Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When someone tells a story you don't believe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I wonder if boards is any closer to getting an AI detector up and running…

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I always make sure not to correct my (awful) spelling errors…just in case.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I actually had a spare ticket to the 1991 gig because we crashed into a Dublin bus on the way to the gig (!), and the lad driving went home because his lights were damaged, and didn't want to be caught in Dublin after the gig with no lights.

Anyway, I sold his ticket for a fiver, because there was a couple outside looking for 2 tickets but only had a tenner. I said I'd give them the spare ticket for a fiver and they could hope that somebody else might do the same. They could have been lying about only having a tenner (bringing this back on-topic 😉 ) but I felt like I had done my good deed for the day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I used to work with a lad, the receiver. One of the great one uppers. He also had a slightly interesting, slightly annoying way or telling his stories. He's say a few lines and then pause, as if you gather his thoughts, and then say "Okay?" kind of waiting for you to agree or show affirmation to what he was saying.

His stories included getting unbelievable deals on things like petrol, car parts, housewares etc. Also, how he used to live in Italy and would score women left and right. Sometimes two or more in the same night. His truck could get him from one city to the next in record time. He also got by one 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night. Smoked like a chimney. Was always couching and or clearing his throat.

Ultimately he got fired for creeping out the new purchaser one too many times. We heard he got a job as receiver at a similar place from one of the delivery drivers that delivers to both places. The story he tells is that he left here on his terms blah blah, wasn't fired etc.

I would most smile and nod at his stories. They weren't completely outlandish on their own but it was a bit suspicious that not matter what thing you were talking about, he know someone better, or he himself did that years ago etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

For me it depends on the intent of the lies.

I'm getting older now and more likely to call someone out on lies if they're trying to get me to dislike someone else etc

Context is key. I know a parent who continuously lies but our children are friends, so I'm not gonna call him out on it, but I'm limiting my child's access at their house and encouraging play outdoors etc.

Some you can call out immediately with a "do u want an egg with that waffle" type of comment.

Others you have to gauge/ ignore.

Either way, it's tiring and boring having to second guess people. Keep interactions limited if you must interact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

work in security so we get these types now and again…one lad sticks in mind,he was with us a few weeks,according to him was ex French Foriegn Legion/Green Beret/Army Ranger/Para/Marine Commando etc etc,work would get quiet and he'd start off…when i was in(some far-flung African/Middle East/Far East country of your choice) some big drama/rescue/mission/blah/blah and guns shooting,near getting shot,how many he shot more blah blahblagh(doing my best to keep a straight face)…the best bit was he was a "wet work" contractor (a couple of the other lads were listening in at this stage),well that cracked me up alltogther…so i just had to say, "aye?really?jeeez you been in some heavy stuff…tell me this now and tell me no more…when your doing that wet work,do they give you a diving suit?and them flipper yokes?do you have to swim or do they give you a wee dingy?" he was only a young lad,mid twenties id say,so i dont know how he thought we'd believe him,takes all kinds i guess…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My old boss used to refer to these sort of people as 'two red Ferraris' men.

As in, 'i saw a red Ferrari yesterday' being met with 'yeah? I saw two'.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Photobox

My father got friendly with someone some years back , they became friends. He used to visit our house, when the friend died. My father found out that he was a fantasist Walter Mitty, he made up everything about his life,his job, his family, everything was all a lie. It was shocking to say the least. These people do exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I used to know someone like that

English guy who's around fifty six , claims to have known the Yorkshire ripper, apparently he shared a house with the rippers brother in Bradford and Sutcliffe used to drop round

Sutcliffe was caught in 1980 so my neighbour would have been at most sixteen years old at the time.

Same guy claims he was shook down by corrupt Spanish police while driving to Gibraltar, claims they pulled a gun on him and took all his money, had to walk to nearest airport and go hungry in airport waiting for flight back to Blighty which took three days,that's the bones of the story, little details too numerous to mention

Nice guy but weird, friendly with us for several years, then one day stopped talking to us , blanked ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Suit of Wolves

What did he mean by wet work? Did he mean literally wet? What did he say about it work before you mocked him? Did he mean wet work in the army?

• Advertisement

well,Im only guessing here…from watching films on military/espionage type of stuff "wet work" is when your an assassin…that lad was only at most 24/25 so he'd have had to have started his "military" career when he was about 10yrs old…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You never see a 10 year-old assassin coming…

Not your ornery onager

aye true enough…10yr olds are feckin savages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Its not hard to spot people who do this as a coping mechanism. Whatever gets you through the day I say. I dont judge them.

However there are feckers who do it for no other reason than they get a thrill out of it. Most of the time I let it wash over me depending on how often it happens and the scale of the lie. There are few in my circle of in laws / friends that do it constantly though. Ive had to listen to a few telling me how gullible they think certain people are for believing their BS. So a 2nd layer of BS on top of the first as its obvious the "gullible" in question are letting them away with their lies. Theyre a plague on humanity I say. Bring back stocks in the middle of towns so I can kick them up the hole as I pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I said this to someone in PI before: I've had experience with a pathological liar in the past, and in my experience, they lie so habitually and constantly that they end up either believing their own lies, or view lies as so inconsequential as to be not worth batting an eyelid over, hence the "blank stare" response to being confronted.

My other learning from dealing with pathological liars is that they often assume everyone else lies as much as they do, and so they genuinely don't see the problem. This is why they serve you nonsense that they know you know isn't true - they're not deliberately trying to insult or patronise you, it just genuinely doesn't occur to them. They don't care, so why would anyone else, is generally the "logic".

• Registered Users Posts: 56,130 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I did know somebody who spun tall tales, turned out they were alcohol dependent. The tall takes would t ne essayist be fine whilst drunk, in fact more truth was actually told when inebriated, they deception was more when sober.
    There is a condition known as Wernicke-Korsakoff, which typically affects the brains of alcoholics, as well as others who have for other reasons suffered severe thiamine/vitamin B1 deficiency, apart from certain plain memory defects, one of the key symptoms is “confabulation”, or making up stuff to fit around the narrative of stuff they have forgotten but can’t remember they have forgotten, for want of a better description. This is one cause of the real life Walter Mitty persona. They actually believe what they are saying during the moment they are saying it, so it’s not intended as deception, but is quite a sad condition in that a lot of self-awareness is lost.

On Liveline I first heard about the deceiver Samantha Cookes, about whom RTE have made a podcast series.

Extraordinary case, there is something very dehumanised about such a person who is well up on the antisocial personality disorder spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Reminds me of the 'psychologist' that featured on RTE investigates with the madey uppy qualifications. (I had a personal rendevouz with her to the tune of 400e) She's had several pseudonyms but now works as an actual qualified psychologist in the HSE. Go figure.

Then there's Paul Kelly, also a feature of a Primetime expose, who posed a fake doctor in a previous incarnation of himself. It seems to be a fairly common for people to lie about qualification and experience when applying for jobs all the same. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to why people go to extremes but I imagine its some act of self preservation.

I remember years ago meeting someone of native american descent who told me about the meaning of feathers in their culture (Lakota) He said when kids reach a certain age they get their first feather as a right of passage and it symbolizes that they are now of the age where they can not tell a lie. The second feather when they receive it is a mark that they must always tell the truth. I like that.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

On the feckers who get a thrill out of it, I think I've known a couple of them. They were constantly making up stories as some sort of unfunny prank. E.g. they'd have a big story about how they're leaving their job and going to do x, y, z. Testing you to see if you'd believe them, if you didn't, you'd pass their silly little test. OTOH, if you believed their crap, they'd find some way of using your naivety to humiliate you in front of others.

Always reminded me of the "Am I funny" scene in Goodfellas with Joe Pesci's character pretending to be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

They start young too. I had a lad tell me his uncle was president of Bolivia. We were about 9 years old. That was just the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Stories like that I call embellished either by the story having been told many times or trying to make it sound better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sure wasn't all of ireland in Stuttgart and Giants stadium to watch Houghtan stick the ball in the English net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth pointing out and what do you hope to achieve by pointing it out. If someone is blatantly spouting lies with a view to stirring things up, I will call their BS out. If they're embellishing a story, or making one up but it's harmless, then I wouldn't bother.

If, for example, he had named the teacher, or gave some information that could be used to identify members of staff, or the teacher, that's wrong and should be called out unless he can prove it.

Everyone lies, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying! IMO it boils down to what happens because of that lie, or if there was a specific intention behind the lie.

If it's just an auld lad down the boozer telling fairy tales, you would probably end up looking bad for calling him out. Most people know it's BS, but they play along because it's harmless. If you call him out, it's basically telling them they're all fools for believing, and that you're smarter for spotting the lie. Don't assume that everyone else can't spot the lie, they probably can, but just aren't bothered to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I've had that thought too, about whether they just assume everything I'm saying is a lie too. I think there's something in it.

I wonder if others would agree that the following are some shared features of the chronically mendacious:

1. Intelligent and articulate.
    2. Underachieved in life, in terms of career, academic success, talent - just not reaching obvious potential.
    3. Very wide circle of friends, largely superficial.
    4. Has two modes: gregarious entertainer or dark mood tyrant
    5. Convincingly knowledgeable about military matters or combat.
    6. Suffers from mystery ailments or has an 'old injury' that nobody remembers happening.
    7. An array of allergies and sensitivities that can be very unpredictable.
    8. Claims to have brushes with, or insider knowledge of:
      1. Criminals and the criminal underworld
      2. Celebrities or pop culture.

I'm not really thinking about people who lie to achieve something, I mean those who tell pointless stupid lies for no reason, often but not always self-aggrandising.

When I was a kid in the 60s, I grew up in an ordinary Catholic household as was the norm then, certainly not over-zealous, and my mother would bend the rules a bit and was always very compassionate. My mother, as most parents did then, wished that I believe in a God, a higher power to call upon in times of need too.

She begged my father not to do the pretence of Santa Claus at Christmas, (that presents would be from them and not a mythical figure) her idea being that if they lied over Santa, then I would lose trust in the existence of God. My Dad was looking forward to doing Santa and didn’t want me being an outlier and going around telling all the neighbours children Santa didn’t exist 😁 He got his way and I got most presents I asked for, within reason.

Lying is trying to persuade that something is a fact when it’s not, most especially when it’s the opposite to that fact.

Could be, as other posters say, to self-aggrandise, which can range from relatively harmless to being downright untrustworthy, depending on the claim made, from mild exaggeration to complete alteration of facts.

Could be the opposite of self-aggrandisement if it’s self-chastisement and this has its own range of social pathology.

Could be in an effort to prevent a situation from getting worse. An interesting example I heard many years ago on the radio were interviews with people genuinely suffering cancer being interviewed, and whose treatment was being delayed by waiting lists & queues (plus ça change). These individuals were, not surprisingly, terrified a delay or hiatus in treatment would lead to their death. One of them I recall distinctly as he expressed his guilt over turning up in an ambulance pretending he had become acutely unwell “to get back into the line of treatment” as he hoped would happen.

When people are really really up against it, fighting the good fight, it is very easy to fall into the position of lying to get out of what seems could be a deadly situation. We all have that survival instinct to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woodcutting

He's dead now but there was this man used to tell the most amazing stories of how he was a prisoner of war in some country - he wasn't - and showed me a mark on his wrist he said was from the chains holding him. He used to tell them to my father too, unfortunately I can't remember most of them. He was a complete spoofer. He was very entertaining though.

One of his stories was of when you had to get an operator to call the UK from a payphone. He called his daughter and played the flute over the phone. He said all of the telecom operatiors in Ireland stopped work to listen to his performance, even the 999 staff wouldn't answer emergency calls because they were listening to his playing. Complete Walter Mitty I think he believed it himself.

He was a great laugh to have a drink with though.I was in the snug of a pub with him the night of the prisoner of war story He wasn't boastful just totally caught up in his reality. Pity I can't remember any more stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woodcutting

A friend of a friend has bipolar so it's part of the condition. But in all his stories of who he met when in the USA it's all CEOs, Presidents of companies, top political people that he went to dinner with. He never speaks of going to dinner or even meeting any ordinary person. And he is not a big business man or rich

Advertisement