Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There is other way which can explain it. You are the lucky one who does have a natural immunity. My wife is the same. She just could not get it even though she went around many people who had it me and kids included.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you think that none of them had any shots, or as may as you? Doesn't seem likely given the take-up rate overall.

There is a huge amount we still don't know about why some people who are exposed to this virus (and others, eg influenza, cold) get sick, and some don't. Ventilation probably plays a part. But there's way more to it, and huge amounts we cannot explain.

Encouraging healthy people, who aren't at major risk of the disease, to take a preventative that's had less than two years of testing doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's impossible to know your own vunerability.

Perfectly healthy people died of strokes early on after catching COVID with no indication of their vunerability to strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Thankfully never got the vaccine myself so no regret or shame. Have had covid 3 times now that i know of but for me anyway was no different than a bad cold. I have as much respect for anyone who got it as i do does who didn't. It's your body your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only had the first two. Never bothered with boosters. Don't really regret it or feel shame. Disgust I still feel to this day however.

My eyes were opened to how quick and easy it is for the general populace to be manipulated into a frenzied authoritarian rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not sure people would readily accept a vaccine if another virus emerged. I think many healthy folks would take their chances with natural infection.

I am always puzzled why so many healthcare workers refuse the Flu and now Covid vaccines.

What is the latest with the Covid boosters? What age bracket are encouraged to take it? Over 55?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

my mate never wears his seatbelt and he is fine, people are duped into using hem.

Same for house insurance, I've never used it, total waste of time. Just fear mongering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got the multi-shot vaccine when it came out, and got covid at easter 2022, it was like a head cold.

didn't get the vaccine again, but got covid again over a year later - this time like a bad flu, and i'm still dealing with lingering effects 10 months later. i wish i'd had the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine was withdrawn globally after the company admitted it could cause adverse side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gneel

edit. It's 2024. Life's too short to be arguing about covid on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW astra zeneca did not state is was withdrawn due to side effects, they stated it was for commercial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It reminds me a bit of the Y2K bug.

A massive issue was identified, precautions were taken to the tune of millions to update computer systems. The millennium rolled around and nothing happened. Everything kept ticking on.

'oh that was a scam, nothing happened, why did you spend all that money?'

Perhaps the spending the money to update the systems prevented the issue from happening.

A crisis was averted to a large degree by the actions taken during the Covid pandemic.

Like Y2K - if you don't fix the issue, potential global catastrophe.

If you do fix the issue, people then don't believe it was an issue to begin with.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

Firstly they told us we wouldn’t get Covid if we took the Vaccine , that was proved to be a load of rubbish.

Then they said that we wouldn’t get Covid “as bad” if we got the Covid , something the is completely unprovable.

Now some Doctors instead of using the term Long Covid are using the term Long Vaccine.

Yes, I am ashamed !!! Probably be branded a looney , no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

Ashamed? Nope..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It was not claimed that the vaccines prevent transmission.

How could they anyways, think about it.

If you have taken the vaccine, and are standing on a train or bus, how can the vaccine prevent the transmission of the virus from a person standing near you towards your face?

No vaccine can stop that.

What was claimed was that the vaccine reduces illness once you were infected.

It can't stop you getting infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

No of course not!

Look at what has come out of this, MRNA Cancer vaccines and more being developed! 3 week turn around, amazing.

I'd be fairly convinced that the Anti Vaxxers would be first in the queue for a cure for the big C. And I wouldn't blame them to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's two layers to your immune system.

Your immediate antibodies and then your deeper 'memory' layer.

After being sick or vaccinated, you have a store of immediate antibodies which repel infection. That was what the trials showed for the vaccines in the time frame studied versus the Alpha variant. If you're not infected, you aren't going to re-transmit it.

These wane, the virus evolves into a new variant, and can slip past that first line of defence.

That's where your 'memory' layer kicks in, takes time to get going but fights off serious infection. This is more durable and less 'fussy' as it targets eg things like Spike protein which change less.

Covid vaccines in study after study have shown up this durable secondary protection significantly reduces your chances of severe infection\ death and this was seen in hospitals in Ireland and elsewhere with the predominance of unvaccinated covid patients.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like another one spending a bit too much time on the Facebook groups soaking up all that paranoid madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

Got a booster shot in April. I'll get another booster if its recommended.

I tend not to listen to anti-vaxxers / flat earth types who seem to get their "knowledge" from fakebook or jimmy in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

Oh boy. You really don't understand even the basics of what a vaccine is.

I sincerely hope you don't have kids and then refuse to have MMR or HPV vaccines for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There are plenty of other ways to explain it. People's memory's are short.

Right from the start one of the more puzzling aspects of covid was how different people were affected differently and how some people - the vast majority even - were complete unaffected by it. Like husband kids had it several times, widf not a beep. There were countless reports of this sort of thing. Do you really not remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

Didn't Matt Le Tissier Boards.ie !.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

at the very least, a lot less people will be taking whatever sparkling-new ‘hot off the shelf’ pharmaceutical product is targeted at us next time around. the people I know that didn’t take the shot had negligible symptoms from Covid while a few that took the shot had reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Professionals who dared to speak up were cancelled and axed from their jobs. More the exception here in Ireland but it did happen. What was the name of that senior midlands health official again who was forced to resign after speaking up? He was called everything under the sun by media and public and had to retire early.

It didnt happen en masse but he wasnt the only one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No.

Why would I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Macho Man

Quite astonishing how the op made absolutely no reference to social media sites and conspiracy theories yet is almost immediately labelled as such and a fair amount of vitriol aimed at him, shameful actually.

Ask a simple question and the hysteria kicks off, just like 2020 all over again. Seems Dr. Mattias Desmet was right all along 🙄

Advertisement