Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery cyclists - grrrr..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The problem is with lazy people using the apps.

Convenience = Laziness.

I heard of someone who ordered a Starbucks coffee. The delivery guy had to cycle 5km in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've seen some strange ones. I got an order for a BBQ dip once. Just the dip, nothing else. Someone else ordered 6 bottles of water from McDonalds. People working from home answering the door in their underwear and a bluetooth headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I thought they were illegal motorbikes?

You should see the anti cycling brigade get up in arms when the fairview park car joyriders are classed as motorists. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Agree with earlier posters that it is only the really lazy that use em anyway, maybe if these people got up of their arse and actually cooked for themselves, or at least even walked to the takeaway..

Ah here. It's lazy getting a delivery? The two takeaways we usually order from are a 52 minute or a 36 minute walk from our house, according to Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The motorcycle delivery guys are illegal. Most of them have L plates, so they are not insured for commercial work.

In addition, they are students… so they should be at home studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Most of them don't have a licence of any sort. The Gardai know it and let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Is this the latest thing we can cancel? people earning a living from delivering good, cancel them

What's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I seriously doubt people earn decent money from this, the industry preys on the desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

People have no issue with people delivering food. They just want them to do it legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My local Deliveroo driver got arrested for dealing drugs , I was a customer for years , didn’t know he worked as a Deliveroo driver as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭sporina

re read my op - I am a cyclist too - and was nearly hit by one as he was coming against me in "my" lane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,021 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I avoid using these by driving to pick up my very occasional takeaway.

Between these and idiots flying around on escooters the roads are a nightmare. Special shout out to the parents tootling along on the school run with a child standing in front of them holding on to the handlebars, not a helmet between them, of course. And no bother to them veering in and out of traffic if they meet someone on the footpath, just scoot out onto the road like they're Moses and can magically part the traffic. Sure why would you bother looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not a cyclist vs motorist argument at all. It's a road safety argument. Anyone who is actually vaguely concerned about safety on the roads will be far more animated and concerned about drivers speeding, using their phones, drink and drug driving than anything delivery cyclists do or don't do. The data shows clearly that dangerous drivers are killing three or four people each week here, whereas dangerous cyclists are killing one person each decade. Injuries are in similar proportions.

But strangely enough, those who are regularly animated and concerned about cyclists and hugely enthusiastic about fixing cyclists rarely seem to be interested in fixing drivers. Which leads me to conclude that they're not really interested in road safety.

Can you post to anywhere that I defended delivery cyclists causing accidents collisions by dangerous actions please? A link would be great.

His usual response when anyone tries to rile up hatred against cyclists while hiding behind a veil of road safety.

And yet a quick review of road safety will tell you exactly where the real threat comes from. It's not delivery riders. It is drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Then you should start a thread about drivers instead of hijacking the threads by people noticing lawbreaking by the two-wheeled fraternity.

And - this may have been pointed out to you before - whataboutery is a weak defence.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be fair they certainly helped keep a lot of businesses ticking over during Covid and they're going about on bikes that would otherwise be people in cars going to get their food.

We are probably moving towards the drone era and when those things are shooting about the sky left, right and centre — not to mention the odd malfunction where one crashes into the roof or some random garden — we might miss the old days !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well apparently some posters have pointed out that these lads are on e-bikes so they aren't delivery cyclists, they are delivery motorists. I do not consider e-bikes as bicycles, that is a headfake. They are mopeds in disguise.

But in any case I was responding to this thread that exists not to a different, hypothetical thread about something else.

I see dangerous car driving every day because I am next to a busy road. But I don't see that you've started a thread about dangerous car drivers.

Instead you are in threads about dangerous cycling telling people they shouldn't object to dangerous cycling. You are an off-topic threadjacker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've several gripes with these ebike delivery drivers, the biggest of which is this:

They generally hug the inside (the leftmost part of the road) and overtake other bikes on the inside (LHS) rather than on the expected right hand side. So you're cycling along on the left, there's some glass, potholes or whatever, you veer over a couple of feet to the right, continue cycling along for a few metres, then as you're about to veer back left into the default position on the road, the deliveroonatic zooms up past you on your left and you nearly collide with him. That's one gripe. Others are: them cycling contraflow, cycling on paths, gathering on paths thus blocking peds, they all seem to be ballyed-up with masks and snooks, perhaps to conceal their identity.

The sooner the delivery apps fade away the better, and the sooner they f-off back to their countries the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

the sooner they f-off back to their countries the better.

Took you a while to get to your point…

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

They're over from Brasil, on language school visas, which is one big scam generally. I've direct knowledge of how it all works and I know what I'm talking about. Do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They're using them in Blanchardstown already. The size of the fecking things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've been present for two deliveries by those things. I'd shoot the **** things out of the sky if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And if I did start the thread, you'd be popping in to tell us how drivers don't need to change anything because they're the best in the world (regardless of how many people they kill here), while calling for massive enforcement against cyclists (who aren't the ones killing three or four people each week).

So that would be fairly unproductive, right? I've no problem in continuing to call out hypocrisy.

No, I don't start a thread about dangerous drivers because I'd be banned within a few days if I started a thread every time I noticed a driver doing something dangerous, as seems to be the logic when it comes to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Oh god, bloody start ups and their genius ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

You can catch a siteban for starting a thread discussing dangerous car driving? I didn't realise boards mods were so pro-motorist...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In an average month, I experience more threatening behaviour from people using two wheelers (of all sort) than from people using four wheelers.

Ive never had a car driven straight towards me on a footpath, for instance. Have experienced it a few times from bicycles, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No one argues that there will be road deaths, the fact is that cyclists can be a menace - it should be safe to walk down a pedestrianised area without worrying about being hit by a lunatic on a speeding bike.

You know cars are on the road, you show basic road safety and common sense and generally will be fine. There’s not a lot you can do if a cyclist, delivery or not, mounts the pavement or cycles where they aren’t allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Delivery, or any type of cyclist, that goes the wrong way on a one way street, cycles on footpaths, ignores traffic lights, or those who are almost invisible at night, are a serious problem. Ignoring the rules of the road puts others at risk in the same way as dangerous motorists.

Imo, all adult-sized two wheel vehicles should have some type of registration plate for identifcation, ie. an up-front charge to licence the bike at time of purchase, and an annual re-registration charge. The public roads are for everyone's use and all users should obey the rules or be fined for breaking them, and be easily identifiable by the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Charlo30

I do quite a bit of walking and yes most days I do come across cyclists on footpaths. But at most its a minor inconvenience if even that. What I do find puzzling is meeting a cyclist on a footpath when there is a perfectly good cycle lane beside them. That's a bit of a head scratcher

Advertisement