Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Remember when it hit Italy and all those people got really sick, loads died and we all saw the footage with patients lying chest down on ventilators? It's only a few years ago, there's actual news footage of it at your fingertips, you don't even have to pick up a history book or visit a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A gish gallop of dubious claims, supported not with actual evidence but with the old chestnut, the unverifiable family member. We see these tactics peddled on social media against covid and other topics.

Not just an anti vaxxer, but not it is full on covid denial coming through. Amazing how the package goes together isn't it?

But sure, let's be "brave and honest" and ignore the factual scientific evidence presented, in favour of unverifiable information from unverifiable sources.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

I agree completely. A lot of the hysterical pro vaxxers are as militant as the hysterical anti vaxxers. Most people i know including myself are in the middle on the Covid Vaccine. But middle ground is not tolerated by the far right and left.

Desperate attempt by an anti vaxxer to try to claim the middle ground! From someone who has been peddling anti vax propaganda over the lifetime of this forum, under the obvious "just asking questions" shtick. Not fooling anyone.

The middle ground in Ireland was and is pro vaccine, unlike whatever agenda you are peddling.

The hysteria was in the blatant scare mongering about the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

The thing that disturbed me most about the anti-vaxxers is they couldn't see who were pushing their buttons and so became ready recruits for far right libertarian elements. Saw it happen to a few of my ex-friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

You are like someone with tourette's ticks with your incessant repeating of cliches or tropes. 'Scientific evidence' or 'anti vaxx' has to be spewed out every minute or you go into cardiac arrest is it? The latest one is a 'gish gallop' one more of yours. Come on pal. Seriously can't you have an adult conversation without 500 labelling cliches every sentence? It's actually OK to use normal adult words you know this right?

I of course do have a family member work with the mentally ill I care not whether you believe me or not but if it means that much to you I can 100% prove it in DM's but I respect her privacy so wouldn't give her details to total strangers on the internet but if it's really really important to you I of course can 100% prove it.

For the record I don't deny covid that's made up by you and I'm not really 'anti vaxx' whatever that means I think people should have a choice in the matter. I know it's a alien concept to you personal choices and freedoms but they actually do mean something to some people you know.

As regards covid lockdowns affecting the mental heath of people the evidence is overwhelming with brave mothers coming out and stating very clearly the lockdowns affected the mental health of their children and sadly some committed suicide but you will have some way of spinning it that they are 'anti vaxxers' or 'covid deniers' or some other rinse and repeat cliche that's cold and callous to the victims with your usual spin and cliches. Perhaps you will tell us they are all making up their stories for some 'anti vaxx' agenda who knows? If you think lockdowns did not affect people's mental health you are 100% delusional pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you want to know which people are holding to an unsound position, just look at the language they use. If they are throwing out insults, sneering, trying to demean and infantilise others then it is a pretty good sign that they know their position suffers under scrutiny and so want to avoid the discussion.

This thread is a perfect example, the bile being used by certain posters says everything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Ok ill bite. A few questions just to see how middle ground are you. As I believe you are one of the militant pro vaxxers.
    Do you believe there was any cohersion or pressure for general public to get the Vaccine.
    Were you in favour of Vaccine passports or indeed mandatory vaccination.
    Do you believe everyone should have got the vaccine? Including not a risk cohorts with good immune systems like kids and healthy adults?
    Do you believe it was the vaccine or milder variants of Covid that brought about the end of the pandemic?
    Do you fully trust the pharma companies and new Tech like mRna.
    Do you believe the vaccine was sufficently tested long term.
    Do you believe any healthy person suffered severe short or long term side effects from the vaccine including death.
    Do you believe anyone who questions any aspect of the Covid vaccine to be an anti-vaxxer?
    Are you fully vaxxed and what is your opinion of persons who have taken 1 or 2 shots and not taken boosters? Are they (the vast majorith of people) anti vaxxers/uneducated/ignorant too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Qualifications in Biochemistry, Immunology, Biomolecular and Biomedical Science, but you are probably right, haven't a notion. Most people on the street understand the basic concept of how vaccines work, they don't need a qualification, in my opinion, the basics are not complicated and almost everyone over the level of 1st class in national school should be able to comprehend the basics once explained. The internet is wonderful in that regard, in that you can actually read up on how and why things work the way they do. Apologies if my attempt to explain it in layman's terms went over your head about how a) yes there are negatives in a small (and I do mean small) number of cases and b) those negatives at a population level are far better than the negatives of no vaccines. I would highly recommend a bit of time on the likes of Wikipedia. Gives a nice general overview. There is also a great video I will try and dig out later (or hopefully someone else can) with a comparative diagram of two islands, identical in every way, and what would happen if one was fully vaccinated and one had zero uptake. It was pre covid and I can't remember the vaccine but the principle on how it works in regards affects on population was a nice way of explaining things.

And here is another thing people don't like, age. As you get older, particularly passing certain thresholds, you tend to get sicker, easier, with bigger consequences.

• Advertisement

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, there are certainly things that could have been done far better that would have put less of a strain on us as nation mentally and physically. But there is that issue of it being hindsight, people didn't know, so the choices made were made with the best available info at the time. There are 100% things that should have been done differently which there was no way to know at the time, so couldn't have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Not ashamed of getting the shots.

But cannot understand why Pfizer don't have to release their data for 55 years.

As a scientist myself, thete is no reason other than to avoid prosecution, to withhold test results.

We were lied to from the beginning about masks and about the vaccine efficacy.

Scientifically, there were no vaccines, just post infection therapies.

I won't take any future Covid vaccines, unless the data can be independently reviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

'Qualifications in Biochemistry, Immunology, Biomolecular and Biomedical Science'

Of course you do. 😉 I find it very very hard to believe this when you cite Wikipedia as a credible source you then cite a 'video' of a vaccine you can't remember.

So all these qualifications and you can't remember things and use wikipedia as a source? You rattle on about National school but here's the thing pal. Children can even remember things they cite and source and you with all these alleged qualifications can't so forgive me for being dubious with your claim as your memory seems to be incredibly feeble and don't you have to remember things to get all these alleged qualifications?

You do realize anyone at all can edit Wikipedia? If you want to sound arrogant and sanctimonious and wave about alleged qualifications as a club to beat others with it's probably best you do remember videos you reference and it's probably better to not use wikipedia as your source for your 'expert opinion' as it kind of lets the cat of the bag you know.

If I believe you haven't a clue so what? You think the same of me so it goes both ways. A mutual agreement if you will.

As other posters have mentioned: "The choices made were made with the best available info at the time."

I don't necessarily agree 100% with all the decisions made, but I understand the rationale for them, they were reasonable actions to take and were taken in good faith. I think any poll would show that such a position has the broad support in the country.

I reject the premise that the Irish government \ medical authorities position on vaccines was militantly pro-vaccine.

There was no coerion in Ireland. There was legitimate social pressure applied with vaccine passes, and it was legitimate of governments to seek to reduce risk associated with high risk activities such as hospitality and travel via regulation of vaccine passes.

It was reasonable for vaccines to be rolled out to lower risks groups, because it both reduced their risk of putting strain on the health service, protecting them and others. Vaccinated people were at lower risk of infection and were less infectious, for several months after vaccination. This was important in the periods they were rolled out.

Both vaccines and milder variants were needed to bring about an end to the pandemic, at least without far more significant deaths and societal impact during 2021.

The vaccine was sufficiently tested, I reject the premise\requirement of 'long term' in the context of the impact of the global pandemic. I trust the oversight of government bodies of what was done here.

There have been serious side effects from vaccination, including death. No medicine, vaccine or treatment is 100% safe. However looking across all the data shows that the benefits of vaccination far outweighed the risks of covid. Where specific issues or concerns did emerge about specific vaccines and cohorts, the medical authorities were vigilant to this and responded appropriately.

Someone who sincerely questions specific aspects of the vaccine program is one thing.

But someone who questions pretty much all aspects, does so not based on the data that justified it, but based on scaremongering without foundation, kneejerk distrust of 'Big Pharma', only ever talking about vaccine side effects never its benefits or balance of risk versus covid... that's an anti vaxxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've had the vaccine every six mths since it became available and no ill effects,

Both my wife and I had a light cold and wife had to go to the doc for bloodtests so tested before she went and she tested positive so I tested as well and was positive. It presented as a light cold and I'm convinced the vaccines was the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

You keep saying the benefits outweigh the risks, this is only remotely true if you consider the health profile of a 90 year old woman as identical to that of a 18 year old man and you use some dubious metrics about what constitutes a covid hospitalization. For the 18 year old man it has been shown that the risk of myocarditis is significant and has been acknowledged by the companies. The risk benefit is simply not there for young people. The fact you think a young person should take a negative risk with their heart for hypothetical lower transmission benefit that was never observed in the real world is disturbing.

And as the poster above said, the word salads are mental….

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi Frumy,

You keep making claims in the thread and then ignoring when anyoen asks you to back them up.

You have ignored my follow-up question now twice. Can you please answer?

Can you show us where Aztra Zeneca said they were removing the vaccine form the market because they knew it was not effective?

I feel like you've just made this up, but am open to correction.

Or should I assume at this point you realise you've been caught out in making it up and you're ignoring me because you CAN'T back yourself up, and rather than own up to it yo would rather stick to your guns and ignore while making other things up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Honest question. Where are we now with the boosters? What age cohort are recommended to get them and how often? You don't hear much about the recommendations now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If it's an honest question, why not just check the HSE website?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Media sensationalism, Italy has an extremely elderly population, average age of those who died from Covid is eighty five, that's older than the average life expectancy

Jesus the paranoia. Go on then, send me the link to the latest recommendations. I never read the HSE websites during Covid - just watched the news and listened to radio.

Not sure what I said or did could be classed as brave, you are absolutely correct about how it killed so many small businesses and sort of screwed up society in an underreported way

Dan o Brien ( hardly a radical) has repeatedly highlighted how deaths this year and the last few years exceed the number of deaths in 2020 , all completely ignored by the media of course or at least RTE

Not at all. The benefits of vaccination versus risks were assessed by health authorities, both risk of the individual and levels of virus in circulation at the time (which is a factor in risk also). This is not some invention of mine. This is the fundamental basis on which the rollout took place. So if you're going to make specific claims contrary to that, where is your evidence? At present your claims have zero standing or foundation. There was no cohort were vaccination was recommended where it had a negative risk profile to the individual but outweighed because of an expectation of reduced transmission. None.

Nowhere have I posted anything suggesting the risk profile to be the same, so spare us nonsense about "word salads are mental" and faux concern about 'disturbing'

The study found that common cardiovascular complications of COVID-19 — including blood clots, stroke, arrhythmias and heart attacks — were substantially reduced in the vaccinated group, with protective effects lasting up to a year after vaccination.

https://theconversation.com/cardiovascular-risks-and-covid-19-new-research-confirms-the-benefits-of-vaccination-226130

Sorry, I don't answer loaded questions and that one breaks the scales

• Advertisement

Being vociferously pro vaccine - pro lockdown is often part of the broader militantly progressive politics position

The Ukranian, trans flag in the profile bio and or course some goon wearing a mask in profile pic

It's a sort of liberal respectability coat of arms, very predictable folk who always know what to think but rarely how to think

Advertisement