Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Oxo Moran

We were talking about the spin on this LE. I pointed out FF/FG/Green lost seats.

If we go back to when FF could form a majority government we'd have some stats to laugh over.

Polls are as close an idea of what to expect as we can get. SF got hammered in the polls so badly, I wasn't expecting them to sweep the board in the LE's. Things are so bad for them poll wise they are down among FF and FG.

I don't like being put in a position to be talking up SF. I just pointed out, (it seems a lifetime ago now) that they actually gained seats. It's not my fault some people can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Indian social media mob???

Underhand racist reference to nationality of the former Taoiseach? We have been here before with a previous departed poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭pureza

Theres little point in saying here that SF are down 50% in the last decade,SF know that

It'embarassing for them that all these things are supposesly wrong in the economy and voters aren't turning to them this year,why ?

50% less seats than they has under Gerry Adams

Is that a performance for an opposition party to shout about ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Do SF know that? not according to their online mob who think the local elections are

• Advertisement

That's pathetic.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41410286.html

Are we to believe this is news to you? I've referenced it on this thread at least 3 times. I supplied a link the first time.

Anyone attempting to use race to win a point, just because they are floundering in a political discussion, should be ashamed of themselves.

Besides, Micheal Martin was born in Cork.

Post edited by Oxo Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very interesting local elections. The EU elections kinda bore me to be honest - sending 14 so-and-sos to a parliament of 720 to milk the expenses. Just glad Wallace and Daly and the radio jock didn't get in. I voted Ming. A few observations in relation to FFGG and locals. The incumbents and celebrity candidates did very well. My own LEA elected the exact same 4 councillors on the first count although one of them was previously FF (and plagued with corruption allegations) and had jumped to II who did well overall. FG managed to somehow completely rehabilitate FF since the crash. I think the Floating voter block were a little frightened by the far right loons and reverted to status quo, SocDems and Independent Ireland and that's no harm. I have no problem with SF having a bad election - their populist guff and constant moaning turned people off. I have always wanted to see new parties emerge from the large group of Independents but they will need time to establish. Greens were wiped out as expected but FFG really stabbed them in the back during the campaign and that will come back to haunt them. I did notice that Leo is truly unpopular (no need for the fake cards you-know-who) after all those years even though I think Leo has way more substance and ability than Simon. I think Simon will irk the electorate very quickly. The young people didn't come out to vote which is always a pity but I don't think local elections excite younger voters.

FG are now in huge trouble. The Dail elections will also favour incumbents and FG are losing half their sitting TDs to retirement. I also think Simon will get too cocky for his own good and let the mask slip. As usual we will have a summer of chaos and scandals and then we are looking at the serious election. Watch how FFG don't touch the scary topics (Children's Hospital, RTE & License Fees, Hate Speech, Immigration plans, Planning reform - any reform!, Covid Inquiry etc) before the general election.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

More predictions 😂

Strangely enough like every one of your other predictions FG or a government party are in trouble.

Greens did get wiped out - that's a historical fact Clo. No MEP and lost more than half of their seats. This is a fact. FG will lose many TDs soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Harris needs to back off on the Gaza agenda and actually start solving Irish issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I don’t share this opinion at all, they did exceedingly well for a party that has been in power for 11 years, if anything I’d say Harris is under pressure from inside the party to call a GE immediately while the going is good. I’d say they are pinching themselves, they expected to lose massively.

Ahh according to you FF/FG/Greens would be wiped out in every election, making that calls for years now. Opp's, another clanger of a wrong prediction

Green Party was always going to kick back like every other small party in government, it happens to them all. Just look at the Green Policies thread here for an insight to the sort of stuff fired around.

But don't worry, Im sure you will be still here with incorrect predictions on a week by week basis 😂

And I am sure you could point to all those predictions? Spoof. FFGG have only been in government once together and there has been no Dail election since 2020. Patience grasshopper.

He's there to razzle dazzle until the GE. I predict he will do nothing new as things deteriorate further.

Yes. They were quite giddy with the results.

If it weren't for their long decline, I'd say wait until something turns around and call a snap GE, but I think 'not as bod as they thought' is the best they can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good timing, he’s done as much (more than) as he can do and things look bearish for his party. He can count his two terms in Government as being successful in terms of what a minority coalition party can achieve and he’s likely gone as far as he can go in that regard.

Surely likely to also fuel election speculation. The Greens were going under a bus in some way by their coalition partners after those local and European ideas. “That was actually Eamon’s idea” - every FF/FG TD for the next few months

The treatment of the Greens during the election was very unsightly. It was clear the FFG candidates didn't give two hoots about the Climate Plan which is failing on all targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So two of the coalition parties will have renewed themselves with new leaders before the general election, as have the Social Democrats and Labour.

Leaves FF and SF looking like the staid old parties.

• Advertisement

Nobody does. As with all these things (and as happened last time they were in Government), these "notions" are grand when all is well and supported by those who like to show how socially conscious they are (think billionaires but on a much smaller scale).

However in the real world, all it means is more pain and pressure on a population/electorate that are increasingly fed up with having to pay for and being talked down to on an issue where Ireland's impact is virtually nil on a global scale.

I think you might be a bit shocked after next election and whichever party is in control and the plan for environment, power generation etc doesn't change.

MM was the favorite to go first and has lasted the longest

I still don't think he will go into the next election and will jump beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

MM staying on for the election allows him to continue on with FG or step aside to allow SF into government as equals with FF, this would dog any other FF leader throughout a campaign.

He also seems quite popular within FF circles.

MM doesn't make the decision to go into government with anyone, that is a party decision.

From the conversations I have had very very few people if any wants to do anything with SF

Not sure how popular he is, the people I know want to see him leave while at the top and thought he would go after his stint as Taoiseach, to try regenerate the party

Catherine Martin seen as the front runner. Maybe she should focus on resolving the RTE crisis which has been a lengthy disaster for her.

I hope she gets the job. It'll only accelerate the move back to irrelevancy where these ideologues and fantasists belong.

Martin proved her complete lack of competency in the handling of the RTE farce. She's perfect for suceeding Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not just within FF circles, he has the highest approval ratings of any party leader from the general voters too. 46% for Martin, 38% for Harris (even with the new leader bounce), 36% for Mary Lou, and 21% for Eamon Ryan in the May Irish Times poll. MM consistently polls 10%+ ahead of the rest of the party leaders most of the time, far more popular than FF in general.

MM is fairly bland, but hes also generally percieved to a good guy trying to do his best. Theres no real negative attack line thats stuck. That beats out people's perceptions of Leo (evil/heartless/all PR), Harris (too young/inexperienced), Mary Lou (no principles/not actually in charge/SF general terrorism baggage for older people) or Eamon Ryan (green fanatic/in favour of lots of punitive taxes).

MM sent Cowen on the EU gravy train so one of his biggest enemies is absent. Big Jim has lost his best ally for his plan to oust MM and given MM delivered the largest party in local government, Jim will have to stay quiet. FF could well be the largest party in the Dail fairly soon too.

If Eamon Ryan is stepping down due to the fall in support for the party, with Harris and a new Green leader, would calling a GE be the right thing to do?

If O'Gorman becomes leader, we'll have two parties, (including Harris) with highly incompetent leaders.

They have of course every right to stay in power despite the obvious lack of public support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Like labour, SF turned their back on their core support and are now paying the price. Mary Lou spends too much time being a jack of all trades and master of none. She, like Leo and Ryan should step down.

I still stand by long held view that SF have no real interest of actually being in government. Far too easy to talk absolute nonsense from the opposition benches. Couple that with being hilariously weak outside of a few politicians. They shouldn't be surprised at all.

Advertisement