Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery cyclists - grrrr..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they will obey the rules so there is that and they will be programmed to anticipate collisions and avoid, much better than a distracted human. There are lots of jobs that can be automated like that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's really something that the Gardai need to take a close look at, maybe run a safety campaign for the Delivery drivers, checking for illegal electric motors on the bicycles, checking on basic awareness of rules of the road. Many come from countries where there's no rules of the road so it's definitely needed.

Use of the M50 by Deliveroo bicycle drivers is definitely one that needs to be stamped out, the last one I saw was last week at the Dundrum junction, 3 lanes and a Deliveroo biker pedalling away could have been easily wiped out by a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

I think the companies need to be looked at and give them better working conditions.

would say they do what they do to make at best minimum wage, if they had better conditions maybe they wouldnt flaunt the rules soo much..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I get the LUAS from Abbey Street of an evening - they all congregate there waiting I presume for their next job.

The number of times someone has almost been hit by them, they're a complete menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I was pleasantly surprised to see a delivery cyclist waiting for a green light yesterday. The junction wasn't particularly busy so they could have jumped the lights and gone on. But no, waited patiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

They're a menace irrespective of what type of road user you are. Cyclists, pedestrians and motorists are all affected by them. I've seen them cycling the wrong way down cycling lanes with other cyclists having to take evasive action, going straight through busy pedestriann crossings at speed while the pedestrian light was green and wandering through busy junctions on a red light while looking at their phone apps for the next job.

The argument that they are underpaid and being abused by their "employers" is irrellevant. Somebody is going to get killed because of their behaviour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

of course they're going to wash their hands of responsibility - the whole model of how they employ the cyclists is to avoid any responsibility.

That's not the issue I raised, and there's no excuses to be putting their lives in danger by pedalling on a Motorway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

perhaps deliveroo cyclists have a loose relationship with the law because the law has a loose relationship with them? i've heard several stories about the gardai not bothering to follow up assaults against them, and then there's this;

They'll have a very loose relationship with their existence if some of them keep cycling on a motorway…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's not a cyclists vs. motorist argument imo because Deliveroo cyclists are not typical of cycling- they are erratic risk-takers (and would presumably also cause trouble on motorised e-bikes.)

Due to the nature of cycling they will not be directly responsible for a high number of vehicular manslaughters but they can get themselves killed* and increase chaos, danger and unpredictability for every type of road user. That's not good

*Unless you are an extreme libertarian you understand it isn't just about whether you flatten other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They won't because it's way way way down the list of dangers they are already not doing enough about.

If they are not going to do more about dangerous car driving and road deaths why would they tackle "getting a fright" from a bike.

Sadly you are right but I'd argue it's more than a fright - I was clipped by a cyclist going on the pavement (that area between Jervis and the Quays) and took a right fall - yeah I'm not in danger or anything but ended up with a skinned knee and elbow that looked like I should be in the Beano!

Cyclists in general will use the lanes where available and the road where not and by and large is they skip a red it's on an empty road where it's causing no harm.

Delivery drivers however, is like a 2 wheeled version of Death Race 2000 at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

This!!! I cycle as part of my daily commute, more precisely, I use TFI Bikes here in the real capital to bridge the gap between my place of work and the closest bus stop served by my bus route home. Whilst there's the occasional Lance-Armstrong wannabe in an overpriced racing rig and far too tight lycra, the only real "threat" from my perspective is those delivery riders. Not only do they drive like complete maniacs, I'm 95% certain their hideous Engwe brand ebikes, which seems like the standard ride for these guys, are not even street legal. Contractor or not, gardaí need to start cracking down hard on these maniacs!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Well that issue is lack of enforcement by Gardai.

I certainly didn't get a fright by seeing the deliveroo driver cycle past the Motorway on-ramp, but that's because I saw him and slowed down, next time someone like him may not be so fortunate and could end up being killed or seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

What do these services actually bring to the nation? I mean most take out food is unhealthy over priced rubbish and it's not like the delivery riders are massively contributing tax payers most are probably sending any little money they earn home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But that's the thing "next time"

We always hear about "next time" "could end up" or "before long" but it has never come. The fact is it's way down the list for a police force that don't even seem too bothered about the top of the list.

tbh I think it is…the issue you raised is they cycle like maniacs, so what I said is very much on topic

if the job didn’t have such sh*t conditions, they could make this money without having to put theirs and other ppls lives at stake!

I know it’s not right that they do this, but unfortunately this is the society we live in, ppl will do alot to get money, and even at that it’s not very much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Often see then working from the Ringsend Dominos.

people seem to happily agree that the people being discussed are usually on non-regulation e-bikes.

non-regulation e-bikes are legally classed as mopeds, so they are not delivery cyclists, they are delivery motorcyclists.

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't know that, thank you! Are they the same laws etc as those awful electric scooters do you know ?

that was slightly tongue in cheek, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

They indulge the desire of the lazy and feckless to do as little as possible. That's about it.

Still no excuses for cycling on a road where you could easily lose your life, no matter how hard up you are..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Some people are lazy as fúck. I used to work the odd shift with Just Eat for some extra money, and I would sometimes get orders for customers who were practically living next door to the restaurant they were ordering from. It would be quicker to go in and get it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Absolute nightmare most of the time, along with the Prime vans. All under pressure with unrealistic delivery expectations. The companies employing this should be held to task and rely on more realistic delivery times/ability.

I was knocked off my own bike 2 weeks ago by a lad on a deliveroo bike cutting up the inside of me. The load on the back of his bike hit me knocking me into oncoming traffic (Richmond Road). I was lucky to not get hit by a car and managed to just about stay on my feet but when I looked he had fucked off without a care in the world.

Completely agree, but the companies need to take responsibilty as well, if they are pressuring these guys to meet unrealistic targets so they can earn a little amnt of money, well then…

for example if they paid them hourly (not having to meet x amnt of deliverys per hr), instead of per delivery then they might not be such maniacs.

*I have no idea how much they are paid and if they are paid hourly or per delivery, but someone earlier alluded to €4 per delivery… In any case I would safely assume they are paid pittance..

Agree with earlier posters that it is only the really lazy that use em anyway, maybe if these people got up of their arse and actually cooked for themselves, or at least even walked to the takeaway..

What about the couriers on bikes, are they a menace? Probably not as they most likely have better conditions (if someone knows correct me if Im wrong?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Nothing, these app based "UBER" of everything are driving a race to the bottom. The workers are underpaid as the companies offered cheap services to increase users, but the companies were willing to lose money at the beginning to get into the market. People are used to cheap services so the companies can't really increase the price to customers so they start with the workers, but some people only can work for so much.

Another thing that's happening is that the delivery riders rent the app from the actual owner of the account so they are making less than what would already be crap money.

Exactly, ya see the poor Amazon drivers, dont even have time to wait when they ring the doorbell, they just leave it at the door..

I really do think the root of the problem are the companies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well people use the companies, Prime at least delivers stuff that people may not get their hands on locally but much of the delivery stuff is pure laziness. I live in US, the big food delivery app here is Door Dash which is owned by UBER. I was picking up a coffee one day at a Starbucks type place and one of the workers told someone else that someone had ordered a scone on Door Dash. I often order via the mobile app and these coffee shops have a pick up for their own mobile app and one for Door Dash, it's ridiculous how many times I see very small orders for Door Dash.

Also over the last ten years there was a large increase in what are called ghost kitchens, basically a massive kitchen that prepares delivery app orders for restaurants.

Advertisement