Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not if your ball clearly went into a water hazard, if it does then you have options e.g. stroke and distance but a provisional ball is not one of them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

When I walk onto a tee box I try to see the shot I want to hit , shape, flight, landing area , where the miss is etc. I’m sure this is pretty universal

As for the swing itself it depends what I’m trying to achieve. Ball position changes for low or high, draw or fade. Same goes for aim, and face angle at impact, are you hitting it normal or taking some off etc

Basically there’s loads you can think of and it’s easy to see where overthinking can happen. The practice, or for me more importantly , the memory of hitting those shots well does help execute them under pressure.

Honestly the only time someone mentioned they weren’t thinking over a shot have just hit a bad shot. That’s not a dig, more to highlight that most people could do with more thinking at the right time. I’m sure there’s good and great golfers out there who more closely follow how you play I just haven’t come across them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭chalky_ie

You have most likely dropped 3 shots because you've gotten used to your course. Your original comment was just a typical know-it-all style post, it offered zero real insight or advice. Maybe if you had explained in some detail that simplifying your pre-shot routine or thoughts over the ball has helped you get better etc. etc., people would have taken it as a genuine post, instead of a condescending jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I wasnt having a jab or trying to be condescending.

I think people overthink things and sometimes they should just play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

In fairness, with regard to thinking while playing, we could all do with doing it more during a round or even shot. We could also do with doing it less. If I try to playing without thinking about anything I will slice the bejaysus out of everything. If I try to hit three quarter shots without thinking, I'll duff every one. But where overthinking really gets me is on a windy day, I could aim so far right that a cross wind becomes a wind I'm hitting directly into. And when I'm trying to keep the ball back in my stance, short backswing, low follow through, etc, I'm lucky if I hit the ball before I fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes and I’m pretty sure is not an option in the CONGU area

Yes you are correct if it’s clear and obvious (spindling like VAR now🤣). But sometimes it might not be clear if your ball went into a hazard ( the purists will go mad at us now for calling them hazards 🤣)

Rule 18.3 prohibits playing a provisional ball If the only place your ball could be lost is in a penalty area. If you do, then it just becomes the ball in play.

However there is a model local rule B3 which clubs/courses can adopt which would speed up play. eg 18th in Castleknock is a par 3 over water with reeds on the far side which made it hard to see the bank. It happened quite a lot that you might not be sure if your ball cleared the water or not. Up till about 3 years ago (when the finally adopted the model local rule) you would often see people playing provisional balls illegally. Really they should have walked around, looked for their ball and either played it if it was there, of trudge back to the tee/drop zone if it wasn’t. It made no sense, but it was the rules. Thankfully there is an option now for clubs to implement …… but they must officially adopt the local rule and specify where on the course it is in play.

oh and if you do actually find your ball in the penalty area after playing a provisional under model rule b3, you are entitled to play it if you want, or play the provisional.

so let me flesh out the castlekbock example above again. Let’s say you hit provisional and hole it for a potential 3 but then Find your first ball in play …. It’s tough, got to play the first ball and abandon the provisional. Now let’s say your first ball in the hazard but playable if you want to try…. You can abandon it if you like and call a 3, but if you are feeling lucky, you could play your second and try to hole out for a 2…. Ie, you get a choice

• Advertisement

I’ll come back to the above another day as I have a recent example to share, but for now my random golf post is that I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas cause I ordered new bats about 10 days ago and wondering if they will ever arrive

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I can relate. I ordered new clubs this year and was waiting by the phone every day waiting for the call from the club.

They arrived in at 4:30pm Thursday week ago and I had them out at 6pm that day in the competition. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Anybody recommend a good pro for lessons in the South Dublin / North Wicklow area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I went to Kevin Foy - https://www.kevinfoygolf.com/ - in Stepaside for 3 lesssons in Feb. I found him excellent, really clear and consise. Would recommend.

the ferrule on one of my irons has come loose.

Do I just glue this or does it need a more elaborate fix than this?

They are only 2 weeks old if it makes a difference.

Cheers. Got it looked at this morning.

Thankfully no sign of the head coming loose, just a poorly glued ferrule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Does anyone have experience of taking a playing lesson over a standard lesson hitting into a screen?

Considering taking this approach as I don't feel I have any fundamental swing issues or things to focus on, but rather need to improve my all round game and what shots to play to give me the best percentage chance of success whether that be choices off the tee or type of pitch, chip etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

I took one this year (only one for 2024). I found that I wasn't as bad with course management as I thought but could quickly improve that.

The pro gave me a few pointers on options for different situations. He also showed me that I was not accounting for yardages properly on approaches by choosing where to miss. Eg generally, the middle of the green is the rule but I wasn't picking short/long/left/right to leave easier up/downs or 2 putts when it was the best play.

He did a mini-lesson on short chips which had been kryptonite and this was the biggest takeaway. Also I was trying way to hard to draw the ball on drives and flipping hands. This meant a two way miss as the timing on the hands is difficult to manage. So he sent me almost completely the opposite way and to "feel" a fade while keeping the hands quiet. His point was that by sorting out chips/driver by keeping it a 1 style option removed headworms. Then you have the confidence to execute when needed and build your round steadily. As opposed to fearing a particular drive, dogleg, chip etc that's coming.

A short game lesson would have sorted chipping no doubt, likewise for one focusing on driver. However, the course management piece and covering chips/driver together probably had a bigger overall impact in a short space of time. Keep balls in play and safe while missing where you can get up/down easier - sounds simple right?

Tbf your mileage varies massively depending on what you're seeking and what applies to your game. I'll have separate short game, driver, irons lessons before the season is out. This is of obvious benefit to me right now. I wouldn't do another playing lesson until next year at least.

If you can afford one I think it's a no brainer tbh.

• Advertisement

I haven't had one but a guy I regularly play with had one last week and he raved about it during our last round, said it was excellent. He did play the best I've ever seen him play after it, so I guess it worked. Was considering going for one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Appreciate the feedback. I definitely feel it's a sensible option as I am happy I can swing the club but at times I think it's my decision making over what shots to play or where to miss etc that holds me back as opposed to execution

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I'm not disagreeing or saying you’re wrong, but this’s the rule as its written in the R&A handbook, it’s quite confusing to be fair, so i can understand how the situation could be misinterpreted

Stroke-and-Distance Relief, Ball Lost or Out of Bounds, Provisional Ball, 18.1

Relief under Penalty of Stroke and Distance Allowed at Any Time

At any time, a player may take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).

The player always has this stroke-and-distance relief option:

No matter where the player’s ball is on the course, and even when a Rule requires the player to take relief in a certain way or to play a ball from a certain place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is this more of a sequence thing then as such. Because under 17.1d(1) you can take stroke and distance relief from where you played the previous shot. So by hitting a provisional, was he not just speeding things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think the difference is that its not provisional, and cannot be for a ball in a hazard.

So by taking the "provisional" he has actually put a ball in play and taken a penalty drop.

So he can't take relief if he finds it in the hazard up close, and he can't even play on from his original ball if he finds it in play behind the hazard (is my understanding of the rules).

If you can make some claim that your ball is not in the hazard but potentially lost then you can play provo, but not for a ball lost in a hazard

Yea this is my interpretation too.

It can only be called a provisional if you're hitting your shot because you think your shot might be out of bounds or might be lost in the rough, bushes etc.

If the only possible place your ball can be lost is in a penalty area then it's not a provisional, you are taking a penalty shot. No option to go back and play your original ball even if you do find it (e.g. if it landed a foot short of the water you thought it went into, you still can't play it).

If there was a water hazard surrounded by long rough I guess you could claim your ball might be lost in the grass rather than the water (provided the rough is outside the stakes) and claim a provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think anyone is disputing the understanding of it. Just merely that the rule as you read it directly from the rule book can be quite confusing if you're not 100% sure.

The rule book states, that relief under Penalty of Stroke and Distance is Allowed at Any Time. So,
    at any time, a player may take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made.

So without knowing the full ins and out of the situation, the guy in question could have been simply implying the rule as its written here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How would you rate the scumminnes of the following:

Didn’t renew my golf membership this year and I’m playing in a classic soon (elsewhere)

Kinda tempted to say I’m a non-member and get given the default handicap for the classic for men then rather than telling them what my most recent handicap was

Is it just completely against the spirit of a classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

8/10. Just give them your last known HI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Advertisement