Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Why would I be offended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Presumably TNT had first dibs. Not really a standout second fixture there tbf.

Blame the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The likely United lineup for that first game will be.....

Onana

Frimpong Branthwaite Guehi Ait-Nouri

Guimares Zubimendi

Olisse Simons Garnacho

David

That's if you believe all the transfer rumours. There's lots more, I'm just picking out the most prevalent ones. No goalkeeper rumours and team will be built around Garnacho are popular ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some small anomalies that I've seen from the overall fixtures over the season.

West Ham don't play a game outside of London until November.

Wolves having a horrific start to the season in terms of difficulty.

Man Utd 8th season in a row of playing their first game at home.

Liverpool play Man City & Newcastle back to back twice with both Newcastle games being midweek (that applies to all fixtures in those GWs being duplicates).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

From the start of the season until the end of October, Wolves have an awful fixture list. They could be under pressure this year depending on how they get through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Premier league must be trolling Liverpool at this stage with a 12.30 kick off to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think you are playing Frimpong out of position there, and totally exposing them down their right hand side. You have also dropped one Bruno for another and that might not go down well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Looking at the run ins for what its worth Citys is absolutely p*ss easy.

Pools is really hard.

Arsenals is pretty easy with exception of Anfield on 3rd last game of season.

If anyone wants to challenge City they will need a lead going into April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

West Ham do not play a league game outside of London until November that is another oddity of the super computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

They always pick their biggest game on a Sunday if they can it seems.
    Utd got picked for Fri night opener. Pool was picked by TNT.

Only game they could have gone for is Arsenal vs Wolves maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Plus, you have to show every team a minimum number of times. So you will always see less desirable (for the neutral) on TV in the first half of the season so the TV companies can load up on the 'big teams' in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And is West Ham v Villa that terrible a pick? I'd have more issue with Brentford v Palace Sunday 2pm as a pick, though as Mitch said you have to fill quotas and ultimately it's a lead-in to a big 6 head to head at 4.30.

West Ham v Villa seems fine, a Champions League team away to a well-supported and likely mid-table London club who have a new manager.

This is how Opta see the first 5 games - apparently Liverpool have the easiest start, and Thomas Frank will be out of a job mid-September! He's doing media stuff for the Euros so he'll get another job in football anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

https://twitter.com/migueldelaney/status/1803117136019091564?s=46

Surely will disincentivise clubs from buying African players at the usual big hitters in the AFCON?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think those minimums may have changed too with all Sunday games now available to watch in the UK and Ireland for the first time.

I was joking, just giving an example of how ridiculous the media is. There are three strikers coming to United David, Toney and Zirkzee.

About twenty midfielders and I think it's only ten defenders at the minute.

There's an article about Bruno Fernandez leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The new deal including Sunday games (for the Europa/Conference teams playing Thursday) only kicks in during the 25/26 season. This upcoming season is ran under the same set of packages, quotas etc as that for the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently the Douglas Luiz deal is complicated not only by McKennie wage demands but also that Luiz wants the Juve Ladies to sign Alisha Lehmann from Villa.

I was shocked to hear Luiz wanted to move. He's loved by the Villa fans, they are in the Champions league and I'd imagine it's not a money thing.

From Villa's perspective I'd want more than McKennie. I'd value Douglas Luiz in the £80-£100 million range. McKennie is only worth about half that at most. Illing junior is worth sfa.

I think the two Americans, Weah being the other, would be a fair deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's a money thing, Villa need cash in the bank by the 30th to stay on the right side of FFP.

Yes, you can also include the value of players in a player swap to your FFP calculations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Think the fee was mentioned as 20 mill plus McKinnie and the other player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

McKennie is currently listed as having a 28m euro market value on transfermarkt

Samuel Iling-Jr is listed at 13m - So a combined 41m plus 20m in cash

I'd say Villa fans would probably have hoped for more than a 61m valuation but given the PSR concerns / deadline (even if you don't agree with those valuations they can be used for the FFP calculations) and the fact that Luiz has 2 years left on his deal now so unless he was to sign a new deal now his sale value will only go down it is not terrible. Added to that Man City have a sell on clause so having these players included in the deal makes sense in terms of not giving City too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Man City’s sell on would based on the 61m (the fee for Luiz) not the 20m.

I'd find it hard to believe that City would have a sell-on clause that's still active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Villa just sneaking it in there while the lawyers are tied up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

City had a buyback clause for Luiz that expired after 2 years, but it seems they may retain a 20% sell-on clause. (Although I haven't seen anything that confirms it one way or the other). Clubs inflating gross values in swap deals helps FFP type rules in the short-term but the downside is sell on clauses, agents fees and registration fees are usually based on a percentage of the gross values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Leicester appoint Copper as manager, after Potter stalled/discussions broke down. You'd wonder what Potter is at, he's out of a job well over a year now, the longer it goes on the lower his stock goes. Maybe hes just happy with the money that a chelsea sacking brought, and isnt too bothered about managing for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Could be waiting on the England job, but also figure if EtH blows up during the season, which is possible, he'd be high on the list of 'available right now' managers that Ashworth might call (if he is ever employed by United)

Isn't he still on gardening leave? It'd take a lot of money to get him away from that.

I remember hearing he's high on the list for the England job too. Southgate is expected to leave after the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can't see many Leicester fans being too pleased with this Cooper appointment. They're a big step up from Forest imo. I wish him well but I think he'll be gone by Christmas. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think Cooper is an excellent coach. He wasn't responsible for the sh1t show at Forest, and still kept them up, would have kept them up if he was kept on too.

No frills, pro ably not sexy or media friendly, but a good coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I don't think Forest fans will never forget what Copper done for us, and he was almost idolised at the city ground, building a Close team and family bond, with the players, fans and the city itself.

You will see this with the reception he gets next year at the City Ground, despite joining one of Forest's fiercest rivals (Wait …I think they 37th on Forest's list, but we are first on theirs🤣)

I also suspect Leister are planning for a heavy points deduction and Cooper loves this type of scenario, taking Forest from Bottom to promotion in the championship. Also, Cooper can stay even if relegated(Due to points deducted), whereas Potter would be straight off again.

But I do think it was time for Cooper to move on at City Ground, something I feel not fully right behind the scenes… fell out with the club captain, and I don't think he got the same Family bond with the new players bought in (All 135 off them), I think that only works so far TBH….and after a certain time it gets too much and the players get boarded of it.

Post edited by ForestFire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Everton are looking for £70m for Branthwaite, I know Fofana went for similar, but that was Chelsea and Chelsea are mad. £70m for a centre back who plays in a deep lying team that offer him loads of protection in a defensively minded team….just seems nuts. You’d wonder how much it would take now to buy someone like Ruben Dias, VVD at 26, Saliba, etc.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Everton are looking for 70m, they won't get that. I'd see it more as a John Stones sold from...checks notes...Everton in 2016 for 50m. In fact, with inflation of fees into account 70m would probably represent better value than that.

If it does happen it will be in the 50-60 mark which seems right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

70 million for a centre back who plays in a deep lying team that offers him loads of protection in a defensively minded team.… Harry Maguire says hello.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Poor oul Harry didnt get much protection the last couple of years..

maybe, but it’s just gone nuts! Villa looking for £40m (Duran) for a man that started a handful, if even, PL games. Is it any wonder there’s teams failing the P&S rules?

• Advertisement

Villa also signing Ian Maatsen from Chelsea for £37.5m unless they are just doing a swap deal but I haven't seen it mentioned

Manchester United have to pay the Manchester United tax, and there isn't much they can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think there is, but it just means saying 'no' when the number gets too high, and accepting moving onto the next target. As it is, over time they've kind of cultivated an impression that if the seller holds out, United will eventually pay the asking price no matter how high.

They can just walk away in fairness. City don't even have a tax.

they paid something like £25m for Akanji, one of the few bargains they acquired.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement