Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Multiple below standard and off topic posts deleted.

Do better..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I didn't realise that. Whoever runs in her place could literally be the only Green TD after the next election. They got councilors elected to all 6 LEAs in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown county council last week so plenty of options to choose from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They can run one in DL, one in Rathdown.

Assuming any of them are any good.

It doesn't matter who the Greens elect as leader out of the two that are running. They are only going to come back with between 1 and 3 TDs after the GE.

And yet another decade of rebuilding awaits them. As predictable as the tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

i don't think he has any chance of retaining his seat. Last time he only had to beat Ruth Coppinger (PBP), but in the next GE he will likely get fewer votes and the other parties with seats (FF, FG, SF) may have more candidates running in order to grab that 4th seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That grant is €3.5k now but...

Agreed OEMs were likely just holding the grant money, VRT exemptions etc to boost profits. I'd also imagine doing the reverse ie placing a tax on ICE cars would likely cause the same effect just that the price of all new cars would go up.

The only thing I can think of that would make a change is if there was a grant for importing EVs from outside of the EU equivalent to the duty and VAT.

We would then have a situation similar to what we had pre-brexit but only for EVs. Prices of second hand EVs would collapse and the new EV market would have to react similarly. Also the 1m by 2030 target might actually get met

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Choice between Pippa, the unelected minister no one has ever heard of or a Minister who ballsed up what should have been straight forward referendums.

Post edited by hotmail.com on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

He'll hold on, DW is now a 5 seat, his base is more Castleknock end, middle class vote, though he might suffer a bit from his harsh approach to some of the victims of the Mother and Baby homes. The FG candidate won't have the pull of LV too so he can benefit there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

also a luxury to live in the leafy Green Party strong hold that is Dún Laoghaire, serviced by excellent public transport, Dart, whilst lecturing all others for daring to live close to their family.

Woof woof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,638 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ryan is such a horrible politician and Martin not far behind.
    Yeh yeh we know they ‘are different’ self sacrificers for the good of the planet?’

Basically he has jumped leaving any new leader the poison chalice of getting a tanking in the GE.
    Why didn’t he stay on and take the brick bat for saving the planet himself?

God I’d be livid if I was a member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Why is he a horrible politician? I never saw a post from you criticized any SF TD.

Don't think Eamon did anything like this?

SF on the brain.

I made a comment on a Green politician on a thread about the Greens and you want to talk about SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

And I asked you to explain your post.

"Ryan is such a horrible politician"

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Ryan was absolutely hated (and feared) for years by many within the GP.

He's the epitome of a street angel.

This came from a conversation years ago with an old Greenie on the inside.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Because he jumped ship knowing a new leader was going to have to lead the party into a GE walloping for the policies/actions he and his deputy employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't believe that this is actually true. The Irish Times Inside Politics Podcast explicitly said that although she was not going for the leadership position but that she will be contesting the next election. Someone on there actually theorised that she might be biding her time until after the inevitable whalloping at the election - Green Party rules have it that there is a leadership contest soon after a general election.

Whomever gets elected now - it seems their main task is simply to lead the party through the election - attend the TV debates etc. Actually winning a seat would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@charlie14 I agree that importing wood to burn is probably a bad idea.

No hold on. You rubbished a very simple concept and you got called out on it.

When you burn wood you are burning carbon stored over the maybe 30 year life of that tree, and that tree can be replaced.

When you burn peat you are burning hundreds of years worth of carbon, which can in theory be replaced if we re-wet bogs… but it'll take hundreds of years

When you burn a fossil fuel you are burning stored carbon which would take millions of years to replace.

From your previous posts it appears that you think releasing millions of years worth of stored CO₂ into the atmosphere in only 250 years is somehow A-OK. You have no right to be throwing out silly questions left right and centre until you can convincingly explain that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,678 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are five seats now.

O'Gorman has a significant personal vote. If Varadkar steps down, I can see Chambers, Donnelly, Emer Currie (FG), O-Gorman being elected, with the last seat between Aontu and Coppinger.

FF and SF won't run second candidates, FG will only do so if Varadkar is running, which I very much doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭KaneToad

"Jumped ship" is such nonsense. The man is in his sixties, has been in public life more than 30 years and has significant domestic responsibilities with a son who has additional needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭csirl

ROG"s Ministerial brief could be a problem. Tusla/childrens services are a complete basket case - even worse than the HSE. Plenty of fodder for any opposition party who wanted to target a government Party Leader in an election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Firstly, asking what methodology do IPCC, friends of the earth, just stop oil, extinction rebellion etc. follow is simply not a silly question. These organisations, which make up a very small minority of the overall population, have huge sway in government policy which affects all of us to a huge degree. You saying that this is "silly" flies in the face of the most basics of scientific principles. If they are not following basic science, then they are no more than a cult.

Your points about burning stored carbon are purely anecdotal with no numbers to support it. Firstly, can you tell me what is a "normal" CO2 level and can you show that the current CO2 level is "not normal"?

CO2 levels have gone up and down for as long as the earth existed. When CO2 levels go up, the proportion of other gases i.e. oxygen in the atmosphere naturally must come down. When you have lower levels of oxygen in the atmosphere, you have less natural forest fires (which I can assure you, release more CO2 into the atmosphere than the entirety human existence ever could). Less forest fires means that the plant life can then extract more CO2 and restore the O2 levels.

The eco system is not a fragile little flower that all the environmentalist zealots will lead you to believe. It is a very robust system that fluctuates within a range. There is no "Normal" in the real world.

Saying that humans are the cause of, or solution to "a problem" with a system of such expansive natural wonder is the height of arrogance.

He is entitled to resign whenever he wants. Coupled with his deputy going in tandem, I think the timing is pretty awful and horrible for the membership.

He could have resigned at any time citing his domestic situation and responsibilities, which is something that every TD and leader has.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭boardlady

Really, I understand your response to the poster who cited the 'McMansion' in the back-arse of wherever, or words to that effect. I live rurally - because my husband is from the area and works in the area. Regardless of how or why I live where I do, as opposed to living in leafy D4 (where I grew up incidentally) or any of the smaller regional towns around Ireland, I don't understand why folks love to beat each up over what are actually irrelevant small details. In the grand scheme of things, if I drive my (very economical) SUV around all year but never take a flight out of the country, am I not doing better? There is so much finger pointing at how others live their lives, when in reality it is the consumption out of our everyday control that does the most damage. If flights around the world, large fossil fuel-guzzling industry and other such large scale operations that the great unwashed have absolutely nothing to do with and no control over were to be scaled down/ceased, then we would see meaningful changes. I'm not advocating that everyone do nothing and just give up - generally, most folks are doing their best within their personal and financial circumstances - but it's the lack of perspective and then wholesale greenwashing to pull the wool over our eyes that drives me mad!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But leaving aside the reasons that he gave, letting someone else have the opportunity to lead the party into a general election, especially after the recent elections, is politically mature - rather than he lead them into an election with people suggesting after that he should have stood down before it!

All a matter of opinion Seth. I just gave mine and imagined myself as a member.

Agreed, we have now have two government parties who can promise a fresh approach with recent new leaders. That makes a big change from a year ago, and changes the dynamics of an election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But this is the predicament he was in - he was criticised for staying and he was criticised for standing down.

Not directed towards you but why someone would want to try and help their country when all they get is abuse from hurlers on the ditch is beyond me. You may disagree with his methods but to be fair to him, he was doing what he felt was best for both Ireland and the environment. There aren't many politicians like that and that is not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Of course any politician is entitled to step down any time he wishes, but as leader of a party you have more responsibilities to the elected member of your party and to a lesser extend the membership, than just being a T.D.

From the reasons he gave I think it is pretty obvious he didn`t intend standing again for re-election, so him doing so now, especially after the local and E.U. elections, which most likely will bring the next G.E. date forward, doesn`t give a new leader much time to make their mark. Especially when you look at the two in contention where it`s difficult to see either making any significant mark in that time.

Had Catherine Martin stepped up then perhaps it would have been different. But why you stay on for four years as the deputy leader when you don`t want the job of leader is beyond me. Communications between her and Ryan couldn`t be that poor that she didn`t know that he was not going to stand in the next G.E. The whole debacle makes the Green Party look very amateurish with the left hand not having a clue what the right hand is doing.

Edit. Now I just saw where Catherine Martin is not ruling herself out of standing for leader after the general election, where as far as I know there has to be a contest within the 6 months after a G.E. It`s descended into farce at this point.

• Advertisement

Every politician I follow gets abuse on social media and I follow quite a few across many parties.

I am most certainly an advocate of green ambitions but I would not agree that he has been a good representative of them. He has divided more than he has sought consensus. I think they pay the price for that.

Advertisement