Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭appledrop

There was a brilliant letters page in Irish Times at weekend about the Irish summer.

In winter its 5-15 degrees and Irish people dress for the weather in winter clothes.

In summer it's 5-15 degrees and Irish people dress in shorts and tshirts 😂.

Any of you that were in shorts today might want to get yourself checked for hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I played 9 holes earlier and everyone was in shorts. Golfers love a tan. The course is bone dry.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Banarol

No matter how cold the weather is my legs would never get cold when wearing shorts…my arms are a different story, would definitely need the long sleeves in the cold, unless I was exercising

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭doyle55

Met Eireann has Galway roasting next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After a dull cool start it turned increasingly fine as the day went on from mid morning. Cool breeze but nice where there was some shelter, was doing a bit of work outside for a time late morning early / afternoon and was in short sleeves in no time. Exceptionally nice bright evening with oceans of fresh air. Mention of muggy nights next week on Met Eireann forecast, will be getting the fans down from the attic 🙂

Did very well in Kerry for clear skies today.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Deep dive is on YouTube, it's interesting to say the least , I just hope we beat our record temperature of 33.3c this summer , its an old record 1887 and 1987 so we badly need it broken , in July 2022 Dublin would have beaten it if it wasn't for the stupid cloud cover , temperatures in the phoenix park got to 33.1c setting a new county record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I hope we don't. If its beaten all we will hear about is how this is another consequence of climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Friday cool and wet locally on latest GFS . High of 11/12c and wet. County Down and Dublin up around the 16/17c mark for a time. Cool in most places for the time of year.

Yes that's very true hadn't thought of that one

• Advertisement

That may be true but you forget in summer the sun is at its strongest and it may be 17c and sunny or cloudy but you can still get burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

very pleasant if cool morning 8c. N Kildare

People are in for a very nice shock with what’s on the horizon weather wise next week.

Potential for up to 27c with long sunny spells for a lot of next week.

A couple more runs for it to be absolutely set in stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

A fine and mostly sunny start in N Kildare 9c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lovely morning. Blue skys and sun. 6C. Leitrim. Ground is still very wet but the forecast might change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

MT saying weather breaking down from midweek on next week...who to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ha, take his word over mine. I'm looking at all models and best case scenario. UKMO supports a very nice spell as does the ECM, I think he uses the GFS(I could be wrong)

Gonzo will confirm anyway but ME still on board around my location

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

I'm never really sure as to whether you're trying to wind people up with your constant 'beautiful day in Galway', for as someone who has family in Galway and who loves Galway, sadly I can safely say it must rain more in Galway than most other counties in Ireland. So maybe you're just one of those Irish people who is basically just happy with our weather any day that it's not raining, and you consider any dry day where the sun rears it's head now and again as a 'beautiful day'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm hopefully for today, currently only 10 degrees but lovely sunshine and if it's stays around it should feel nice and warm later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking like it could be unsettled after midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

brighter today on the east coast but still nippy no doubt it’s 25degrees in Galway 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

gfs this morning is a horror show after the 72 hour settled spell that we scrape together.

Outlook is a continuing to suggest the warm and dry interval could slowly transition around Tuesday to near normal temperatures and unsettled conditions, as frontal systems break down the high pressure from south and west, some potential evident for significant rainfalls later next week.

yay more rain.

then the green finger of slime returns and back to a cold northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭well24

For one the sun is alot stronger, secondnly you will find it hard to get a daytime temperature below 15 degrees now (other than the obvious really exposed coasts, mountains etc..)

BUT when the sun is out its actually lovely and warm, but when it goes behind cloud its gets quite chilly, hard to know what to wear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next week is still all to play for, looks like a few settled days and then turns unsettled mid week but that's like a week away so the unsettled charts are not nailed in just like the week spell of warm sunny weather not nailed in either. The only thing that is certain is that it's turning warmer and any cool weather will be short lived rather than the prolonged spell of cold weather we are just exiting. Everything past June 25th on the ensemble graph has great uncertainty with lots of scatter. As for MT's forecasts I think he mostly bases his forcasts on the Canadian model the GEM

The cold spell which ends today is perhaps the longest cold spell we've had since 2018 and it will probably be several years before we see another of similar duration, just hopefully next time it actually occurs in the winter and not the summer.

Latest extended range forecast from Met Eireann

Week 2 (Monday 01 July to Sunday 07 July)

There is a signal for somewhat more changeable conditions for the first week of July. Low pressure is shown to have more of an influence on our weather. This will bring more frequent showers or possibly spells of rain. Rainfall will be near normal or slightly above as a result. Temperatures will be around normal or marginally above also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

That is nearly 2 weeks away,the weather could be anything by then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The extended Met forecast is also purely an interpretation of the EC46 charts, nothing else. They're nothing we don't already know that we can see for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

MT goes by the gfs AM run,the gem model is showing sizzling conditions every day next week ,that certainly isn't mentioned in his forecast dis morning, looks more gfs to me

Advertisement