Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

So just to clarify, the pilots are going to work exactly what they are contractually obliged to work, no more and no less, and Aer Lingus are threatening to cancel flights as a result but also claim that they don't have a pilot shortage. And somehow this is all the pilots fault and not management's fault?? Can someone explain this to me please!

Also, isn't what other group's unions negotiate on their behalf the business of those groups, and nobody else? If this leads to a general strike and improved pay and conditions for everyone it's hard to see the negative in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If this leads to a general strike and improved pay and conditions for everyone it's hard to see the negative in that!

There is a contradiction in terms with the above statement

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pacman114

Good few flights cancelled today: https://www.aerlingus.com/html/flight-cancellations.html#?date=2024-06-20

Work to rule is not starting for another week though………………

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

They don't have enough pilots and clearly zero goodwill to paper over the cracks as has been done in the past. Even outside of official work to rule pilots don't have to answer the phone out of hours or accept voluntary duties.

• Advertisement

If that's the case then it's just actin the bollix. Act within the paremters of what has been outlined.

I'm going to assume them flights have been canx for an operational reason seperate to the WTR, but could well be wrong and indeed what you are stating could be a start of the disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

if IALPA picket the airport doesnt that mean all all IALPA members across all the airlines dont pass the picket too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That's a matter for discussion for every industrial action. Other union members would support them but equally pilots in other airlines are not in an industrial relations battle with their employer so have no reason to disrupt their business.

It would be more likely that other forsa members within Aer Lingus would not cross the picket.

Would there be staff using Forsa though???? I'd have thought IALPA had some kind of exclusivity of the EI pilots….I know i know people can become a member of whatever union they like, but i haven't seen Forsa mentioned in referance to this situation

Is that the case really ? A union is a union …. As you say a discussion but union members passing official union pickets has been known to get backs up

• Advertisement

https://www.c103.ie/news/c103-news-and-sport/aer-lingus-passengers-to-cork-left-stranded-in-palma/

It would seem the cancellations from Cork are due to an aircraft going tech in Palma last night. And I wouldn't class not answering your phone to your employer outside of working hours "actin the bollix", I'd call that proper work/life balance. You can see from the threatened disruption how much the pilots have been plugging the gaps over the years by taking calls and working on their days off to cover for the failures of management, and they've clearly had enough.

But is this a viluntary request, or an official request to work their days off?. I don't know the answer, is it?

With regards a phone call, they should be able to answer a phone OOO if it is to provide an answer to a question, or provide feedback that may be time critical.

They are very well paid professionals.

IALPA is a section of FORSA itself which would represent a lot of staff in other branches and industries.

From an IR perspective, there's generally an instruction comes from unions themselves to ensure everyone is clear regarding passing pickets or stopping people passing pickets as other people have their work to do. If an IALPA pilot for another airline didn't turn up to work, they could then be subject to disciplinary action for being a no show and AFAIK supporting other members in a different company wouldn't be a defense. But the union wouldn't let this situation happen. It's not like the coal miners and a lockout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I never said I support management. I support the Labour Court and I am most sympathetic in all this with affected passengers. Unions use the general public as pawns in industrial disputes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

For the people on here who have worked @DUB since the 90s, Would remember EI Staff going on strike and the staff at the main roundabout with the SIPTU banners. The people working for Servisair who were in the same union would drive by the EI staff going to work and the roles be reversed when Servisair go out on strike.

I remember this really well as my crowd was a non union company and i would have to drive through both picket lines at the time.

Most of the staff i deal with in both companies knew my hands were tied and i could be out of a job if i didnt carry out my job by passing the picket.

Now when it came to a picket line in a shop or some other place i never crossed the picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

Why would a pilot have their pay tied to that of cabin crew or ground staff? They are not really comparable roles with comparable responsibilities, risks etc. I can see why management would want that but it would never be acceptable to pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

Yeah this is all fair enough. There’s no actual strike dates announced so no picketing planned yet but it’s all relatively moot anyway - no staff from other airlines would be expected to also refuse to work in order to not cross a picket and they’d have no legal basis/cover to do so either. EI’s cabin crew might well choose to support the pilots and refuse to cross but it’s not like they’ll have any work to go to anyway. If the pilots strike then the whole op shuts down. There could be a cohort of management pilots who - willingly or not - choose to continue to go to work but it’s hard to predict how that’ll play out now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Wasn't sure if that was a real part of the deal.

Both sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

@faceman Fair enough, your post suggested you didn't side with the pilots so it seemed to me you probably sided with EI management.

The customer, in any business, is going to suffer during industrial disputes. It's not a step any union takes lightly. It has been almost 20 years since IALPA members at Aer Lingus threatened strike. So I don't agree that unions use the public as pawns in industrial disputes, it's a last resort. It's also their legal right to strike having gone through almost 2 years of fruitless negotiations.

Many people are seeing this dispute as it's being presented by management: Greedy pilots holding the company and customers to ransom looking for an enormous pay rise. They're not aware of the background: Year after year of under crewing, rosters being changed on a weekly basis making planning any home/social life next to impossible. Crewing being so under resourced that the company routinely chance their arm rostering duties that break internal agreements resulting in pilots being on edge having to double check their rosters every week. Text messages and phone calls regularly made to pilots on their days off asking them to work another day off. Overnight allowances that haven't been adjusted for inflation/exchange rates in years despite a requirement to do so. Pay scales opportunistically cut during covid for new joiners and a refusal to reverse that. Unwillingness to negotiate pay increases that reflect the huge increases in cost of living, sticking fervently to the line that everyone in the company gets the same regardless of their role (except management of course).

As for the labour court: I've made my feelings on that clear. They recommended going back to a process that had already failed to produce any progress. 22 months were spent in negotiations. Ultimately I'd say the labour court were trying to avoid industrial action, particularly during peak season, but their interim recommendation has the opposite effect on an exasperated pilot workforce.

• Advertisement

I think the point being made is that the unions can renege on past agreements on the grounds of fairness. Precedents have been set in other industries in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

if an inbound flight is delayed for whatever reason will the return leg now have to be cancelled because it takes pilots outside of rostered hours?

Exactly! 😉

But it can and does work both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

That depends on the length of the sector and how badly it was delayed. More likely on longer sectors to Greece, canaries etc. but would need to be significantly delayed.

Edit to add: in fact even a short sector is at risk if the pilots have already flown a couple of sectors that day and delays have accumulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I can recall some other disputes in Dublin in the past which caused the fire rescue unions to support the action. Effectively closing the airport for all airlines. I seem to remember there were pickets too, can't remember more specifics though. I can remember the airport was closed though.

The pilots would want to get home too I'd presume

A very valid point. It's all grand to be making a point but you don't want be stuck overnight abroad either. It then becomes difficult because you can't choose when to break union guidance when it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

That was way back in 1998 the Airport fire services went out in sympathy with the FR employees,From memory it was around the sunmer time.

As for unions and their members mad for going out on strikes,I know from my experience that it is the last thing they want to do. And people have to remember the big companies in Ireland are represented by IBEC the company union who muddy the waters.

Then the sindo with their articles attacking the would be striking staff, There was one such hack that had a horn for ESB&ESBI staff. With the usual average wage being €80k this was during the last recession. And the bean counters were messing around with the pensions.(Company wouldn't be liable etc) Also the same newspaper that attacked the Waterford crystal workers over their pensions.

And guess what the owners of the Sindo f**ked their own staff over on pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

Most customers just walk away from a business which can’t deliver for whatever reason. But Aer Lingus and its pilots have their customers by the short and curlies. Especially in the summer which is when we see all these air traffic control strikes. And that’s why we only see strikes in the public sector or similar.

If Aer Lingus mistreats its pilots as you say, there are lots of other airlines looking for pilots.

Why is refusing all overtime called “work to rule” by the media. Does Aer Lingus give contracts to their pilots which do not require overtime?🤨

Advertisement