Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

With a username like Dash 8 we definitly know what side you're on 😁

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That's a bit harsh, some families this might be their only holiday, seems you're begrudging them

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't begrudge them seeking rises, and in general I'm ok with them taking action, but you can't be so dismissive of the public's opinion on it IMO.

They need to be careful here. If there is widespread disruption in the summer and people's holidays are ruined this will kill public trust in Aer Lingus. Many will be reluctant to book with them again. The likes of Ryanair will happily jump in to eat Aer Lingus' dinner.

This will reduce revenue, and I think we can all guess what reduced revenue will do to pilots earnings (and job security) over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

What a **** attitude to have. 'If you don't agree with me you're just begrudging and jealous???'

I hope you're not the pilots spokesperson or they're in trouble…..

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

It seems amazing that the impartial professionals in both the Labour Court and the independent Pilot Pay Tribunal appear to have been completely unaware of how utterly appallingly these unfortunate, impoverished pilots have been treated by their employer over the past 5 years. We are truly fortunate to have the benefit of your well informed insights.

It was interesting to note the Labour Court's observation that there was "a lack of realism and commonsense shown by the pilot's representatives" during the negotiations. Is it possible that you were a member of that negotiation team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

They are very much relying on the public for their already high wages.

Best not forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

How much of that 24% arose from simple market economics as opposed to holding a gun to the head of their employers? If there are labour shortages then demand for a particular skill increases and wages go up naturally, without any need to threaten industrial chaos. Wages can't just automatically follow inflation. If EI were losing pilots the way the other poster was suggesting, we'd be seeing it already in large scale schedule disruption. I don't see that happening. Sure, they are right to drive a hard bargain collectively. But, when it comes to strikes and working to rule, that's a dangerous game, with possible long term consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dash8q400

Eh no they aren't, there is plenty of choice at Dublin airport. And the first thing people say when they don't like an answer is "ah crap you must be working for them". As someone previously said "play the ball, not the man" if you disagree.

It's quite clear here that the simple fact is that an awful lot of you begrudge a pilot body from expressing their fair right to argue for an equally fair pay rise. Your main objection that it is higher than the average and will disadvantage you going on holiday. Purely only interested in you're own self interest. Pretty much begrudgery to me. I've had enough of listening to this shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

You're saying AL pilots are not dependent on the public for their pay? Really?

Where do you thing their pay comes from?

You've also attributed to me a load of stuff I never said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Or me, I actually said I sympathize with them, but also for people affected by this, the two aren't mutually exclusive. And of course people are going to care about their holidays, its human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭moonshy2022

plodder do you need a hug, you seem like you do.

I’ve been through this with you over the years several times before. You are back making up stuff as usual.

For everyone else, I’m saying that if the pilots don’t get a decent raise then they will continue to leave and EI will struggle to replace them as they will be the poorer payer in the European industry. Why fly for EI when you can go elsewhere and earn 25% more at least.

As to who I am, that’s none of your business and you’ll never know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭moonshy2022

Well said.

This thread seems to be full of people who begrudge others seeking to do better for themselves.

To any EI pilots reading this, keep going, you don’t need 100% of the publics support, you just need to stay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have a few general observations upon reading this thread:

• "There is plenty of choice at Dublin Airport" is true only to a point. EI is the only carrier to operate non-stop services to quite a lot of places. For an upcoming trip my choice is to fly EI or to take a connecting service that will (at best) take four hours longer each way and cost more.
    • I still don't subscribe to the view that if Easyjet/BA/etc get it then EI should too. Salaries are driven by local market conditions. If an employee chooses to relocate to a high-salary market, that's their prerogative. I'm not about to walk off my job because my peers in North America earn more than I do.
    • I've never had a job where I got pay raises to match inflation. The numbers being thrown around make it very hard for the average Joe to support this action. Any sympathy that exists will evaporate very quickly when people's hard-earned holidays are impacted.

The next few weeks are going to be fun to watch.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

You'll be some loss to the thread alright…..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

What exactly am I making up, and what did I make up before? Over the years. Are you confusing me with someone else? I'm entitled to my point of view and if you can't be civil maybe you should go somewhere else and give yourself a hug.

Pathetic childish post.

If you are a Pilot, and i'm assuming you are based on your username and bias, you'd do well to communicate in a slightly different tone.

Remind me of an EI pilot a few weeks back flying back from London who got on the comms and blamed the delay on him getting the plane late from someone else who was delayed. (And then never bothered his bollix communicating we'd be further delayed by another 40 minutes after missing our slot)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Qaanaaq

You do realise that quoted CSO figure 24% does not equate to pay rises? The average rate is mainly driven by the ratio of low paid roles compared to higher paid roles overall in the state.

So for example, if there was a higher incidence of new IT and other higher paying roles than there was for lower paid jobs, then obviously the average rate will go up. It just means there are more better jobs than the previous period.

You can only compare like with like exactly to get a reflection of wage increases.

Another example. If Aerlingus changed the ratio of Captains to First Officers from say 50/50 to 55/45 then it's average pilot pay rate would rise. But it clearly is just a cost increase, not a real wage increase.

I understand (open to correction) that all of the pilots' lower paid colleagues in Aer Lingus agreed to a salary increase in the region of 12% so why do these self-important glorified train drivers believe that they deserve double that?

Feel free to use crayons to illustrate your answer.

so why do these self-important glorified train drivers

🤣

Top notch banter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I see the circus has come to this thread. Predictable but unfortunate nevertheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

Plenty of people swore they'd never fly Ryanair again after their multiple bouts of Industrial action.

Everybody forgets about strikes when they find suitable fares and times.

It is a bit concerning to see so many people standing up for Management and wanting to quash workers rights with all this talk of Malta Certs. It's only though unions that the much mentioned "average family on their annual holiday" can afford to have time off and save money to get away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

You may want to read that again. That labour court comment was directed to both parties and was talking about both sides being unrealistic.

It's also important to note that the Labour Court recommendation was an interim measure and further raises were to be sought in future negotiations.

Of course. The Labour Court isn't stupid enough to specifically criticise one side in any of its judgements, so it fudges a bit to provide a bit of cover. Although anyone with a degree of intelligence can read between the lines! But well done, I'm sure that IALPA is delighted with you for spinning that narrative.

As you also wrote, the Labour Court's recommendation was an interim one that offered the prospect of further pay increases following further negotiations. I struggle to understand why a bunch of intelligent workers wouldn't have accepted such an open ended solution! The answer, I believe, is that relations on both sides are so poor that - as sometimes happens in IR - IALPA really need to have a strike to enable their members let off steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Damn I was going to book a flight to the UK for 4th July.

I know its luck of the draw how this pans out with cancellations..should I take my chances and book anyway?

That depends on which airline you're planning to book with.

So you think it's intelligent to continue with open ended discussions in the hope that magically, after 22 months of literally zero progress through 4 different processes, an agreement is reached? Isn't that the definition of stupidity - doing the same thing in the hope of a different outcome?

Separately, can we leave the accusations of posters being IALPA stooges at the door please? Quite a few posters here could be accused of being Aer Lingus management stooges. It does nothing for what should be an open and honest discussion and frankly it's childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GlideHome

Are the Manchester & Belfast based pilots IALPA members and therefore participating in the IR activity?

If you have an alternative airline option I'd go with that, you don't need the stress or worry over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pacman114

Flying to LHR next Tuesday and returning Thursday. What are the chances i'll know in advance if the return flight is delayed/cancelled?

• Advertisement

(Mod edit; reference to deleted post removed)

The labour court are not some infallible all knowing entity. They make recommendations based on presentations from both parties. In this case they didn't make a full recommendation, they directed the parties back to mediation. You may think that was the "only game in town", but having gone through 22 months of meditation with no progress, ialpa clearly didn't agree.

Your comment of IAG killing off Aer Lingus hardly merits reply except to say that it's a notion without basis in reality. An exceptionally consistent profit generating airline with a strong brand is not in danger of being killed off because pilots want a pay rise. Absolute nonsense.

Post edited by Tenger on

Advertisement