Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is a couple of ratings to look at and terminology.

There is 2 things at play, power - kW, and energy -kWh

Inverter power is 5kW, that's the max that can leave the inverter.

Battery capacity is in kWh. How fast the battery will charge depends on the battery charge rate and the inverter charge rate, (whatever is lower)

On the solis it's 100 amps(at battery voltage) which is about 5kW. Earlier versions of the solis de rated to 70 amps after 15 minutes. Newer firmware is a bit better.

I don't know if the new 6G version works any different.

Clipping, is when the power just isn't generated.

The solis has a mode, feed in priority @Jonathan i have an idea that I might test, if the operation mode of the inverter was set to feed in priority, and for testing you set the max export at 3kW will it export to 3kW and then charge the battery with the "excess"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Worth testing. I've never seen a battery charge in Feed In Priority mode, but I don't have enough PV to max out my system, so do report back with your findings!

That's why I also suggested putting a lower export limit in for testing. Tomorrow forecast isnt looking fantastic but maybe on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

just wondering which invertor is better, looking between a Solis 5KW and a Huawei,
    both systems are 18 x Jinko 435 Bifacial

Solis quote 2 x WECO Batteries 10.6KW €11000
    Huawei Quote 2 x 5KW Batteries with BMS €12500

The price difference is €1500 to go with Huawei,

Adding additonal Battery costs
    Weco = €1800
    Huawei = €2400

what if any is the advantage of going with Huawei over Solis ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭deezell

The immersion is on grid, so will only take a share, about 2.5 to 3kw, of the 5kw inverter cap. The excess above 5kw can only go to battery, if it needs charging. Inverters such as Sungrow have an extra off grid output, you wire a portion of your household to this, and any consumption on these circuits is entirely separate to the on grid circuits. They will also stay powered during a mains failure, via solar and battery. If its dark and the battery is flat, it stays powered from the inverter via the inverter grid connection to the mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi all,

Have had a few quotes and this is the best on yet. Living in a semi d in Dublin with sub optimal orientation. Back is south west and side is north west. Have been told 8 panels will fit.

8x435w Jinko panels

5kw dryness battery

5kw solis inverter

Eddi Water inverter (not sure if needed - thinking of changing water tank already as its older)

Total minus grant €6,000

Seems quite good to me, any opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

Looks good, if they haven't done a site visit ask them to bring a few extra panels in case they can fit them on the day if you can afford them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Copernicus13

Got 2 Quotes for 10 panel system. Both included Eddie diverter. Then got 3rd quote and added 2 extra panels but persuading me don't need Eddie, just a timer on immersion will do! Annual consumption 3600 kW. Any comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Is Eddi a brand of hot water diverter?

Is a hybrid inverter better to get at installation in case you add a battery at a later date? Or could you get the inverter and battery at anytime.

• Advertisement

Need to add this question to the FAQ lol.
    The eddi will divert the excess solar to your immersion. - anything the eddi uses is consumed and not exported.
    Id argue unless you have an inconvenient way of heating your water to not get an eddi.
    If you heat your water via gas, It costs you say 10c/kwh.

If you export that power you get 20-24c/kwh so for every kwh you export will pay for 2 kWh of gas to heat your water.
    and an eddi, someone mentioned recently that not having the eddi took 350€ off the invoice, some charge 5-600 to add it.
    So before the eddi starts saving you money, it has to be "paid off" first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MDP1

Quote as follows:

Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4R-B 420-440 Watt All Black

12 x JKM435N-54HL4R-B

435 Watt panels: 6 panels facing 6 degrees south of east on pitched roof: 6 panels facing 6 degrees west of south on a flat roof.

With

S6 String Inverter - 1PH DC (2.5-6K)

5kW of Inverter Power

Solis - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies   

1 x S6-GR1p5K

€9,014.00 before grant: €6,914.00 after grant. Extra over for a Hybrid Inverter €765.00

Price includes BER

Current electric usage 4400 units per year.

2/3 years time we will upgrade to an electric car.

8/10yrs time we will up-grade to most up to date heat pump technology available then (Current BER B2 - work to improve air tightness next on list)

Is the above a good system for our needs? What about price? Is it a good idea to invest in a hybrid inverter now?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭KaiserLu

Hi all,

Got the attached quote today. What do you think?

Thanks, looks like the aim is to export as much as possible rather than store it. So do you think I should fit a few extra panels if I have the space?

Yes Eddi is the brand name. You must fit the Inverter, otherwise the system doesn't work. Needed to convert the DC current from the pv panels to AC current compatible with all your electric needs and the ESB grid. HW diverter and storage battery are optional and can usually be added later. Remember though, the grant can only be claimed on your first install and the current vat exemption will not be available to subsequent upgrades.

Vat exemption may apply to future upgrades. As long as there is PV panels in the supply and fit. It gets a bit more complicated thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

hi all, just got quoted 6800 for 11 panels, eddi thing, no battery. Is that reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ruffmut

How does this quote sound that I got this morning for a pv system.

5.2 KWp split east / west photovoltaic solar system installed.

12 435 watt Jinko solar panels with a 30 year warranty.

All k2 roof fixtures and fixings.

1 off 5 KWp hybrid inverter, (so your photovoltaic solar system is battery ready).

1 off app so you can see what your pv system is generating (subject to having wifi where the inverter is located)

1 number fire switch (shut switch).

1 off 32 am RCBo

1 off generation meter.

All necessary AC and DC switch’s and cabling for the full installation, 1 off post BER (required for the SEAI grant). Doing all necessary paperwork for ESB Networks and the SEAI grant application, Cost is €6,300 after the SEAI grant payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fido_dido

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Being running my new 5.2kw Pv system now for the past few weeks and very happy with the investment. Anyone sitting on the fence I recommend going for it.

Went we the reputable Huawei inverter and 10kw battery despite all the conspiracy theories out there over Huawei. I couldn’t be happier, the Huawei App is spot on with my zappy readings and is very user friendly and intuitive.

We had an issue with the battery and contacted Huawei customer service and within 24 hours a battery software update was emailed to us which fixed the problem. Great customer service Huawei well done and great 10 year battery warranty which is reassuring considering the prompt customer service.

Still 4.5 hours of sunlight left today and my 12 panel systems has already yielded 26.5kwh’s 😀

Looks a competitive quote. My quote for similar 12 panel system is €7350. I do have some panels on a separate outbuilding roof which adds extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi, yeap we were still running boiler to heat water but switched to simple smart switch Tuya wired to the immersion supply, so can switch on and off when ever need, boiler is now off (hopefully for the summer) and immersion is on from 8am - 10pm after filling up on the last hour of the EV window and no one in the house has even noticed apart from the water is slightly hotter coming out the tank manily because of the old screwdriver adjusted tank thermostat as opposed to the more precise digital on that the boiler uses.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Looking for advice for a friend of mine.

He's a carpenter by trade so will be able to get the panels on the roof (bungalow, tiles) no problem.

He's looking for a sparks to do the inverter himself.

I'm trying to spec out a system / parts for him.

He's looking at 12 panels initially.

Do I go with Standard 5kw inverter or hybrid for MAYBE batteries in 4+ years time (He won't be going batteries), thinking of getting prices from Kellehers.

His main ask for all of this is hot water so I'll be adding the eddi to the pick list.

No grant here. Will need the Nc6 all right I'd say so that'll be something I'll push the sparks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Just reading up on microgen with my supplier. Am I right in thinking that no smart meter means no FIT? We currently have a 24 hour meter. Installation of smart meter is not for a few months based on a phone call to them last week.

There's an estimated allowance iirc, for standard meters. It's been mentioned before. A bit of searching will find the details.

Deemed Export Quantity, thats the method.

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/help/what-is-deemed-export-quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think I read it was capped to €300. If you export more than that you lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That is now gone if you had a PV installation after September 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Squatman

GREAT ASK, and one im considering myself. No battery is the way to go IMO. I got a reasonbale quote of 9200 incl grant for 20 panels, 1 inverter,, 1 eddi, 1 BER report, 1 earth rod.

Now i do think with marketing now and the grant, that there is a horrendus markup on this. so erviewing the panel from my quoute i found this, https://gannonssolar.ie/product/the-tiger-neo-n-type-54hl4r-b-420-440-watt/ leaves me at 1240 for the panels. a 5kw inverter here https://etronixcenter.com/en/8175071-se212-solis-solis-5kw-hybride-5g-s5-eh1p-one-phase-energy-storage-inverter-incl-3-phase-meter.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwps-zBhAiEiwALwsVYSRoXFZUixG9Wa-GAM9t61WZtw5_lywSMI4n67CLTiktqwnYqGprFBoCt2QQAvD_BwE brings me to 2089, an eddie https://www.ecostore.ie/p/myenergi-my-energi-eddi-hot-water-diverter/mehwd?cmp_id=20072927495&adg_id=&kwd=&device=c&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwps-zBhAiEiwALwsVYR3Zzu0tDHBSBZ9ua0HNBRgsF_OelWmw67EDSIJyhiEkkmAXQ2t97BoCy4AQAvD_BwE brings it to 2739, add in another 2k for installation brackets, leaves it at 4740.approx 1/3 the original price (excl grant) is the electrical install straight forward for an electrician? i can complete the mechanical install? i would have 4k to play with for paying the sparks

Advertisement