Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Environmentally friendly by what measure? What's their lifetime carbon footprint, including manufacturing and disposal compared to a smaller car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Dublin is the driest part of Ireland

Sure most parts of Dublin are populated. What's your point? That people are using the buses?

We need to rewild barren hillsides stripped bare by sheep (sheep are almost worthless btw)

We also need to urgently get more farmers growing fruit and veg for food security

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lots of SUVs are extremely environmentally friendly vehicles. Some are our most environmentally friendly vehicles…

The obsession some have with SUVs is odd.

Lots are hybrid.

The Mazda Max-30 is an SUV, it’s one of the most environmentally friendly vehicles on our roads.

Hyundai Tucson, same, award winning hybrid….Toyota Rav… big vehicles but environmentally sound,

Kia Nero, Kia Sportage….. same, list is quite long.

Ah come on, let's not be fooling ourselves. No vehicle is environmentally friendly never mind "extremely environmentally friendly" 🙄

Their production of modern cars is quite environmentally damaging. This is well documented.

As for choosing where to live ? People live where they can afford to.

Because of policies enabled by, backed and endorsed by Ryan and others, housing is harder to attain and more expensive. It’s now simply €€€€€€€ people can’t pick and choose.

The obsession some have for their own one off house is not sustainable and adds additional costs on our local authorities and service providers. We shouldn't be permitting one off housing in the numbers that we currently do.

That said, I believe that house completion numbers are way up and only for the Russian invasion of Ukraine, way more houses would be available (although it is good that were helping people from a country at war).

In addition, our planning system should be societal led rather than developer led. For decades, we've encouraged urban sprawl which has left people now having to drive long distances to their workplace. Our planning system should encourage communities which can be easily and quickly serviced by public transport rather than encouraging most people in rural Ireland to have to drive everywhere because public transport simply isn't an option.

But this is nothing new and isn't down to Ryan. This is the electorate voting in parties that are more than happy to encourage the unsustainable approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's not caused by the green party but it's championed by them.

You might find you have a bus stop or train station 30 minutes away that's served once a day and they think this is how you should get around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭rock22

@Strumms "considering it will be starting it’s route several kilometres away and originating and transiting through majorly populated areas "

What a terrible idea, running bus through major population areas.

Up to recently, three years ago, we had a very bad rural bus service with only occasional buses and which ended at about 7pm. We now have a service which runs at almost hourly intervals and runs until 11pm. Those changes make taking the bus a much more viable option for people and has been a real benefit for the local population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

She's in the Soc Dems but you're right the abuse politicians endure is appalling.

The problem is many politicians from all parties critique it yet many of the people online are party activists.

I also think sites like Boards have problems in this area too, posters here can and do say what they like about politicians here and use abhorrent language in the process and the mods just ignore it because it's not against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

Is the production solar panels or wind turbines environmentally friendly ? . I've worked on Windfarms and I can confirm that 800m3 of concrete goes into each base plus 300 tonne of steel. You'd be a long time driving an SUV before you burn that much Carbon thats used up in concrete and steel prodicuzoijp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Electric SUVs are not the solution to climate change and saving the planet. EVs are trying to save the motor industry, not the planet.

Public transport would help save the planet, but not travelling by air would also help. Insulating houses is more important because we use a lot of energy just to keep warm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't say they were.

Windfarms in Ireland have traditionally been very damaging given their frequent location on raised bogs - not only the turbine foundation but also the access roads frequently cause massive damage.

There is an old phrase that nothing man-made is perfect! Keeping this idiom in mind when considering methods to reduce our effect on the planet should be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

O'Gorman bidding for leadership, hilarious if there's one person who has worse PR than Ryan, this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DaSchmo

Actually quite surprising ROG has announced this - his first move at the faintest whiff of trouble is to go to ground, not a peep out of him after any of his many mishaps. Well he did one interview in the RDS after the referendum. That's hardly party leader material is it? Where you're in the spotlight constantly. No need to pass much comment on the well known trail of destruction he has left behind him in his portfolio too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

And this is what happens when governments and environmentalist organisations have the arrogance to say what is and isn't "normal". Anyone who has the gall to claim that there is a "normal" is a charlatan and likely hasn't even a basic understanding of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Will O'Gorman even retain his seat in Dublin West next time he got in by the skin of his teeth in 2020?

Maybe a 2nd FF candidate running there too next time.

This is exactly the kind of "science" that turns people against the entire climate agenda. It's nothing but emotive hypothesizing and sloganisms. Or maybe you would like to explain what experiment was carried out that supports this claim, the equipment used, the location, how I could repeat the experiment myself i.e. the fundamental idea of scientific method?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're right - wind farms have very deep carbon footprints. The one out near Moycullen was one of the biggest construction sites in the entire state for a while I believe. Huge amounts of bog removed so that foundations could be made and for the construction of the service roads which have to manage large lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He'll do well with the urban liberals. And that's the Green vote now. So you'll have FG, Labour, SDs and Greens all chasing this vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You are comparing driving a SUV to electric generation?

Would you not compare solar/wind with coal/gas?

If you want to compare driving a SUV then it would be versus a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Burning wood under the pretense it is carbon neutral is a con. It suits the big boys and girls in the E.U. to label it as such for calculating carbon emissions as 60% of the E.U. energy is from burning biomass. The single largest emitter in the U.K. is the Drax wood burning power plant, and is the second largest emitter in Europe.

Even green advocacy think tanks such as Ember and the NRDC have vilified the practice and shown that at the smoke stack it is the same or greater than burning coal. Not that it has stopped our geniuses joining in on the pretence. We are burning wood shipped from Brazil in a former peat burning factory in Offaly and we are going to be burning 200,000 tonne annually in a new plant in Killala in Mayo that will be shipped to Killybegs in Donegal to be then transported by road to Killala and all that is somehow a carbon neutral exercise. It`s horse manure.

O'Gorman is too divisive a candidate for leader

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are you a young earth creationist now or something, because this question makes no sense whatsoever.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The post of yours I replied to made no mention of importing the wood, so this is nothing other than shifting the goalposts. Also we are not responsible for, or in a position to influence, what happens in the UK - which is not an EU member either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone have any theories on why Catherine Martin isn't going for leader (considering she went for it after the last election)? Is she running at the next election? She's the only Green TD that I think is guaranteed to get re-elected. I see Pippa Hackett being considered for it…she couldn't even win a seat at the last election so she hasn't a prayer of winning one next time round.

Neither Paddy Power nor Boyle sports even have a market for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Catherine Martin hs announced she will be standing down at the next election.

I would guess that social media abuse could well have influenced her. It is appalling what is posted, particularly towards females.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

Oisin Smyth is the guy who decided instead of putting our plastic bottles in the recycling bin we need to travel 20 miles into a town and search every shop for the nearest machine that accepts plastic bottles so that twats name should not be in the running. He's even worse than Eamonn Ryan, he's a complete disaster. Because of that can and bottle disaster,( I always cleaned my cans and bottles before and popped them in my own blue bin and) now I'm expected to get a bus 20 miles into town and find a machine. No, greens out, all they did was tax people, punish people and try their best to make people's lives a misery and add as much impractical nuisances since they got in.

So science is a creationist concept now? When did that happen..

What methodology do IPCC, friends of the earth, just stop oil, extinction rebellion etc. follow?

No shifting of goalposts. Just pointing out the reality of wood burning when it comes to it being classified by the E.U. for carbon emissions counting as being carbon neutral.

The U.K. no longer being an E.U. member state doesn`t negate that. Nor does it change the facts that it was green advocacy think tanks such as Ember and the NRDC that pointed out that doing so is generating the same, or even more, carbon emissions than using the dirtiest of all fossil fuels, coal. Unless you believe that for some reason burning wood in a E.U. state will give a different result I really do not see your point.

The nameplate capacity of that Killala plant is 42.5 MW. The capacity factor of wood burning at its optimum moisture level is 61%. That plant would generate 26 MW burning 200,000 tons of wood Our present average needs are 5 GW, projected by Eirgrid to rise to between 13.5 and 14.5 GW by 2050. I`ll leave the maths to you as to the tonnage of timber that would have to be burned to make even a slight meaningful dint in our present or projected demand.

As to importing the wood. The moisture content of Irish grown timber is high and to get it down to the optimum level to get that 61% capacity factor the energy to do so doing would most likely not be far off the energy generated burning it.

It`s a nothing for here other than a pretence that it is carbon neutral for the sake of bookkeeping, and a Green Party " Hey look at us, we really are doing something to reduce carbon admissions". Whatever way you look at it it`s a con.

• Advertisement

I just heard on the news that senior members of the Green Party, including Pauline O`Reilly the party chair are backing Pippa Hackett for leader. Have they finally lost their minds completely ?

The only election she has ever contested and win a seat in, as far as I know, was in 2019 where she was elected to Offaly county council with 7.12% of first preference votes. She gifted that to her husband when Eamon Ryan gifted her a Seanad seat and in the latest local elections he over halved that vote to 3.1%. 2020 she ran in the then Laois Offaly constituency, and even with the then "green wave" got just 5% of the first prefenence vote.

Laois and Offaly will be both three seat constituencies in the next GE, so her son running for a council seat in Laois looks like her putting out a tester to see whare her best chance stood. He got 1.9% first preferences. Where in those figures do these grandees of the Green Party see her getting a Dail seat in the next GE on those figures!

Advertisement