Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I thought enabling and advanced works were under way. It'll be a while before the actual works start if they are faffing about with this kind of stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Archaeological works and possibly ground investigation are all that's underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Limerick74

The two civil works contracts have been underway for a good while. So vegetation clearance, fencing, haul road development and other enabling works to prepare site for main works contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I presume that the works under way relate only to the initial section to go to construction. They must be planning to move on with enabling and advanced works for the remaining part as this tender refers to the whole route.

Two civil works contracts currently in place, covering the whole project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Engineers jobs for the project just advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

D&B tender out forAdare Bypass section

Is it published on etenders?

Happy days. I see it looks like they'll be building the full Croagh junction.

However it only mentions the 7km between these junctions. Could 'associated connections to and realignment of existing National and Local Roads' cover the other 3kms from Attyflin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Exactly what I was also wondering. Would be ideal to have M20 - Croagh open in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ESetter

adare to croagh to be built by 2027…will croagh to rathkeale and on to foynes be constructed after 2027 or will it be built at the same time as croagh to adare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Probably a phased construction.. They'll get Adare-Croagh open first, but construction on the rest should (hopefully) be well underway when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Is it normal that the awarding of a contract to build a road is tied to delivering it before a 2-day golf event, as reported by RTE.

It's not normal, but we won't complain. It's not just reported by RTE either, it's stated in the tender linked above.

And the Ryder Cup is a lot more than a two day event. There will be months of preliminary work and construction of temporary facilities in and around Adare Manor to get the venue ready and the event itself will be a week long, with the actual tournament taking place over 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I don't know why there has been some animosity about the Ryder Cup being a motivating or conditional factor for the delivery of the motorway. I don't care if a non binary sheep and cows matchmaking festival was the reason for it's fast tracking as long as it means funding and delivery of the road are assured and on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭I told ya

If you are a daily/regular user of the road, I fully understand your frustrations and wish to have it dons as soon as. I've been through Adare, on and off, over the last 50 years. Should have been done years ago.

Maybe some people feel it just seems a bit lastminute.com. Rush job, unforeseen problems, blame the contractors, cut corners (pun), scale back…

The over riding principle should be build right, build once.

Anyone know when the Ryder Cup was confirmed? How much time has been wasted?

The planning process for this road predates the awarding of the Ryder Cup by years. Planning started in 2014 and the project was sent to ABP in 2019 where it spent 2 1/2 years waiting for permission. It was then appealed to the High Court by three different parties. Luckily these were resolved out of court relatively quickly, but it was still June 2023 before all legal obstacles were cleared.

The Ryder Cup was awarded in 2019.

This project has absolutely nothing to do with the Ryder Cup. It was going ahead anyway and it's just coincidental that they are overlapping and that the golf can be used as a reason to push for the completion of this part of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Prior to all this the original Patrickswell Cork motorway proposal - jettisoned in 2008 envisaged a spur that bypassed Adare to the South. The Adare bypass bit was thrown out on planning grounds, before the whole shebang fell victim to the economic crash. My recall of exact detail is open to correction but an Adare bypass is on the horizon in various guises for a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Decades.

I was on a college tour back in late 99 on the rosbrien to patrickswell and the senior resident eng gave a presentation on the project. Mentioned the alignment at the Adare end was with a view to continuing the dual carriageway to the north of Adare. Charles someth or other, english accent. That road back then cost circa £33 million punts. Mad whan you think backwhy it wasnt progressed shortly after or indeed at design or planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

In fairness whatever about the long delays with the scheme the last thing anybody wants is to have a major road construction project ongoing when one of the biggest golf events is happening in the same location with all the extra traffic that that will bring.

So it's a reasonable demand to say in the tender that given the dates of the Ryder Cup the tendering company has to be sure that it can bring enough resources to complete the scheme in advance of those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@Jayuu yep, that's reasonable. Unfortunately "the project should not make the traffic shitstorm caused by the golf-thing any worse than it will be anyway" gets interpreted as "We have to have the project completed because there's a golf-thing happening".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

I only wish the they'd tied completing the Metrolink to the 2027 Ryder Cup!

I take it Sorenson are doing the enabling works. There is a deep enough dig being undertaken inside the wall opposite the golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

was there ever consideration given to extend the motorway as far as castleisland? would make tralee / killarney to limerick a pretty quick spin or is there not enough traffic to justify?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement