Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus McClean lifting the lid on the Euro 2012 Ireland camp. Fair play to him for being honest. But he sounded like he was an overgrown child.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

RTE Panel level of research and homework impressive. Fallon had her young fella researching the age profiles of each squad.

It is night and day compare to the level of work the panelists put in in the not too distant past. I can remember a world cup where John Giles was laughing about knowing nothing about either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Think it was Japan, and Giles said the lad called "Honda" will motor around the pitch nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Spain get the win tomorrow, they might well put out a B side in the last game against Albania alright. Decent enough position to be in considering the group they got drawn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's an ugly scrappy goal. Hungary I think want a free out. It gets uglier with every replay.

It's marginal, but I think it should have been a free out. The Hungary player wouldn't have fallen over without contact from Gündogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't mind that being given, but it'd nearly always be given as a free so can understand the frustration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Both Hungary lads flat footed on the follow up there, should have been an equaliser.

• Good call. Wish it happened more often. I'd say England are raging he got away.

Yeah, think Hungary were a bit hard done by there… there was the shoulder challenge first, but then a thigh contact which looked more of a foul.

Bloody hell, Hungary nearly equalised - great free kick, and if the follow up was just a bit better it was in.

• Advertisement

Ooof some effort, probably should've scored the rebound

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Don't know how that's not given as a free out, just ran into the back of him, I think if he goes to ground straight away its given but he gets punished for trying to stay on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this is shaping up to be a great game

Szoboszlai with an excellent free kick, the follow-up from the Hungary players though was feeble. Better reactions and it would be 1-1, should be.

Hungary looking much sharper now than in that first game. Some lovely little pieces of play to move between the lines.

• It's a contact sport. Most footballers seem to think it's basketball. Even see GAA lads going down as easy. Get it gone from the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of my TA around modern footy is the unnecessary changing of kits.

Both teams wearing their away kits today. Germany playing in Germany wearing purple.

Both could have worn their home kits today, the colours the world knows them all by. The colours of their flags ffs. But no, wear your away kits, cos we have to sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

neuer flapping at 2 crosses in the 1st half putting the ball back into the danger zone, and got lucky twice. they can certainly be gotten at.

That was a great chance for Varga to level the game. Instead he headed over.

• Delighted he left City. Always seems to pop up there.

Really well worked goal. Germany do look to have an extra bit of class compared to everyone else so far this tournament.

• Advertisement

Germany have made it 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

I thought their very high press they played against Scotland would catch them out today but they are even further forward and seem to still find space.

FOr all the slagging off of female pundits on tv, Lisa Fallon is probably the best pundit I have heard of any tv channel in this euros.

She really knows her stuff. She chats about in depth formations, tactics etc. She is putting McClean and Doyle to shame, they are just chatting in generic sound bites like a lot of pundits, she is analysing on a different level.

It was mentioned in RTE commentary that Germany's Purple Away Kit, is their fastest selling away kit in their history.

Jez, McClean is a terrible pundit. And I say that as a fellow Derryman.

He is speaking so slow, has he been told to slow down? I know us Derry wans speak very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I know we are known as the greatest fans in the world but I have to say the Tartan army are pushing us close...incredible support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Good break. Bit of luck, but the Scots go one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Quare crap pass from Robertson - worked out though

I felt Scotland would need help to score. And that's what has happened. Switzerland with a moronic own goal. It was going straight into the goalkeeper's hands otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

that was such a rubbish goal

They lose a fair amount of credit for the awful noise of the bagpipes bag of tortured cats. There's a tonne of them over in Germany going around playing, thinking people want to hear that hellish noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

The start Scotland needed, albeit pretty fortunate. Long way to go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

The power cube!!

That's top class. Scotland the plonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Cracking equaliser from the barreller

Could always hit a ball right every now and then

Now that's a proper goal. Quality strike from Shaqiri into the top left hand corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

Idiotic back pass but that's a great strike for that goal

• Advertisement

What the hell was that pass about

What a goal for Shaquiri though - unreal strike

Shaq

Maybe that's why he is starting, ray houghton

Shaqi can. Superb finish. Horrible error from Ralston though. Big test for Scotland now, I could see them folding.

HE scores some great goals.

Was going to say did I hear it right about him, some finish to shut him up (if only)

There are some really average players in that Scottish squad

• Advertisement

Good break by Switzerland. Decent save by Gunn, but the finish wasn't good enough.

Now it looks like Gunn has gotten away with a mare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭4Ad

Scotland are falling apart...

I think they’ve actually responded quite well since losing the goal. You’d have to say the Swiss look the more likely though.

Shaquiris goal aside this hasn't been a great game. Littered with mistakes from both sides

Lots of stuff McClean said.

Volleyball the night before the Spain Game Euro 2012

Back in Euro 2012 he was on about how Trapattoni did not really engage/communicate with him. So through the Trap press conference McClean was under the impression that he would not be playing (only just out of LOI) and was there for experience.

The night before the Spain match he saw people playing volleyball on the beach and decided to join in. His phone was going mad. John O'Shea told him to "get off the f**king beach". Then McClean ended up coming on as sub against Spain after all that.

Criticised Trap on Twitter 2012 after a win v Kazakhstan (A) WC Qualifier

The next episode he had was after the Euros Ireland were due to play the Kazakhstan. McClean was convinced he would start or at least play. As Trap was "bigging him up" in the media. But he stayed on the bench.

And what did McClean do? He was shown how to access roaming on his phone by one of the lads on bench. So he decided to go on twitter and say congrats for the result. Even though he "Didn't "f**king play".

At this stage according to Kevin Doyle (sitting beside him in studio).- Doyle said most of the Irish squad thought that McClean would have a very short international career. But McClean apologised to Trap. Trap was OK with that but said if he ever did that again, he would never play for Ireland again.

Mclean on Ireland's preparation for the Euro's in 2012

He said in hindsight the preparation was not professional and all over the place. Which he realised when he compared the 2016 Euros.

In 2012 McClean and Doyle said the Irish team hotel was like a non stop party because it was central in town and full of Irish fans. The players could not go down to the lobby or they would be swamped by fans. McClean also said he saw John Delaney singing drunk in the bar etc etc as well. Which was not a great example to the squad.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement