Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The fans are what really matter to the GAA, without them there is no money, and money is what the GAA want.

Do you think all the current players will quit gaelic football over a few rules changes? and take up Rugby or soccer instead? will they hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A few rule changes. There are probably 200 rule changes dreamt up on this thread. To go with the dozens of genius plans to reorganise the competitions. Will they accept having nonsense ideas imposed on them? Will they hell.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/inter-county-players-reject-handpass-proposal/37534306.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You think that armchair "fans" like yourself are more important than the players. Ha ha. Please, please drop the mask now, and admit that you are just trolling. Cause if you aren't, you need to have a serious chat with yourself.

You said in a previous post that you will have to agree to disagree with another poster. I would be amazed if anyone agrees with your ridiculous statement. I have gone to a fair few intercounty matches since the beginning of the year. Maybe 15? But that is nothing in comparison to what all of the players have contributed in the past 5 months or so. All the time training. All the sacrifices. I'm paying a few bob to go to the matches. But I am the one getting great entertainment for my money. Just out of curiousity, in terms of the entertainment industry - who do you think is more important - the artists making music, or the fans getting the enjoyment; or actors/directors making movies, or the audience sitting on their ar$es watching the movies?

You really have no idea.

As I said in 10 years time, the 25 year old now will be 35 and his playing career over, that is different to musicians as most of them can play to audiences until they die.

You are putting the players on a pedestal, no one will care about them when they retire. The game is more important that the current players opinions.

I played the game for 20 years, so I am entitled to my opinion on the game as is anyone who is willing to fork out money to watch games. But as I said I wont attend any games until it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It will have to "improve" a lot to satisfy someone who think it is muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Of course I put the players on a pedestal. They are the ones providing the entertainment. We (i.e. the supporters) are the ones who get to lap it up.

Of course you get to voice your opinion. I'm just saying that I would be amazed if anyone would agree with your opinion that the fans are more important to the game than the players. And if only one individual has an opinion that is the opposite to many other opinions, I think it's fair to say that opinion can be discarded in the majority of situations.

On your last sentence, I'm delighted that you won't be attending games. I think that the atmosphere at games is usually worsened by the negativity brought by the likes of yourself and Bendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Total bulldust….. without spectators it’s pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭megadodge

So tell me then, oh great thinker, if there were no players what exactly would the spectators have to watch?

It’s good to see the GAA management are progressive and prepared to tackle the issues with Gaelic Football, which obviously needs attention.

More and more commentators commenting on the poor product current Gaelic football is.

Peter Canavan today commenting on the lack of inter county players able to take a 30 m shot at goal in case they missed.

Blamed the clipboard merchants and the stats gimps who would criticise the player later.

Seems like there are these designated 'shooters' now and everyone is afraid to have a shot hence the endless hand and foot passing to try to set up a 13 m shot from the middle of the goalposts.

Sooner the better Jim and the lads come up with a scheme to clear these lads off the backroom teams

• Advertisement

This weekends four games will tell us a lot about the state of Gaelic football and how its played.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have lot competition but this QF must be worst game I have ever seen at Croker. Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I had the All Ireland Minor Final and the Dublin Galway game both on simultaneously on my PC.

I switched over and back a bit during a break in play. Lads, the difference between the two sports right now could not have been starker. Croke Park, and the game seemed absolutely dead in comparison to the speed and excitement in the hurling match. It felt like every time I switched over to the football the ball was within 10 yards of the 45 with players running screen moves around it. And the crowd sounded like they had just been told over tannoy that Micheal O'Mhuircheartaigh had died.

I'm not here to sh*t on football directly, I've been living outside of Ireland the last few years and didn't watch much GAA over that time and as I watch more of it again, I've actually enjoyed the fact that there's less scores from frees than what I used to remember. Ok, I don't like the handpass count as many others don't, but still, I thought the Ulster final was very entertaining for example. But when a do or die game involving the All Ireland Champions (who lost) is incomparable to the entertainment of a game of hurling played by 17 year olds, its hard to feel positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

First half between Roscommon and Armagh was dire yes but the second half was much better to be fair. Twice as good going by scoring anyway!

Dublin Galway was a cracker. I missed the hurling which was a great game seemingly but I'd probably have watched the football anyway even if I had access to both given Dublin were on the ropes.

In all honesty there is 1 football quarter final that can be a bit of a slog every year.

But save for Austria Holland I'd take the football over the Euros this past week.

If anyone is still in doubt that the way Gaelic Football is currently being played needs ‘attention’ I think this weekends borefest proves it.

Possible exception is the final quarter of Galway - Dublin.

At least the commentators had the stones to call this rubbish out in the Derry Kerry ‘game.

Jim has a big job b to clear the stats merchants out of the game and let the players play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seems weird for him to complain about it because he is all about having analysts for teams he’s involved with

I wouldnt be happy if I paid good money to go to that Kerry V Derry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That match was diabolical. The game needs a 'take down' tackle like the Compromise rules had. The tactics are so poor ..it looks what it is ..an amateur game. Hurling looks like it could be a pro game . Listen I'm biased but I think the crowds are starting to vote with their feet this season. Terrible crowd today.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Treble double

I reckon the hurling quarter finals were worse no competitivenes what so ever a damp squib, complain about football all you want but hurling has far more problems to be worrying itself about.

Absolutely….I have faith that Jim Gavin will rescue our game from the clipboard merchants.

Might take a while but when the commentator can speak in his normal voice the whole game kind of tells you everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It has gotten to the stage I’d rather watch James Cordon interview Joe Brolly for 5 hours over watching a football match. It’s in serious trouble. It’s just dour, stats driven shïte for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

one thing that may have to be looked at is a second referee. The speed of the game nowadays, the number of players/teams and their overeager engagement and proficiency with the darker arts. It’s been noticeable.

Referees are struggling…they are a bigger talking point now than in years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3 matches that were dreadful and a Galway v Dublin game that really only got going in last quarter.

How anyone with straight face can say football is fine is beyond me unless you find it hard sleep cause those games would make you snooze.

My dad wants us to go watch a football semi final but I cant face it, the best part of going to a game these days is the few pints before the game, sad to say but I think it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Have to agree with Brendan in this case. The Kerry Derry match was the worst, most boring, soul breaking seventy minutes of football I’ve ever watched and I’ve been watching / playing football ( badly) for the past fifty years. Watched it in the local GAA club with no connection to the counties playing and the general feeling was one of total boredom. At one point someone called out to change the channel to “ love island “ as it might be more exciting .
    What have the ruling authorities within the GAA allowed our once great game to become. Nobody wants to go back to the “ catch and kick “ agricultural version of football that once existed but somehow there must exist an entertaining competitive alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Derry and Kerry was competitive because the score was tight for the most of it, but worse than any hurling match Ive seen. The sport needs to be entertaining regardless of the score line and too often its not. Looking for scapegoats like poor matches in other sports is diverting from the truth of matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

this is the first year in about 20 years I havent gone to watch game live, I cant be arsed anymore.

The cost and the spectacle, or lack thereof, as a combination is just enough to nudge me over the edge of not bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Treble double

Poor spectacle today alright but I still love the game and wouldn't miss a knockout game, really looking forward to the remaining 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as blame is put on both who play a bad game. Often the Ulster teams are blamed for boring games, but Kerry need criticism today too.

I'm not a GAA fan , more soccer. But gaelic fans used to slag soccer for being boring and tactic driven. Gaelic football has surpassed it now with tactics, defensive formations and stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We aren't we sending a handball team to the Olympics? Lol

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement