Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantic 252 What happened?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭nonetheless

Yes, Stevie B's 'Because I Love You' and from rock Damn Yankees 'High Enough' to soul Ralph Tresvant 'Sensitivity'. A252 👍👍👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

God yes! Hearing those brings them back. I’d totally forgotten them. It was a million miles from the kind of stuff on FM here at the time. I’d listen the hell out of a station playing all those today. Thanks!! Great reminders!!

Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 available from rick.com. Look out for the section devoted to '80s & '90s Editions. Editions from 1989/90/91 are regularly played. It will bring you back to A252 for that time period. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tribalcamp

It's interesting the heated debate this DAB reboot/tribute is generating on the Digital spy forums etc. If Atlantic 252 hadn't closed in 2002 and if it had survived by eventually going on UK DAB/FM etc, it would still have long ago left Trim and Longwave, RTE would long ago have sold their shares and it would be just another UK brand owned by either Bauer, Global or wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Maybe, but had others been allowed to buy. Or had RTL Re invested as we wanted them to then it would have remained in Trim. Maybe the LW might have been used to do an Oldies station and the CHR station gone on D1 freeview sky etc. Our MD at the time fought our corner for RTL NOT to sell us off. They sold it at a loss. The damage that was done in 98-99 by going all indie put a dent in the plan.

Post edited by Enda Caldwell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

LW and AM might have some nostalgia for radio anoraks, but the vast majority of folks don’t miss it. Lo quality sound with a hiss. Post war sort of stuff.
    We now have a wide selection of stations on FM, podcasts, and music streaming services.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

6-7 million people can most definitely be wrong.

Look at what is and was popular in TV, film and music. We live in a world where Sex and the City and Westlife were wildly popular.

• Advertisement

But @Bobson Dugnutt you religiously tune in to RTÉ R1 a station with sound quality and levels only marginally apart from that of the quality of AM Radio you listened to after the War? I would book myself a hearing test if I were you, thank God I am not! Was that the Boar War you were involved in by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Sorry, I read this more than once, and have no idea what you talking about.
    LW sounded like it was being broadcast from a bucket in the next room. Dreadful sound quality. LW is a relic of the past.

The idea there would still be a market for something like 252 is laughable. Some slightly creepy middle-aged dude speaking with a Yankee twang as he plays Pink and reads out fake requests from a nonexistent teenage audience.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

You are way more than slightly creepy NK / Bobson. Reknowned p to the r i c k of boards.ie. if you call an audience in excess of a million "nonexistent" then you need the full eye AND ear test at specsavers. Your hopes of mod involvement and thread and sitebans for me must really be bothering you by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Considering that the signal was weak in London and the East Coast this listenershio figures are high .

The station was closer to Sunshjne (which could be received on AM and FM on the West Coast of the UK) than Laser which was London centric and a fading memory , Charlie Wolf being the laser link.

Iirc Atlantic was not surveyed in Ireland , RTE was under considerable pressure from the ILRs especially LMFM over the popularity of the unregulated A252

AM was still very Important in '89 / early 90s with eg Capital 104 going as far as buying an AM transmitter to increase its listenership.

I don't think Sunshine 101 and a certain late US radio consultant get credited for what Atlantic 252 initially used as a blueprint and what made the station incredibly popular and successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Re: AM listenership - I recall that when BBC Radio 1 went off its MW frequencies in 1994 its listenership fell almost overnight by ~1 million as that many were still relying on MW & LW to listen to the station and either hadn't retuned to FM, couldn't do so (some car radios at the time still didn't do FM in the early 90's) or locally hadn't been reached by BBC R1's FM network roll out by that time (though it was near complete by the time of the MW switch off). I think it was only by the late 1980s that FM listenership was bigger than AM in the UK, so it was still important during that era. A different story in the ROI of course, as the post-superpirate era of radio in the state had little AM broadcasting from the new stations coming on air (bar the short-lived Century Radio with its Dublin & Cork TXs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Atlantic 252 PD was Paul Kavanagh, who was also PD of Sunshine 101.

Response to Infoanon:

Regarding Sunshine 101, I am going back further. Yes, Paul Kavanagh was PD of Sunshine 101 and Atlantic 252. But Paul did not come up with that particular format, he implemented it very successfully on Sunshine and Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Paul Kavanagh implemented the format much better than Mr. Cunningham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Take a look at "wilkosnaps" on Instagram, Matt Wilkinson on Heart London - he's certainly doing something good with what he's got at Global.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thought this might be a thread about the return of Atlantic252, silly me. I am thoroughly enjoying the 90s tunes back on Atlantic, tuning in via the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Waiting for the angry anorak mob to hop on you for the audacity to like the new unofficial version of Atlantic in 10, 9, 8…😉

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

😂 I don't care, reliving my musical youth is keeping me happy! I am the target audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm enjoying it too. Hearing tunes I haven't heard in a long line time. How long it'll last is another question because I haven't noticed any ads.

I have a Google smart speaker and would like to cast the audio to that when I'm at home. I can't see any option to cast it on the app, nor is the station showing up in TuneIn (there's a different A252 station there).

I’d forgotten it was up. Dipped in just three for a listen! It’s fantastic! Like uncovering a time capsule from the late 80s/very early 90s. Reminds me instantly of being on summer holidays in secondary school! Great stuff. Long may it continue.

They mentioned recently that there will be some ads, I can't remember if I heard that on the station or on their Instagram account. I suppose they needed to build up a listenership first.

Who is running it? Is anyone connected with the original station involved?

Been listening on and off since yesterday. Wow! Lots of tracks from that 89-91 period I’d totally forgotten because they’re never played anywhere and could be classed as obscure now. They wouldn’t have been big hits long term. They totally capture what was really going on in that period musically though, for me at least. Even TOTP from this time period doesn’t have this stuff but it was stuff I liked at the time. Stuff like a cover of Anither Day In Paradjse by I think it might be someone like Jam tronix or such and a drum beat/vocal cover of wishing on a star. You just don’t hear this stuff now.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Advertisement

Jam Trinik I think. That’s bit right either

And I think this is the version of "Wishing on a Star" you're referring to...

They're starting to run ads, though they're unobtrusive so far. I'm continuing to enjoy this station and the voiceovers from Jim Merkel. It's lovely to be able to leave the music playing in the background with no "hilarious" messers interrupting the flow. So far I haven't noticed hearing any songs twice. That's not to say it hasn't happened but it's not as obvious as it is on mainstream radio shows. The streaming services get pretty repetitive too. I'm genuinely enjoying listening to hear what the next track might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

If you go to http://lsn.to/ATC on Chrome on an Android phone and start playing, you can find an option to cast to your Google smart speaker.

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. It's just a shame that they think Alexa is the only smart speaker out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

Google shot themselves in the foot when they stopped the support for conversational actions with no suitable replacement.

It affected many radio stations and Google is solely to blame for abandoning both the stations and its "smart" speaker users.

I used to have an Alexa speaker and gave it away. The Google ecosystem works far better with the apps I use and I'm happy enough with it. It's just Atlantic 252 that it doesn't work with. The app works fine with Android Auto in the car, which was a pleasant surprise.

Advertisement