Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options
1198199200201202204»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Inviere

On top of all of that, which is true....it was also said Vanilla would make issuing updates far more efficient than it was under vBulletin, that the site would run more efficiently, that we'd have most (if not all) if the functionality that vBulletin offered, and that when the dust settled, all would be well....

Its been three years. Three actual years have passed since the move, and aside from the usual gripes you get about such changes, it feels less reliable, less usable, less intuitive, and less functional than it ever did under vBulletin.

I'd also agree that raw Vanilla is god awful to use too, so stripping the customisations out and reverting to vanilla Vanilla would bring with it it's own raft of complaints, and we'd still end up with a cack website anyway.

I don't think Vanilla is a great fit. Yes there are other forums that use it fine, and I don't really understand what's so complex about the needs of Boards that can't be provided by Vanilla, but it's had three years to provide them (and hasn't.) We're not talking advanced discussion forum features here at all. It feels like we got some bargain bin Beta Tester account with Vanilla though, and it has felt like life support for Boards for a while now.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BBcode in VBulletin was great. You could format posts any way you wanted. You could partially quote. There wasn't a large selection of smileys, but we had PAC!, and they were actually large enough to be able to tell the difference between them.

On Vanilla you can't even do things like use an asterisk to add a footnote without it throwing a mickey fit.

But hey we have hundreds of smileys, most of which are too small to make out. 👍️

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That's just the implementation of native Unicode emoji. So it's not even the same as the old custom smilies/emoticons.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is very slow and emoji up for thanks, reacts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Neowise

If you are on phone, use you phones emojis, if you on windows, use windows key and period, to pull up windows emojis. They native emojis should all work, and they should be faster than the site selection one, which doesn't even have search capability.👍👍👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I meant I could not thank earlier as error emoji page was showing up again

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement