Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever met a non-Irish celebrity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I met William Roache who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street at a work do. He was surprised so many people knew who he was and said he didn’t realise Coronation Street was shown in Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I met Paolo Nutini around the time of the first Arthur's Day. He was doing some promo for it. I was a bit star struck which would not be usual for me but he was pretty sound and down to earth. Someone who you could imagine having a pint and a laugh with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At a big Microsoft product launch, and for about 30s. He was smiley and pleasant anyway. I knew not to ask for an autograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Met Stewart Copeland, Andy Summers and Sting of the Police at the side door of the Apollo in Glasgow after their gig in 1980 and met Hawkwind the band at the side door to the Glasgow Barrowlands in 1985, my mate handed Alan Davies the bassist a spliff which he autographed and handed back to my mate, my mate said you were meant to take a toke of it haha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭rainagain

Met most of the main cast from the film Human Traffic in a club in New York, they were out after the film premier. Chatted to three of them, but as we'd all been partying for a while at that stage, not sure what we talked about! All dead sound.

Spoke to Henry Rollins very briefly in the mid 90s when I was a teenager, he's an absolute gentleman. He also replied to my emails a few years ago.

Talked to Miles Hunt of the Wonder Stuff after a gig (years after Dizzy was number one!), and ended up going drinking with him and one of the guys from Republica and their friends. Good craic.

Noticed we were sitting beside Johnny Vegas in a pub, we asked could we disturb his reading of the newspaper to talk to him - he was really nice and chatty.

(I've also talked to Irish musicians and actors - I'd never ask for a photo or autograph, but I'll always go up to someone I like/admire unless they look really busy. None of them arseholes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭LimerickGray

I met Hulk Hogan about 25 years ago in a store in France.
    Nick Faldo.
    Willie Thorne

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Charlo30

Joe Elliott. Lead singer of Deaf Leppard. Meet him in pub in Dublin a few years ago. Very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Bill Clinton. When he visited Ireland as President. I was just a kid. But remember it well. There were hundreds of us there but he seemed to acknowledge me directly and single me out for a greeting. Everyone else there thought the same thing! It was some skill that he had!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wasn't he practically part of the set of The Lyrics Board?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Beatie Boys

Mix Master Mike

Roots Manuva

Raekwon

Ghostface

Qbert

Shortkut

Bentley Rhythm Ace

Most of Jurassic 5

Andrew WK

A-Trak

Skratch Bastid

Des'ree

Jerry Springer

The Skratch Perverts

Greg Norwood

Kid Koala

DJ Craze

Venetian Snares

Post edited by iamstop on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Beatie Boys

Mix Master Mike

Roots Manuva

Raekwon

Ghostface

Qbert

Shortkut

Bentley Rhythm Ace

Most of Jurassic 5

Andrew WK

A-Trak

Skratch Bastid

Des'ree

Jerry Springer

The Skratch Perverts

Greg Norwood

Kid Koala

DJ Craze

Who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭BK5

Met Mick Hucknall at a party years ago, was introduced to him and he was genuinely friendly and said that he had been in Dublin only a couple of weeks previous.

The Beatie Boys - NY Rappers

Mix Master Mike - DJ, Turntablist, also DJ for the Beastie Boys.

Roots Manuva - UK Rapper

Raekwon - Wu Tang Clan rapper

Ghostface - Wu Tang Clan rapper

Qbert - DJ, Turntablist, Invisibl Skratch Piklz

Shortkut - DJ, Turntablist, Invisibl Skratch Piklz

Bentley Rhythm Ace - British electronic dance Musicians

Most of Jurassic 5 - Rappers and 2 DJs

Andrew WK - Multi instrument rocker and singer

A-Trak - DJ, Youngest to wind the DMCs

Skratch Bastid - Canadian DJ, Turntablist

Des'ree - Singer, big in the 90s

Jerry Springer - JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! etc..

The Skratch Perverts - UK DJ, Turntablist duo

Greg Norwood - Chicago House DJ

Kid Koala - Canadian DJ, provded skratches for Deltron 3030

DJ Craze - DJ, Turntablist

Venetian Snares - Electronic Musician from Winnipeg

Jenny Jones - TV Talkshow host

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Met George Takei, lovely block.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He was a regular panelist on the RTE music quiz Number One in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Val Kilmer ( complete bastard)

Ok Ted

Post edited by gym_imposter on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

60s folk singer Donovan.

He of "Catch the wind" and "Mellow yellow" fame.

He lives in Ireland for years so I'm not sure if it counts.

Very nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

What was Roderick Manuva like? Seems a good guy, Wagwan

• Advertisement

I'll add

Giles Peterson - UK DJ, producer, label owner and festival curator.

Lefto - Belgian DJ

Nickodemus - DJ, Producer from NYC

Dayme - Cuban singer

And coincidently I saw Snoop Dogg walking out of a hotel yesterday eve.

Yeah, met him twice actually. He's pretty laid back. I have vague recollections of him not really wanting to finish his Chinese take away, so I helped him out with it. Lol. That was at the Temple Bar Music Center when it was called that.

I also asked him what Dusted (The track he did with Leftfield) was all about and he laughed and basically said that Leftfield changed it all up and basically rendered it meaningless. I'm not sure I fully believe that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Haha, thats class, definitely sounds like an interesting fella just like his music, I see he's had a few health issues recently hopefully comes through it. I'd love to see him down the line at a gig

Don't know how I forgot Tom Morello. Just met him a few months ago. He signed my Koozie™ at my request and then signed my Rage Against The Machine T-Shirt at his request. I still need to get that framed. Sound bloke and very smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

James Hetfield - Sound but quiet

Lars Ulrich - Very talkative, interviewed him for Kerrang back in 99

Jason Newsted - Fantastic guy, has so much for fans

Ozzy - Didnt know what day of the week it was both times i met him back in late 90's

Sharron Osbourne - Spot on, had sneaked backstage at the Sabbath Reunion in 97 at The NEC, She figured out what we'd done and thought it hilarious, even telling security to fcuk off when they started walking towards us

Henry Rollins - Probably one of the nicest guys i've met, real interest in what i was saying, told him i was from a small north wales town called Llandudno, said he knew it as he'd played a gig wit Black Flag on Colwyn Bay pier some 10/15yrs previously, described the venue down to a tee

Phil Anselmo - Off his tits after headlining Dynamo in 98, i was over there with a band so had AAA, We went to watch Saxon after Pantera set. Met him a few weeks later at Ozzfest and he wasnt as hammered but actually fcukin remembered the Saxon gig from Dynamo, how i dont know

Lemmy - Total gent, met him quite a few times over the years as he lived in Llandudno/Colwyn Bay for a time, was crewing for a band at a festival at RDS which motorhead headlined, my mate back in the bays birthday so i took a card and asked him to sign it, he wrote…To Dave from Colwyn Bay, from LEMMY, from Colwyn fcukin bay :-)

Slipknot - On their first UK tour, sound guys but fuckin nuts at that time

Brian May - Nice guy, very talkative, excused my mate asking me when i was to him "Who's he?"

Rammstein - Met Til and Richard when they headlined Dynamo in 98, had no idea who they were, was just having a beer and they were standing next to me so got talking, very offish as seemed like they didnt wanna/couldnt speak English

Iron Maiden - Won a BBC Radio 1 comp to play paintball with them and Thunder back in 91, only Bruce and Jan turned up, Jan was spot on, Bruce was a twat. Management arranged a pass for a later gig when Blaze was with them to make up for only 2 turning up at the paintball, Steve, Dave & Nicko were gents, went onstage with them to sing chorus to Heaven Can Wait with Slaven Bilic and a few others

So many others but they're the main ones i guess

I think paintball with Bruce wins the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In top pic I'm the one in the Monsters of Rock t shirt, guy to my right is Merck Mercuriadis, ex Guns n Roses manager.

Bottom is me wit Jan and Danny from Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It certainly wins oddest competition prize of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

Michael Eavis

Vito (sopranos)

Anna Friel

Jordan /Katie Price

Puff Daddy

Mr C ( The Shamen)

Richard E Grant

Tom Misch

Bez

Rocky Boxer Carl Weathers

Joe Elliot & Def Leppard

Fatboy Slim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Can we hear more about the nasty/difficult ones?

Advertisement