Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Biden all day long but these polls in America have me worried

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's not a slam dunk (I think) for Biden, but if things remain the same for the next 4 months, he should win comfortably.

Trump's flaws won't matter a **** to his supporters, but he needs independents too along with Haley supports and he doesn't have those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Maybe it's because I am an optimist, but I think Biden will win. There are a lot of Republicans who are not happy voting for Donald the felon. Add in a lot of swing voters who arent happy, and I think Biden could win in a landslide.

The MAGA movement are loud, but as the old adage goes, empty cans make the most noise. I reckon a percentage of MAGA followers like being vocal but have never voted a day in their life and have no plans to. Meanwhile a lot of quiet swing voters will go and vote for Biden and go home again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The problem is the undemocratic electoral system which affords disproportionate importance to red states. Biden could win millions more votes than Trump but the latter could win via the EC.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

He did in 2016 - wasn't in 3 million more votes for Hillary something like that ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Clinton won 63 million votes to Trump's 60 million. American democracy at its finest.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Nominee

Donald Trump

Hillary Clinton

Party

Republican

Democratic

Home state

New York

New York

Running mate

Mike Pence

Tim Kaine

Electoral vote

304[a]

227[a]

States carried

30 + ME-02

20 + DC

Popular vote

62,984,828[2]

65,853,514[2]

Percentage

46.1%

48.2%

2.8 Million ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Clearly between the Daily Mail junk article, what I'm seeing from Trumplodyte friends on FB, and now Fox news, the "Biden is too unhealthy" thing is "in the air." Probably because Ukraine's making progress in their war and so RuZZia needs to stir up the useful idiots - not you, but whoever fed the glurge to the Daily Mail or Fox news.

Anyway, when you see it, just let it go. It's nonsense and just a CFTrump-favoring whataboutism.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/brian-kilmeade-flat-out-asks-maryland-governor-if-hes-ready-to-replace-biden-at-convention/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can give you Boston globe and NYTIMES articles too if you wish

Everyone seems to be getting terribly upset just because some members of the Democratic Party might be a little bit forward thinking having observed certain behaviours over the last year and are saying “what if..”

I’m actually bemused that people here have taken that news so badly - it’s forward contingency planning is all it is and nothing more - you would be mad to assume that no such discussions have taken place behind closed doors with senior members of the party - that’s not how these things play out at all - for all we know, Biden himself may change his mind - but the reactions from some people on this thread is like a conspiracy theory is being pushed- it’s just common sense.

• Advertisement

Nobody's taking anything badly. You made a hysterical claim and pasted a link to the Daily Mail, a well known spreader of fake news. People gave it the curt dismissal it warranted.

H. H. Asquith

I made no claim whatsoever - hysterical or otherwise so get your facts right.

I referenced an article and clearly stated that it was “speculation”- you do understand the difference between claim making and referencing an article clearly stating that it’s speculation?

Or actually no you don’t - you’re just on an aggressive rant - don’t quote my posts again - you’re just out to badger posters

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The point being made is that ALL of the speculation is coming from the GOP and their allies and that speculation has been breathlessly telling us that Biden would be stepping down/being replaced any day now for the better part of 5 years.

Before the last election we were told he was definitely going to be replaced at the convention , then after that we were told he was definitely going to (be forced to ) resign and allow Harris to become President and now we're back to "He's definitely going to be replaced at/before the convention".

It's simply not going to happen.

As has been already mentioned , I have no doubt that they have mapped out all kinds of scenarios where Biden needs to be replaced based on what happens and when it happens. That's just good planning and governance.

However none of those plans are an indication that there is even the remotest appetite to forcibly remove Biden from Office or to forcibly remove him as the Candidate for the November election.

I don’t disagree with a word you’ve said there except maybe that it’s all coming from the Republican side - Fox News yes daily mail yes- but there are other more sympathetic media outlets also reporting it too

- but I also won’t stand for posters accusing me of pedalling conspiracy theories either which I haven’t done.

I think maybe the idea had been for Biden to have one term and then Harris to take over, but it turns out even among Dems she's not very popular. Talking to relatives in the US, the perception is that she has done nothing in the past 4 years. I would argue as the VP she's not meant to do a whole lot, but compared to Biden, putting her first on the ticket would basically hand DJT the election. There are conservatives on both sides of the aisle who would vote for an aged, ex-serviceman democrat, who would not vote for a black, female.

Time magazine was advocating change back at the start of the year for a new VP- she’s obviously divisive in the electoral eyes and Time have essentially called out the strong risk of her becoming President in Bidens second term - then again, change the VP and we’ll get tittle tattle about the new VP going back to their childhood - that will be guaranteed no matter how “clean” they are - maybe devil you know is best right now

https://time.com/6589518/joe-biden-owes-the-country-new-vice-president/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You made this claim

Newspaper article the other day- speculation that Clinton and Obama paving the way behind the scenes for him to retire and not run for re-election .

Which the article you then posted doesn't corroborate at all. They were just hypothesising about what might happen at some point. There was zero indication whatsoever that this is what is actually currently happening.

It was clearly marked speculation as I also clearly marked as speculation - absolutely nothing about claiming anything/ - but rant away if it makes you happy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What I'd say about any conversations from the Democrat party side is that some would have liked for Biden to be a one term President and for him to hand the reigns over to a younger more progressive person - Whether that was Harris or Gavin Newsome or someone else. But for that to happen that alternative person needed to step up and put themselves forward and I think if they had Biden would likely have been broadly amenable to that plan.

However , that did not happen so Biden remains the Democratic candidate in November.

There has never been any discussion outside of Republican fever dreams of anyone "forcing" Biden out or there being "secret plans to remove him" etc. which is what all those articles claim is happening or being discussed and it simply isn't true.

I’ve never claimed there were “secret plans” to remove him- but it would be just naive to think senior Democratic leaders don’t have a plan B if something like failing health were to call an end to his campaign - and in addition, we have absolutely no idea what discussions are actually happening behind the scenes- I would imagine Obama is seen as a trusted adviser to the president given his 2 terms and how much he’s been helping with the campaign - history will hopefully tell us just what conversations went on throughout 2024 - I have no doubt that many options have been discussed at various levels and at various times - that doesn’t mean Biden was going to be forced out but it’s more than possible that “some” democrats have looked at that option - doesn’t mean it was possible or practical - i think we’ll see books written post election that will give the inside track on just what was discussed and maybe some people will be surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'm not ranting, and that nonsense article in the Daily Mail - which would be a pointless newspaper to put any faith in anyway - doesn't even speculate that they are replacing him. It just theorizes something that might happen in the future if a number of things occur. It is hardly unusual for such rags, but the headline doesn't correlate with the body of the article at all.

I actually don't think Biden would have been amenable to it, I think he wanted to run again and it is that that put off anyone stepping up (because they thought they'd lose). Better to wait til the next cycle.

I'd rather he hadn't run in many way, but it is what it is.

It's kind of a catch-22, if he made it knowledge that he was only going to run for one term, every arrogant dem who thinks they have a shot would be circling around him for 4 years. Maybe he was hoping someone competent would step up?

There's only been 12 presidents who served one term, I don't know how many only ran once. Not many.

LBJ jumps to mind as running once. He served out the remainder of JFK's term, trounced Goldwater in the '64 election, then didn't run again. GHWB ran twice, lost once to Clinton.

Again , we're just talking about the various articles out there and they ALL talk of "secret conversations" to remove Biden and replace him with someone else.

That is entirely different to an organisation having plans in place in case their Leader/CEO dies or becomes incapacitated.

I'd say every single Large Corporation on the planet has a plan written down somewhere that details the steps to be taken should their CEO (or any key board member) suddenly die or leave , like I said that's just good planning.

The idea that there are discussions ongoing to remove Biden against his will "because he's not up to it" is a complete fallacy and a whole cloth creation by the GOP and their media allies feeding their storyline that Biden is not for for office.

Wonderful - so take it up with the Daily Mail if you feel their headline didn’t deliver for you 😀🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think he believed that Trump wouldn’t run again after that or wouldn’t make a credible attempt at running again either but here we are.

Biden announced in April 2023, Trump announced (formally) in November 2022 (prior to that he essentially announced right after he lost in 2020)

Very interesting mix in the SCOTUS's 5-4 decision today to invalidate the Purdue Pharma bankruptcy,

Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Barrett - no surprise those 4, and Jackson, for the majority

Roberts, Kagan, Soto-Mayor, Kavanaugh for the dissent.

IMO the right decision, Sacklers need to be bankrupted and not hiding behind reorgs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/27/politics/purdue-pharma-supreme-court-opioid-settlement/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Biden is quite fortunate in his opponent. If it was someone along the likes of Christie or Haley imagine the pressure to step aside would be very high. Still a long way till November, so he has time to steady the ship.

Advertisement