Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Doncsicso

I don`t know if it applies to the phev version… I`d assume the gearbox would be different on those. And as zg3409 said, Phil is at Earls motors and they are great at fixing EVs and they are very reputable, at least that is my personal experience and heard the same from others I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anybody here experienced excessive tyre wear on REAR axle? RHS especially. Tyre pressure's never been too low nor too high, despite that, after just one year of driving, all 4 grooves on the tyre are still 3.5-4mm deep while the part between the INNER edge of tread area and nearest groove already shows a cord. Both LH and RH sides are affected, however RHS is significantly worse.

I'd rather expect outer part to wear quicker, as well as front axle, not rear, so I wonder if traction is OK? Or something else perhaps? Would such an issue be warranty covered?

Niro EV, built Oct 2021, registered Jan 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm interested in this one as well as I have a very similar issue with a Kia Soul EV. I was shocked when it failed the NCT recently as dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CivilEx

When did you have four wheel alignment done on the car last? I've no idea if there is a known issue with the geometry of the car, but this looks like a classic wheel alignment issue to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Recently replaced all four tyres on our Mar 2020 car. All wear was very even. Also, just did it's NCT recently and no issue with alignment

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Sorry, used wrong words, I meant alignment, not traction. And it has never been done yet. Question still remains open - if it'd be covered by warranty?

You mention one year of driving but the car is 2.5 years old. Were new tyres fitted to the car one year ago, what warranty did you get and from who - the dealer or a tyre fitter?

You aren't giving enough information here but as you describe the issue, it seems like wheel alignment/ maintenance is the problem and that's up to you.

I would never fit a new set of tyres on any car (ICE or EV) without doing four wheel alignment at the time of fitting - it typically costs €40 and some tyre fitters will throw it in for free if buying four tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can get alignment checked and set at back street garages for like 50 euro. I doubt it will be covered under warranty. Check actual tyre pressure is correct as per driver's door and that's cold pressure. Pressure also varies by no load and full load, see paper manual.

Either way you may need new tyres. Avoid dealer.

Rumours of a price drop this week for brand new niros, as in official price drop for Irish cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Significant price drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Not 100% sure but I think around € 42,500 before close to a 10% drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That is quite a drop there for the EV. About 10%, I reckon. Is there a refresh coming or just an offloading of stock before the EV3 arrives, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

We don't know what price EV3 will come in at.

But it may well be that the target market price of big battery EV3 is requiring a realignment of the Niro price.

Who'd want to buy a Niro 64 kwh at 42500 if an EV3 81 kwh is similar money for newer model, more range and superior charging.

Now as I say no one knows what the EV3 price will be.....

But its another potential possibility

Unregistered Users

First thing - thank you. :-)

Well, obviously, new tyres fitted one year ago. I expect car to behave as it's supposed to, excessively uneven tyre wear is a huge no-no. And, obviously (again) I'd expect a dealer to cover it, not tyre fitter. What fitter would break while fitting a set of new tyres? Especially that's the same fitter me and ms jou are using for more than a decade and never any problem whatsoever. :-P

I would never even check wheel alignment while changing tyres unless there is a problem. I'm afraid it definately won't cost 40 or even 50 euro. I paid more 5 years ago for 4 wheel alignment, and it wasn't at the dealers. Me and ms jou both had more than 10 cars in the period of last 20 years and this is the first one that she has from very new, and at the same time the first one that gave us aforementioned symptoms.

Thank you too.

As I already mentioned - tyre pressure's OK. We both check tyre pressure regularly. And please give me address of the one properly setting 4 wheel alignment for 50 quid, preferrably Sligo/Mayo area. Would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, she already got new tyres, but will not fit them until things are sorted.

The last time I had wheel alignment done, Togher tyres in Castlebar did it for €40, although I was getting two €250 run flats fitted that day on a BMW 520D! It will be another six months or so before I go for tyres again, so I'm not sure if they are as well stocked on EV tyres.

Just to confirm, you're all talking about wheel alignment and not wheel balancing ???

You'd expect wheels to be balanced when tyres are replaced, but there's a decent amount of work with just the setup to start alignment I would have thought, in addition to expensive equipment to be covered in the cost

If that was myself you were asking - yes, the last time I had it done, wheel balancing was included in the cost per tyre and four wheel alignment was an additional cost of €40 which takes about an additional 15 mins or so. I shop around, but always buy tyres at a tyre fitter so that they are responsible for supply, fit, balance and alignment. In my experience this works out far cheaper than having a main dealer doing it and minimises the risk of shortened tyre life through misalignment.

Totally pointless asking a main dealer. They wouldn't have that don't of kit I wouldn't have thought

Unregistered Users

FYI: 4 wheel alignment 80 euro in Sligo. Ms jou accepted the price and had it done. I bet they would give a discount if you buy tyres from them, but we always buy online - cheaper and choice is much better.

Speaking of tyres, anyone go for Hankook, and if so, what sort of milage when compared to the Primacy 3's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was just looking at the niro EV specs online and noticed that they no longer do a K4 version of the EV. What's that all about? It's been replaced with a K3 Special Edition but it isn't obvious to me what they've removed from the K4 spec as I can't find the old spec online anywhere.

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

K4 had an electric tailgate, ventilated front seats in addition to heating and also heated rear seats. I think it also had a HUD, dual zone climate control and different wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Hi

I'm interested in a kia niro Ev as my next car. Currently I drive a ID4 . Would niro range be okay for trip from kildare to Mayo (260 km). I have a charger at that destination. Anyone out there know if real range could make that in winter and summer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, we'd fall just short of a 320km round trip in winter at motorway speeds, but 260km shouldn't be an issue. I'd have thought that moving from an ID4 to an eNiro would be a strange move though? Is there anything in particular you think the eNiro will offer you over the ID4?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Ya I suppose it is a strange move alright but I was lucky enough that I got ID4 1st edition with all the added features as a company car. My lease is now up and I only have option of ID4 pro basic and the majority of features are now part of packages you must purchase. I am finding it hard to justify the cost of these in comparison with Kia niro.

The big advantage with ID4 was I never really had much range fears on drive to Mayo.

Not sure how others feel, but I certainly think the Kia GOM is pretty accurate. So if it says you have 450km range, that's pretty close to what you get

Range depends on energy usage of car, which is mostly speed dependant, battery size and temperature. The Niro 60+kWh battery should easily do 260km in winter at any speed. In worst case head wind, freezing you might need to slow down but unlikely. The GOM is based on recent trip efficiency and recent trips may not be high speed trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

What delivery charge can be expected from kia? listed for 38,665 , I got a price of around 43500 otr.

38665 plus metallic paint 600e = 39265e gives delivery charge of 4,235e

I'd expect 1 -2k delivery and even at that I would try get discount.

Straight deal , no trade in or finance.

Advertisement