.

Yeah some reviews I watched yesterday talked about it taking about 30 hours to complete but you really need to have gotten a lot of the upgrade stuff unique to the dlc to have a chance against the main boss, and that some of those materials get really hard to find. The level design seems a lot more vertical so you can see areas below you but it could be hours before you end up down there.

So a bit of a guide for the reviewers probably not a bad thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Foolishly clicked the original tweet quoted there and it and many of the responses are as pathetic as expected. It's a gross misintepretation of the review in the first instance, which is one of the more thorough and well articulated I've read (including deep engagement with the systems and story). Though expecting some of the hateful anime avatar accounts to actually read and engage with the review is probably an expectation too far.

But several other reviews I've read have suggested the game can be brutally difficult, which is not automatically 'a good thing just because it's From Software'. I've finished every one of their games and most of the DLC and have certainly come across bosses that I found more annoying to fight than satisfying. I would argue some of the final or optional bosses of these games are frustrating difficulty spikes, and yes in some cases have soured me on aspects of the game at the final stretch.

The idea that hitting a wall at the final boss and getting frustrated is some opinion to be disregarded and mocked is of course usual internet idiocy and pathethic elitism, but given the state of things on the hellsite twitter I very much hope this isn't resulting in any abuse being directed towards the review author.

Yeah I never actually finished the Bloodborne DLC because I got to the final area (the harbour area before OoK) and just felt like I wasn't enjoying it and definitely wouldn't enjoy the final boss.

From what I hear of the final boss of this DLC, a bit harder than Malenia overall, but also has attacks equal to or greater than her Waterfowl Dance that seems like victory could just depend on RNG and if they use that attack, because it seems next to impossible to avoid.

Yeah that's one thing for an optional super boss, but extra frustrating when it's gating you out of finishing the core experience. I also think the focus on ultra difficulty can distract from the plethora of other things these games do so well.

It also doesn't help that DLC for these games arrives long after the main game. I never finished Dark Souls 3's second DLC, but a large part of that was because at that stage it had been a while since I finished the core game and just couldn't readjust to the game comfortably to tackle some extra hard DLC bosses. Even booting up Elden Ring last night just to readjust to the controls I know it'll take me a while to warm up for Erdtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing it yesterday as it's on Gamepass. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Since this DLC takes about 30+ hours to complete you should be able to shake off the cobwebs before the final boss

Took me a few hours but eventually I started to remember all the different features

This DLC does look to be tough though. I have read people with insane builds of level 400+ getting walloped by enemies

Oh no doubt, though obviously still a challenge jumping into a high level area after two years away! And definitely don’t have the time or inclination to start fresh.

The same Eurogamer review points out the first three bosses are tough but fair, and then it was the fourth that really upped the challenge.

Twitter is an absolute cesspit, even more so with Musk but there are moments of beauty like this. She beat 2 Mohg's on 2 different systems with one hand on each controller.

For people who never played Elden Ring, Mohg is a very tough boss fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bloody hell I can barely play video-games with one controller, let alone trying to do it with two.

I think it's hard too not to get so attached to your build which has carried you through most of the endgame fine, but which doesn't work against the final boss. It's near impossible to cater for every build, but sometimes it's as hard fighting with a build which isn't optimal as it is to switch to a different build you're not familiar with.

Although it's a very different game in all aspects, I still remember absolutely loving Thronebreaker (the Gwent game) and having a great deck and tactics which were great, and having to completely throw it all out the window for the final fight because you pretty much had to use a particular set and strategy or you had no hope of winning.

A lot of people had the same thing with Malenia, where they got so stuck on her that their only option was to respec and go with Rivers of Blood or Mohg's spear to give them a chance. Sure, some weapons and builds will always give you better odds, but it should never feel like a requirement to change your build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Lets hope its better than that tripe I dont think I have ever hated as TV show as much ( assuming this was the one with Martin Compston)

"A lot of people had the same thing with Malenia, where they got so stuck on her that their only option was to respec and go with Rivers of Blood or Mohg's spear to give them a chance."

It is, and I only made it half way through. Great premise but they fumbled it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah the ending was properly laughable, I give up on games quite easily when poor but a tv show I can stay to the end, this time I wish I hadnt.

I feel for that game coming out the same time as Elden DLC. I will probably have forgotten it exists by the time I finish up with Elden.

I'd still argue Elden Ring loses quite a bit of its luster in the final quarter or so. As you say, From sort of lose control over the build balance given the plethora of options on the table so a fight like Melania feels a lot more prescriptive in terms of gameplay. But it also loses its rich openness in favour of becoming a mini Dark Souls 4. That's not without its moments, but IMO the moments when Elden Ring really and truly cooks are either early in the game or the ways those early areas reveal hidden depths (or heights) when you revisit them later on.

Yeah I'd agree with that. The Haligtree, Mohgwyn Area and Crumbling Farum Azula are a lot like legacy dungeons and are pretty linear, and the Mountaintop of the Giants area is just such a PITA that I think by that stage, most people just want to get through the area as quick as possible due to starting to tire from the game. Especially if they've been doing the underground cities and areas too. I know that's how I felt anyway.

I wouldn't mind trying Still Wakes the Deep, but I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese Room narrative game in 2024. I was a big fan of the Dear Esther and Rapture, but I feel a lot has changed in the nine years since the latter's release, and developers have become a lot more ambitious in evolving beyond the constraints of those early, formative 'walking sims'. Obviously a well written one can still hit the spot (like Devotion) and others are a lot more ambitious in terms of form (like Anthology of the Killer). But I definitely don't have the enthusiasm to jump straight into Still Wakes the Deep I might have had ten years ago. And I'm still a bit uncertain about what the studio even is these days, given how the owners laid off their staff and rebuilt.

I've unsubscribed from Game Pass for now as I won't be using it for the foresseabble, but I'll give it a go if I resubscribe later in the year (or maybe if it's on sale before then).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Advertisement