Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Stop Just Stop Oil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Angeleena

PETA were all about shock tactics and all it did is put people off them and offend some.

There are getting so predictable yet they never seem to offer a reliable alternative to oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think people are getting a little fed up.

Problem is if the law / judiciary have empathy and treat these people with kid gloves, it just encourages more of these acts and more people to join in. Hopefully some sort of custodial sentence even for a couple of weeks.

It’s not spreading awareness and deep down these protesters know that. It’s them angry at society and this stuff is a way to let off steam and of course in this day and age, attention is currency more then ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its just attention seeking no idea why they havent been arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

By creating this thread they will say it is working, the couple of people who infiltrated them show they are just desperate for attention

So ignore them and they go away,

They are what my father would call "gobsh*tes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The heroes of East Wall were blocking the port tunnel at rush hour and the road into the airport last year and no one gave a sh*t or was calling for jail and police beatings. They had their children with them too.

If it was climate protesters people would be going mental. I don't agree with JSO tactics but at least their concern is the existential threat of climate change and not some foreigners moving into their area.

• Advertisement

Not sure you are going to get much support on trying to bring racism into environmental topics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Anyone know how these clowns got to Stonehenge? Did they walk/cycle or get … a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm just saying. The posters on here will call for long jail sentences and beatings but were OK with extreme protests like blocking the port tunnel when they agreed with the protest.

On a side note I was at stonehenge a few months ago, it's pretty cool if not a little underwhelming and 22 pounds to visit which is really steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Its up for debate whether their actions are effective or not.

Judging by this thread, it is being effective: What they have done has people talking about fossil fuels. People are repeating their name and message: "Just stop oil". Even the first post of this thread brings up the topic of environmentalism.

The downside is that although what they are doing is close to harmless (orange powdered chalk on tables at a snooker championship, colored cornstarch on Stonehenge, temporally stopping traffic and sports tournaments etc) there are those who get annoyed by their disruption and could solidify their position against ending our reliance on oil.

However, there is a much larger proportion of the population that is sleep walking towards climate change. What groups like these do is get the population to start paying attention to it and discussing it.

The Suffragettes followed a similar approach for womens rights. But they were far more militant, sometimes even committing arson and bombings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I saw plenty saying those gòbshites at the port tunnel just needed a good clatter of a few cars to put manners on them + the children needed to be taken into care for their own safety........

• Advertisement

What it has done is reinforced the idea that environmentalists are mental

I love history, any dickhe*d at this deserves a good whopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

if someone is driven away from environmentalism by this then they realistically didnt give much of a sh!t in the first place……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Trust fund uni kid stunts that most people just roll their eyes at. Go blow up a pipeline in Saudi altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so i'm not the only one who would think there was nothing wrong with this, it seems?

fair play to JSO. i can remember all the (justified) lamenting about the fire that burned notre dame; yet if it was discovered a week earlier that a species of animal found only in france had gone extinct, it would have barely registered one percent of the coverage notre dame got.

i'm not sure if that was the pivot for JSO to start non-destructively targetting cultural or historical icons, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was. people give more of a **** about a single painting than they do about the natural world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Concern for the environment is a given for any serious political party outside the UK & the US and that is not going to change.

I don't for a minute consider this group to actually be an environmentalist group as to the best of my knowledge they have never actually taken direct action against any of the companies causing environmental destruction. They seem to be more interested in taking part in sensational civil disobedience than in furthering any cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good point. Perfectly outlines the contradiction from these types and of course, as you can see, all they can do in response is deflect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Concern for the environment is a given for any serious political party outside the UK & the US

the word 'serious' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. our three largest political parties have not shown they care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They might actually get somewhere if they put themselves forward to be elected and in a position to force change.

Being a nuisance won't change anything, they just look like they have a few screws loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Notre Dame cathedral burning down was one of the cultural tragedies of our lifetime. It's the art version of what's happening to nature. There's no coming back from that. Things lost to future generations forever. You're allowed to be upset by them both. I know I am :(

As someone with a huge appreciation for art, all Just Stop Oil are doing at the moment is alienate me from them. I'm starting to see them more as attention seeking protestors for hire looking for their fifteen minutes of fame rather than actually genuinely being concerned about the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Imported from Wales, 60 miles away. Half the age of Newgrange. That colouring will wash off, like used in Diwali.

It's the art version of what's happening to nature. There's no coming back from that.

i know this is going to sound like i'm diminishing what happened in notre dame - but you can repaint a painting, for example. the value of a painting is in the image it portrays, more so than the materials used to create it.van gogh's sunflowers has enormous cultural cachet, yet how many people have seen the actual painting? they've seen reproductions; what we're prizing in this instance is the physical original - which deserves to be preserved, don't get me wrong - but in the end, it's just a painting.

here's a list of recent extinctions. for someone who cares about the environment, every entry on this list may as well be a da vinci painting hacked from its frame and thrown onto a fire, with one crucial difference; this is life, once it's dead, it's gone. with a painting, we still, especially today, have a microscopically accurate idea of what it looked like to recreate it.

https://www.ifaw.org/international/journal/18-animals-recently-extinct

and as mentioned - stonehenge has suffered zero damage, nada, zilch.

i notice keir starmer has joined the pearl clutching brigade, trying to out-tory the tories.

newgrange is roughly 5,200 years old. stonehenge - well, the famous circle of sarsen stones - is about 4,500 years old AFAIK. not quite half the age of newgrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also the hundreds of people who died from the heat this week…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Given your above comment I don't think you appreciate original art in the same way other folks do. The value of a painting is 100% not in just what in portrays. In that case reproductions would be worth the same as the originals.

What I and others find so valuable about originals is that they were created by the hand of a master. That they stood in front of they same canvas and created it with their hands. It creates a connection to them through time. You can't recreate that. Much like extinct creatures, once it's gone it's gone.

Stonehenge was created by our ancestors thousands of years ago. It might just be a lump of stones to some but it's literally a connection to the ancients to others. It shouldn't be vandalised.

I totally agree with the sadness of losing species but I suppose if I wanted to take a cruel approach like your one to original art, evolution by its very nature does the same thing. Nothing is static and entropy gets everything in the end. But sure it'll spring new life to replace is so I suppose that's all grand isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

ISIS burned down a library in Mali about 10 years ago. Very little of their history was digitised and ISIS effectively wiped out most of the country’s history. Barely a peep about it over here.

The UK can bring in laws to stop climate protesters from blocking roads etc but no law is going to work against floods that are becoming more frequent and block roads, destroy homes

The general public has their heads in the sand over the climate crisis. Just Stop Oil and XR etc are trying to highlight this. 50 years of scientists politely pointing out what has been happening has yielded very little positive for us.

Oil companies have bottomless pits of money for PR and newspapers rely on them and car companies for advertising revenue.
    Those fú€kers don’t have our best interests at heart, they are just very good and making us think they do and turning us on one another. All while separating us from our money.
    The air everywhere in the world is polluted by fossil fuels and there are microplastics literally everywhere including inside us. They have us turning against cyclists and thinking some protesters are the problem.
    People are incensed about some rocks in the middle of England getting a bit dirtier than they already are. Get some perspective.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Outside of the US, UK, and I would say Russia, China, India, and large parts of Africa. Maybe most of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OF course their actions aren't working.

We are using more oil than ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Methane hydrate releases will probably do us all in the short to medium term. Happy googling.

• Advertisement

In that case reproductions would be worth the same as the originals.

given your comment i don't think you appreciate art…

that's a (hopefully lightly received) low blow, but originals are worth more because of scarcity. but financial value is hardly the best way to determine the value of art?

anyway, i clearly haven't been explicit enough that i value artworks greatly. i've just been trying to get the point across that a single living specimen of the golden toad, for example, is 'worth' more than a van gogh. one reason being that we cannot recreate the golden toad in any way, certainly not in the same way that we can recreate paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

The extremists tactics are the first "stage" of any movement. They have to be done to get attention from the wider population and start a conversation. Same as BLM or gay rights. It's bullshit what they are doing but as the stance of the activists soften more centre people will agree and policy wil change.... unfortunately it will be too late. Warming is bed into the system for the next 30-50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There is a rare type of lichen on the rocks, this has been damaged, so it is untrue to say there has been no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm convinced at this stage that Just Stop Oil is being funded by the fossil fuel industry in order to make environmental groups look bad and turn people against them.It's about the only thing that makes sense because what they are doing sure doesn't.

People using the argument they are looking for attention and therefore it is worthwhile because they are getting it for their cause are forgetting that they are turning average people off them and by extension environmentalists in general because they act look a bunch of entitled brats and scumbags by defacing items of importance.It also feeds into the notion that they are just a bunch of spoiled brats who don't really care they just have nothing better to do with their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

These people are just your stereotypical tree huggers i.e, got a screw loose. The fact climate change is real doesn't make this untrue. They don't do any good for their cause at all. As punishment they should be spray painted and left to clean if off themselves without assistance, see how they like doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

how is condemning criminal behavior… “ trying to out Tory the tories “ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Like Newgrange the site itself is old, but it ended up being re-purposed into what it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Putting the mental into environmental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Then Greenpeace would have been the first stage many years ago. Is this a really long drawn out continuation, or a restart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Wikipedia -

Funding

Just Stop Oil reports that all their funding is through donations,[9] with the group accepting both traditional currency and cryptocurrencies.[21] In April 2022, it was reported that Just Stop Oil's primary source of funding was donations from the US-based Climate Emergency Fund.[22] Through that fund, a notable donor to the group has been Aileen Getty, a descendant of the Getty family which founded the Getty Oil company.[23] In response, the Climate Emergency Fund stated that Getty did not work in the fossil fuel industry herself.[5]

In October 2023, green energy industrialist Dale Vince, who had donated over £340,000 to Just Stop Oil,[24][25] announced he no longer planned to fund Just Stop Oil. He said: "under the current government, protest cannot work. I would go so far as to say that anything that could feed the Toriesculture-war narrative is counter-productive".[26]

LOL - Old Oil money funding these eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

We can't recreate the Great Pyramid of Giza. Should this lot be allowed to attack that too?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If I was big oil I would secretly fund these trust fund losers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can't remember where they were going to destroy something and they posing for pictures on a plane.

They don't seem like the brightest bunch of people.

Newgrange is full of concrete and rebar, materials well known to neolithic peoples.

just look at Greenpeace who destroyed nuclear power and gave us three decades of more coal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd be surprised if the Russians didnt throw some money at the Greens there to close down Nuclear ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I wouldn’t be surprised either

They sure as hell pushed hard for Germany to be hooked hard on Russian gas and setup …. Environmental charities there

Report here

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/how-german-climate-fund-set-out-help-russia-dodge-us-sanctions-2022-02-10/

Then they went after Taylor’s Swift plane with … oil based paint 🤣

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/tKRE6nwDQd

That’s gonna piss off a whole generation of young women against the enviro “mental” cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A reminder that all estimates say that over 5 billion species have went extinct during the course of history. Billions of them.

Just to put into context emotive posting about a toad going extinct while Notre Dame burns.

Maybe not quite..

The group said: “Jennifer and Cole cut the fence into the private airfield at Stansted where Taylor Swift’s jet is parked, demanding an emergency treaty to end fossil fuels by 2030.”

Police sources said they had since been informed that the Shake It Off singer’s jet wasn’t at the private airfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Taylor Swift's plane seems like a fairly valid target really. At least there is a logical connection there.

Randomly attacking various pieces of art and culture makes zero sense. The only conversation they are starting is discussing how annoying they are and how to stop them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement