Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan announces he is stepping down as Green Party Leader

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

no datacenters are also bad and banned, Amazon threatened to move out due to this stupid policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Do you know how much 37GW of offshore wind and storage for this to cover 1-2 weeks of no wind will cost?

Because figures for a nuclear plant are widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

If it's real, what is Catherine Martin doing flying on a jumbo jet to Miami? Shouldn't she be in the bog of Allen firing buckets of water into it to alleviate the climate change disaster she claims we are complicit in?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Is she really

No wonder she hasn’t bothered her arse replying to an email I sent her a couple of days ago

Tbf I’d rather stuff myself with ropa vieja and do a few lines with Tony Montana too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

Every project was and is a criminal waste because Irish governments dont do project management. Metro is a crazy plan as was the luas PPP and Greens said nothing about it because they cant string a coherent sentence together about real engineering. They can't see anything beyond bike lanes and salad pots. Dublin cant sustain a metro investment. The subsidy from government would be astronomical. Transdev get 200 million a year to drive and maintain the trams on both lines. Gov look after the tracks and power at taxpayers expense. The Gov get the fares but theres hardly a million people using the trams on a weekly basis. Its an awful deal for the tax payer considering the initial 1 billion cost of constrcution of the two luas segments . I suppose no more wasteful than the M3 PPP in Meath or Limerick tunnel PPP. The Galway road is needed but it could have been a lot greener in the detail. it prob wont happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ahh the old balance sheet. The pure indicator of fiscal responsibility.

Easy when you have sectors which skew the actual experience of the ordinary citizen.

Let’s take a few indicators. Retail? Indigenous? Non existent. Wages? For one of the “richest” countries in the world, they aren’t exactly high.

A few other things to take into the long term view, social welfare payments for the “refugees”. Health on its knees and completely dysfunctional. Housing? Probably unaffordable for the majority of individuals who need it most. Competing with state funds for the same housing stock rules most young people out. Groceries? Need I even state the obvious.

funny you ignored the societal changes that have been on display. Having visited home last Christmas, personally was the only “Irish” person on the street at times. Crime through the roof, of course no ethnicity indicators are taken to show who is committing the crime.

All in all, those in the know and who are connected do well, the ordinary joe and Josephine have much more difficult lives than 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

You left out social welfare for working refugees.

I wonder if the Greens ever linked car usage to fewer bus routes and people having to move further away from family and work?

I think nuclear is a must, but I don't think any Irish government thus far is competent or responsible enough to be let near such a project. If we do go down that route we'll need outside babysitters to oversee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://x.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1803173686943326400

Give roisin the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Pity they talk out of 2 sides of their mouths when it comes to climate change.

Reduce consumption but add more people through migration living for said first world consumption.

Reduce co2 emissions. Nuclear power can never be consider. Even with new technology developments in sector

There full of ****.

• Advertisement

Why haven't FF or FG sorted out nuclear then, they've been in power for 100 years?

If you're going to blame the Greens for no nuclear, surely we'll get it after they have no seats after the general election?

It's amazing the power people think the Green party have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I didn't say have a plant built in their tenure. Their only method of energy production and co2 reduction is wind and solar.

They need to broaden their minds but they are a stubborn bunch now aren't they.

Fair enough but people should demand nuclear from FF FG instead of just blaming the minority green party for not going down that route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Sorry to hear that you've that problem.

As for my original post, a lad from work was complaining about being cold at night and it turned out that he had type 2 diabetes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rodric one of the front runners

Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

With Ryan and Martin both out, I wonder if the party will implode (they're not exactly a stable, coherent entity in the first place) and bring down the Government?

It could all be theatre too. FG and Harris fancy their chances in an early election. Ryan knows he and his will bear the brunt of the electorate's frustrations so he's following Leo's example and getting out early, and Martin (who demonstrated during the RTE mess her complete inability to manage anything) has seen the way the wind is blowing and is out too.

General Election in July?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Harris is not concerned with the GP as regards the next election, I'd bet. Labour returned over twice as many councillors as them IIRC. SD got more seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If he's the only one to put his name forward then unless someone pulls him aside as says you're not fit to run a bath budyy, then he'll get the gig which will most definitely be the end of the greens come election time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Of course there won't be a general election in July. While Martin has ruld herself out of leader she has stated she is running again. Every green TD needs that budget to give themselves the best chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Also in his time as  Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources he somehow managed to screw up that recipricol "Memorandum of Understanding" deal with the UK to put BBC1 and BBC2 on Saorview and RTE1 and RTE2 on Freeview.

The RTE on Freeview thing happened, but not the recipricol bit of course.

• Advertisement

Looking at who is most likely to retain their seats, there is theory should only be 2 candidates for the Job.

Whoever replaces muppet in DBS (Gaurenteed to be Pippa) and Ossian in DLR

ROG will lose his seat in that constituency(Dub West) (very confident of that)

;m not even sure they'll be gaurenteed a single seat returned but DLR would be their best bet which would leave Ossian as the most logical of choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ossian is on Morning Ireland at mo - he has ruled himself out of the leadership race.

So, in my theory, that should only leave Pippa as the logical choice, (another one for the birds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He has just backed Pippa Hackett and wants to run as deputy leader for her campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,609 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ryan and Martin leaving.

Like Rats Fleeing a Sinking Ship called the Green Party.

There wont be many takers for leader that's for sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If Hackett did win, we'd have female leaders in all the 'established' parties bar FF and FG (PBP don't have a leader).

There are two already.

Pippa and ROG.

They'll go with Pippa. Even the GP are aware of the disdain ROG is held by the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

left before we had a chance to vote him out

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FFG are afraid of their own shadow so nuclear will never be an option.

The connector with France will give us nuclear energy indirectly in any event.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I doubt it, he is pretty popular in his constituency and topped the poll on the first count in the last election.

I imagine his reasons to retire are varied.

Discontent inside his own party, length of time in public life, his family and his age.

The problem for the Green Party over the past few years is, every other party in Ireland now have Green agendas and Policies where traditionally the Green Party were seen as mad outliers.

Advertisement