Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

No I have never owned an explorer 2 but that doesn’t mean that I can’t say that it is one of the lesser desirable watches from the range. And being happy with Watch after purchase is not really relevant. You could be happier if you had it for a grand less….

On the omega 30% off from retail seems to be the right ballpark however yours is on rubber only (I think) so tougher sell. 

It is all enthusiasts here and we are price sensitive in general and very aware of forces at the moment are down and have been for some time. You are taking the price criticism personally. 

Good look with the sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893Bet is not the poster you want to play Watch Top Trumps with, I would not go down that road at all, suffice to say he speaks with some knowledge of the market for high-end watches.

Retail on an Explorer is optimistic, is it totally unrealistic? I dont know, depends on if there is one buyer out there with the dosh and urgency to get one. On balance, they sell under retail. A watch that has left the AD is second-hand, the condition is great yes, but its still a used watch and you are competing with all the other used watches out there. All watches can be rendered unworn condition with minimal effort.

Pick your price, advertise it as such and wait. If you are not getting nibbles after a certain period of time consider changing the price or waiting longer. Consider what other watch your prospective buyer could buy with that money….sub, datejust, milgauss, maybe even a older black GMT… that is your competition, and that what your buyer will move onto if they feel your watch is overpriced…its not that people are broke and cannot afford it, its that they dont see the value proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are taking this all too personally. You started off with the explorer 2 black dial at well over 11k if you recall, those days are over. It's only a recent phenomenon that exp 2 traded over retail anyway and those days are over now. If you want to try and get retail or above that's your perogative but don't be surprised if they don't shift.

And if it makes my opinion any more or less valid to you I've owned most of the current rolex sports line up at one stage or another over the past decade so have bought and sold them all at different times over that period.

I agree with you that the exp 2 is a very nice watch, in my opinion the black is actually nicer than the white albeit white is generally seen as more desirable.

You'll get lots of good advice on the forum here but people are well Informed on buying and selling so if youve just joined for that you'll get direct feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

i guess there's a general suspicion when someone who hasnt posted on the forum before about watches and has very few boards posts in general joins and their first post is I'm selling 10k plus watches. tz forums have a rule where you can't even see their sales forum until you clock up a number of posts and when you can you still can't sell… you can just view for another number of posts.. its a pain but does mean you have to poke around and post and have a chat with people before its straight down to buying and selling. pretty much everyone here has got a bit tetchy at some point over something apart from maybe wibbs (weirdo) but that's just the nature of it. No saints here. I would have thought if the OP joined and said hey lads hows it going.. ive a number of watches… posted some details and then said btw I'm thinking of selling some soon that it might have been a 'softer' landing.. the reaction doesn't mean we are all watch racists like Fr Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've not owned a Rolex as of yet, let alone an Explorer II but the black dial was for a long while the only Rolex I really had any interest in. It is one of the models that COVID watch mania had an outsize effect on IMHO.

Its a steel sports Rolex that prior to 2020ish traded under retail, the madness kicked in and it, like every other Rolex & most other Luxury brands were lifted on the rising tide.

Now all that said, Watch_Fan owns 1, it's his prerogative to set whatever asking he likes. The advice offered by some that it's optimistic? I agree, but I can also see why Watch_Fan feels a little piled upon.

The beautiful thing about asking prices though? Is that however hopeful or optimistic 1 is? The market and offers received will quickly disabuse someone if their pricing is off.

On a different but related subject. Some nice pieces popping up here recently. Similarly on many of the other watch fora, the selling sections are filling up with beautiful watches, that are either sitting far longer than previously, or getting fairly quick price drops. That's from FB groups, to TZ and Omegaforums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

of course they feel piled upon, the person listed a watch that some deem expensive as other have done in the past but in my opinion it’s best to keep scrolling unless the person asks for advice on pricing and even then isn’t it frowned upon to value watches on boards 🤷‍♂️

The internet isn’t for everyone

yeah for sure things are taking longer to sell. Stuff thats priced keenly still seems to shift though. I think its a good time to be a buyer if you have funds as there's definite savings over prices 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Watch_Fan

With all due respect the rolex explorer was not my first post and this particular forum is called “Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces”.

I initially felt 11k was a good price, took the advice given here checked the market and now feel retail price is a fair price. I have scrolled past numerous watches here I've felt are too expensive. I'd prefer to sell here as I know people are into watches not the into speculation of the prices of watches. I went a bit OTT over the past couple of years, now time to sell a couple for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The lads here know a lot about watches but ultimately they are just some lads you'll never meet in person on some internet board. I'd price accordingly to what I feel is appropriate after doing my own research (erm google search whatever). You always have to have a bit of fat on adverts anyway 'cos nothing ever will go for asking there. If someone has a problem with that so be it (no disrespect to the someone btw). If they're right you gonna know soon enough when there is no interest. Unless you're in a hurry to sell who cares?

Have the prior version 'Polar' Explorer II myself and it's a cracking watch. Def'ny wouldnt sell that one, you'll regret it later.

Just for reference there's a white seamaster boxed 300m with cards on rubber strap for 2950 pounds on tz forums. About 3500 in euros.. 4800 seems optimistic but who knows

• Advertisement

not everyone has access to tz forums don’t forget

And then there is the VAT issue that not everyone may be able to circumvent negotiate, thats another €800 potentially

If you go for that watch on chrono24 (2023, white, EU) it starts around 4.6k, so yes 4.8k is optimistic, but if you allow for a little negotiation (maybe 8-10%) its not outrageous?

There's a couple of Dornblüth and a Sinn EZM2 an Omega PO, a Montblanc monopusher Chrono and a few other pieces over on the sales corner there that are really testing my resolve at the mo🫤

I've made a promise to myself that I'm not buying until 1. I sort out an Omega piepan for the younglad's 21st, and 2. I need to slim down the current crop and go back to 1 out, 1 in.

at least someone can meet the buy and inspect the watch etc for €4800 and maybe some haggle room, it’s best to be optimistic rather than under price it 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

€4800 makes mine look cheap at €3600, just sayin 😂

Add some photos as it’s the topic of the day it might help shift it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Watch_Fan

I will sell that watch for 4.6k for anyone here.

Wait, people well say to that you'll have to subtract the c24 commission. 😂

Or maybe not cos you'll have the advantage of being local (inspection) and no shipping cost. Tricky business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I know, just throwing the cat so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

oh oh..

Not a nice path to be heading down tbh..

We have all bought and sold thousands on watches, some have watches worth 2 or 3 times the price of an explorer.

Personally don’t like Rolex..so I ain’t bothered. But we always say buy the seller..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

2020 model, full set. Excellent condition. €3600 is what I was hoping to get.

I haven’t posted it outside of here, hoping for a hassle free sale to a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Right bit the bullet and ordered a King Samurai Manta Ray on Silicone strap so I'm putting my SRPF01K1 Blue Dialled Samurai up for sale. Offering it with the Crafter Blue Strap(worth €70) for €350 as I want to hold onto the bracelet. I may reconsider that depending on interest but would be looking for more. Bracelet is €105 if I need to source another.

Case and crystal is 100%, few little scratches on edge of bezel between 25 and 37. Bigger mark at 30 and 37. Not noticeable without close examination and I'd say a polishing cloth would take most of them out. Can't see any marks on bezel insert. It dates from 2020 hasn't seen that much wear really as I rotate a lot.

Have box, hang tags etc. Just need to dig it out.

Midlands based but I do be in Dublin fairly often.

Post edited by Ryath on

that Mont Blanc is stunning.

Am over in the UK soon and was tempted to bring it back

I was really going back & forth over it. Whoever bought It for a huge amount of watch for the money IMO.

It was featured over on talking timepieces a couple of weeks ago and it was quite decent.

Its got a gorgeous dial, it's a GMT (which I always enjoy) it's quirky release that really has some serious horological chops IMO.

I need to sell before I can buy, and I don't fancy selling into this market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi folks,

I'm contemplating selling my planet ocean and was wondering about price..had a look at chrono24 and prices seem quite strong?

Cheers,

Mick

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/skyfall--imod2972.htm

Actually that's a 007 special edition.. mines 232.30.42.21.01.001 probably about 3500 to 3800 realistically for boxed with cards set

• Advertisement

can I ask where you got the Manta Ray? Was looking at the Samurai but not sure how it compare to the Turtle, but I prefer those hands

Advertisement