Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef grazing 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

getting near the point of putting out bales to some of the stock here,..cold dry ground is nearly worse than hot sun I'm finding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

shocked at how poor grass growth is.
    spread fertile on a paddock two weeks ago with the intention of trying to take a few bales of silage if it in a few weeks. Think there was less grass on it night than 2 weeks ago. Even the lawn usually has my heath broke and there is feck all on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Even the ditches have gone back the last 2 weeks.

Quare colour in a lot of paddocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

thought grass jumped out of the ground today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Wet grass has fairly loosened the dung in them.

Only stopped raining a few hours ago. Was incessant all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

FIL has cattle back in the shed. Feck all growth around here. Pit silage done 4 weeks ago and you'd swear it was cut last week with the lack of regrowth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

When would lads give late March / early April calves their first dose ?

Presume the first dose would be a white one such as Albex.

Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I'm running cattle back onto silage ground, got slurry after cutting but still slow to come back.

Going to put out 20 units of Super Topper protected this week on grazed fields, hopefully a boost along with the predicted weather.

Won't be spreading much more after this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's about building immunity. It's worth while taking a few Egg counts for every 2-3 weeks. In 22 it was nearly the end of July when they got their 1st dose. Last year it was early July as lungworm was the problem. Lungworm won't show up in egg counts so it's using the ears to hear for coughing. The egg count is hand to show if coccidiosis is showing up. The key now is holding on to products that work and being clever when using them, no point dosing of no need.

Best plan is to have a chat with your vet to hatch a plan

Tight is the way it's here, I moved a small group of heifers to graze the sides for a laneway today, turned yearling heifers into a paddock that you could cut hay off if to strip graze. Plan is to stretch the rotation and make cattle graze hard for the next week. Slowing it down will give growth a chance to get ahead of demand. Temps are rising as the week goes on. Everything is set up to explode, due to soil temp, ground dry, background N, sufficient moisture only need warm air and sunshine. We could end up with higher growth rates for July than may

• Advertisement

Did you throw out any fertilizer before it takes off?

Half the grazing ground got 10 units of purea. It's on the point of exploding so no point of having too much for wraps

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grass10

Lack of fertiliser is probably a big issue with grass growth I am putting out approx 30 units of n per acre after each grazing heavily stocked and grass growing away maybe not as good as hoped but still growing fine with all the rain since last summer a lot of nutrients have been washed away so if you want grass it's not the time to cut back nitrogen

you are right. Where I’ve spread n it has grown. Where I haven’t spread it it has been slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Heard a lot of lads complaining of grass growth over the last 3 weeks. I had noticed the same. But the good oul rusher hasn't let us down, I cut them 2 weeks ago, i had the mower turned down to cut them into the butt, but fair play to them, they've managed to push back up by as much as 6 inchs in places again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Packrat

Cut them in May, they'll be back in a day. Cut them in June, they'll be back very soon. Cut in July, they'll be sure to die.

I find cutting them twice a year weakens them a lot and if they're cut early in silage ground, the grass smothers them.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I'm putting out 20 units pro urea + S on the fields grazed off, it's very slow at the moment.

I have the silage ground which got slurry with a good cover so hopefully should keep the stock happy until growth takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grass10

Regrowth is slow everywhere I use can or can+ with slurry I've never used urea and have noticed lads using urea seem to have poor grass maybe it's my imagination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Farmer Dan

If you strip graze a heavy crop of grass, is it as hard on the p & k in the ground the same as if you took a cut of silage off of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

NNo As the cattle dung is returning most of the P&K back in to the ground

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When is the best time to cut thistles. I usually weight till the bud for the flower starts to appear. Not open.

Would ye chance putting out fertilizer this evening b4 the rain tonight or if there's not enough rain tonight risk it getting burnt up early next week with high temps ?

Fertilizer is flying out the last week, I'd say it'll be fine even with a small bit of rain.

Mostly protected urea going out around me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

75% of the place covered this morning, back on fodder so need excess in the nxt 6-8weeks.

As the saying goes it won't grow in the bag

Moisture & temp☝️ should drive it on

Thanks lads - will lash it out this evening so as looking at recent forecast rain mite arrive earlier than expected next week now too.

Its not going to grow grass in the bag. I am putting out 18's on silage and grazing ground it PU based, CAN based would be ok as well. I have no issue spreading urea either later this afternoon evening especially on ground with grass cover

Slava Ukrainii

I’m putting out can as I write. You are after answering what I was going to ask. I’m out of can and only have urea left. I’ll go out with a tonne or two this evening on your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭V6400

Hard to know how to manage grass this year, went with about 30 units on around half of the grazing ground last night, debating now if i should go back and do more ground tonight and risk having a load of grass ready for grazing at the same time if growth does come and ending up going heavy but then if not spread for a week and growth continues slow grass will be tight and Ill be kicking myself for not spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dozer1

ground here is like a rock from the cold north wind that was there for a few weeks ground that got PU is just about growing but overall very poor response to what I've spread last few weeks

• Advertisement

That Is a 450 euro a ton bet. Grand going into covers 4" or more high where there is grass to hold the moisture 2-3 days. I think the PU breaks down faster than ordinary urea but as I said it will grow nothing I'm the bag

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement