Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭obi604

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thanks, that's still problematic. They should have a time period such as 11pm - 7am where the overstay counter doesn't apply. There's a big difference between blocking a slow charger at 7am and 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Nowhere near 20% I'm afraid

Todays prices

AC - 56.3c

DC 50kw - 64.7c

DC 100kW+ - 68.2c

Tomorrows prices

AC - 52c (7.6% reduction)

DC 50kw - 57c (11.9% reduction)

DC 100kW+ - 59c (13.5% reduction)

Average EVs will do 15kWh/100km and average ICE's will do 5L/100km so on a 3:1 average ratio of EV:ICE fuel costs this equates to 156c, 171c and 177c per liter of liquid fuel

That's a fair point, not sure I understand why they cap it at €22.50 either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting. Do you have the ability to produce this liquid fuel at home for free, or to fill up at home from your home tank at 1/10th of that cost for 90+% of your driving?

55 minutes charging a M3 on a 50kW charger, presume you're looking at a max of 45.83kWh. You are now paying €31 or 68c/kWh

I don't to be fair, but I also don't have the ability to do anything you mention while away on holidays etc. There are also many many people who are interested in going EV who do not have the ability to charge at home. Not sure today's announcement would help them make the jump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭obi604

thanks, good comparison

so essentially when all is said and done, Tesla is still a better option (very limited I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

AC charging is still way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

They have stated that they have no interest in AC charging. This is just sweating those assets while they’re still operational. I suspect most will be replaced by a low speed DC charger or removed when they reach end of life.

• Advertisement

Yes Tesla, Easygo Lidl, and Ionity with a passport and I think some others like Brite and Weev are cheaper options depending on the time of day etc

For a better comparison when charging was first introduced AC was 28.6c, DC was 30.5c and HP was 37c. The first increase brought them to 39c, 45c and 48c respectively so we haven't even gone back to those rates yet

I understand this to an extent, there's clearly more profit to be made in putting electrons into cars at faster rates. Lets take a nissan leaf for example you could charge most of these to an acceptable level in 30 minutes, that's 8 cars in 4hrs instead of 2 in the same 4hr timeframe if you had them on AC chargers. Obviously when you take into account the newer cars that can charge faster these margins can increase quite vastly

What I can't understand is why they haven't converted them all to DC yet, yes they've started converting some, peoples park in Limerick being the most recent example I've witnessed but there's still far too many AC based on the above

Well, to be fair, there's not going to be that announcement. My comment, while firmly tongue in cheek of course in its tone, was to indicate whether the fast/public chargers work out at 1.70, 2.70 or indeed 3.70 per litre equivalent makes little difference to the current userbase who for the most part charge infrequently en route and don't use these as a daily option. The ecars polls have shown this repeatedly. I don't think a 0.70 per litre equivalent is realistic, even in france when I was on holiday they had approx 40c per kwh and using rough back of the mind maths that's about 1.25 per litre equivalent. So to get to a sub 1 euro per litre equivalent you'd have to be literally cheaper than most day rates and then we're back to the bad old days when it was free and the network was clogged.

Fast charging has to be more expensive than domestic electricity. AC charging on the other hand, should be on a similar rate to the standard day rates. ESB have said they are not interested in more AC charging. One of the AC chargers I use a lot (chargepoint in rathfarnham) is a tethered 3 phase unit and is approx 35c per kwh. Realistically that's as cheap as being free, when you consider the costs of the unit, the support, and the electricity.

There are two completely separate products and use cases here, AC and DC charging. I've grouped them like that for simplicity, in actuality I think there's a big market gap for banks of 20-50kW DC charging at the likes of short term carparks, cinemas, shopping centers etc. A lot more cars can take 20kW DC than 20kW AC for instance, so there's more profit to make. DC charging (realistically >50kW DC) is for on route charging, should be expensive like motorway service station petrol. AC (and slow DC charging) should be competitive with but not cheaper than the standard electricity tariff.

If I had a few million I'd invest in two things (other than property of course), solar farms and a job lot of 25kW DC chargers. Like, buy 200 of them and work with someone like a network of kids playparks, or shopping centers network, or cinema chain, or an owner of short term carparks. Put like 20 per location, charge per kWh with no overstay fee. 25kW DC hardware is much cheaper than 50+, I could use battery backup to minimize peak demand, I don't know why the likes of easygo don't do this. With 20 per location it's aimed at local users as well as customers of whatever business is colocated. They would be like destination DC chargers. Not the type where you buy fast food and coffee to wait on the car, and instead one where the car charges when you're at a film, a meal, or the mrs is draining your bank account at new look or rituals!

Welcome to my ideal world of EV charging utopia!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

55 minutes charging a M3 on a 50kW charger, presume you're looking at a max of 45.83kWh. You are now paying €31 or 68c/kWh

Still easily worth it if it means not needing another charging stop further down the road…. Being limited to only 37.5kWh from a 50kW charger before incurring an overstay fee is fcuking bonkers in 2024…. this per minute system is much better for anyone that might need a little bit more than the 37.5kWh that can get in 45 minutes.

I also don't have the ability to do anything you mention while away on holidays etc.

I'm not sure what the exact figure would need to be, but you'd want to be spending a lot of your time away from home on holidays for it to have an impact on the savings of home charging vs public charging/filling up with petrol/diesel…

@Red Silurian "55 minutes charging a M3 on a 50kW charger, presume you're looking at a max of 45.83kWh. You are now paying €31 or 68c/kWh"

True, but that irks me a heck of a lot less than a flat 8 euro fee. Per minute means if I need an extra 3-10 minutes I'm more than likely to wait for it. Finish my coffee instead of rushing back. Most other providers that have 50kW units (eg the weev unit I used in Navan a few days ago) have overstay after 1 hour not 45 minutes.

And I still firmly believe their policy of no new 22kW AC chargers is bonkers…. yes there's a few others coming in and doing it in dribs and drabs, but eCars were (and still are) the most known of of all the charging operators.. they own the branding/association to EV charging in Ireland…. (I'd still see the odd posts online of folk being completely unaware of chargers outside of the eCars network)… They could and should be cleaning up in the AC charging space… installing them fcuking everywhere!! Discounted off peak rates to encourage overnight charging, thus helping balance the grid..

Between them and ESBN, figure out a way for 1 meter/mprn to feed 10-12 AC chargers and just get it done.. Does that hotel in Kerry have 25 separate meters for their 25 AC chargers? Do the 8 EasyGo chargers at Decathlon all have their own meter?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think they did some math and figured out it doesn't make sense as a commercial service. AC charging services usually make money by being paid to operate the service on behalf of a site owner. Contrasting with DC charging where the operator is paying a site owner for use of parking space.

Yes but then the cost benefit to a 50kW charger is completely lost in your case as 68c was the old HPC rate. It's also the rate of Circle K, AG and only 2c lower than charging at Ionity all of which charge much faster so your time saving is also eroded away

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes but, let's say I'm at a location I used to use regularly, Park Ri in kells. There's a 150kW HPC with one CCS and one Chademo plug. There's then one 50kW with one ccs OR chademo plug. Meaning I have 2 options in my model 3. To get home from Kells I need around 90%. I generally like to have lunch at park ri as they have lovely food options.

I can either charge at the 150kW, have to leave my food table and move the car at 45 mins or before to avoid additional charges, or I can charge leisurely at the 50kW.

There's also often the scenario at that location where the CCS HPC is in use, so I am left at the 50 by default anyway, so even if I'm not having a leisurely stop and am actually waiting for the car, I'd stay on the 50 rather than move to the 150 and pay the same per kwh rate (including the per min fee on the 50) anyway. The 3 charges at >40kW all the way to 90% or so anyway so it's not like the 50 is being underutilized.

• Advertisement

Still easily worth it if it means not needing another charging stop further down the road…. Being limited to only 37.5kWh from a 50kW charger before incurring an overstay fee is fcuking bonkers in 2024…. this per minute system is much better for anyone that might need a little bit more than the 37.5kWh that can get in 45 minutes.

45 minutes for most cars would get you an extra 200-250km, but importantly a lot of these 50kW chargers are located at single charge locations with single point of failure issues or 3 car "Hubs" in which queuing can still exist. ESB don't want anybody there trying to get to 100% while somebody is waiting to get home

I'm not sure what the exact figure would need to be, but you'd want to be spending a lot of your time away from home on holidays for it to have an impact on the savings of home charging vs public charging/filling up with petrol/diesel…

Provided you have home charging, yes… If we are serious about EV adoption we need to stop considering all potential EV owners to have home charging abilities

22kW ac make no sense. unless it's 2*11kW for a total supply of 22kW in which case it does, as most new EVs can do 11kW (16a 3 phase). Just need to make sure that such a charger is configured to allow 32a single phase as well.

7kW or 11kW AC make a lot more sense. No new cars take 22kW AC. These are not "fast" chargers they are for charging while parked. I think a mix of 7-11kW AC and 25kW DC (see my earlier post) is the way to go for non fast charging. 7-11kW for parking for hours like at a train station, workplace/business park, etc, and 25kW DC for a 1-3 hour dwell time like a cinema or restaurant.

I also think there's a place for a carpetbombing of 3kW tethered AC in carparks. Like they do in parts of the US and Canada for block heaters. Put in say 2 cables accessible from 4 spots, ad infinitum. We're starting to reach critical mass, especially around Dublin, where these chargers would be profitable. 3kW AC, even a lot of them, are not expensive to install. Even 7kW isn't particularly expensive, but 16A /3kW is ubiquitous in most carparks - look around and there's already a fair few CEE sockets already in all liklihood. When I charged my 24kWh leaf in Dundrum at the weekend when I went to the cybertruck, I used the paid for destination charger there from ecars. Directly in the spot was a blue 16A cee socket. If I had brought my adapter I could have charged from it for free!!

Yeah so it's a 3 car "hub" so much more preference for ecars for you to move on at 80% and not have anybody queuing after you. Although to be fair you are now paying less on overstay than you were so it's still a win.

At the same turn the guy who charges his Taycan at the 50kW in Dungarvan for 1.5hrs (I kid you not) will hopefully be much less likely to do it again if he gets a €22.50 overstay instead of an €8 one

If I'm drawing the max of the charger speed it shouldn't consider me overstaying. Why are my euros worth less than another customer, just because I was there first.

On the last point (folks without home charging) my mooted investment in 3-25kW of AC and DC charging mixed would solve this. Ecars will not do this, they have no interest or mandate in that type of charging. The mandate is with the local authorities now, there's even a central grant for it for the councils. Annoy your local recently elected councillor!

80%? When my car is literally drawing the peak speed the 50kW can output ? That doesn't make any sense. Move on when I'm getting (and paying for) 50kW, to let on someone else who will likely draw less.

80% as a threshold dates back to piddly leafs that were down to single digits in kW at 80% (I know, I drove my 24kWh leaf on a 250km round trip to dundrum at the weekend for the lolz). Modern EVs are usually much better, especially Tesla and most of the 800V cars. The taycan is a little exception due to the way it steps down the voltage but it still draws around 40kW to well above 80%

On the last point (folks without home charging) my mooted investment in 3-25kW of AC and DC charging mixed would solve this. Ecars will not do this, they have no interest or mandate in that type of charging. The mandate is with the local authorities now, there's even a central grant for it for the councils. Annoy your local recently elected councillor!

Your idea is a good one but it doesn't address the issue of price per kWh

Your car should be able to charge about 250km in 45 minutes, that's enough to get you to another charger at least and somebody who is behind you in the queue is therefore likely to spend less time queuing. You will be compensated with a lower charging cost for doing this under the ecars pricing model

I wonder could they somehow spin off the AC charging business, and possibly tap additional government/local funding to get it up and running….. the brand awareness they have is massive.. (having that ESB logo on chargers is a huge commercial advantage)

Surely theres an easier and cheaper way to do AC charging… Don't even bother about getting dedicated EV spaces.. just put a charger next to 50% os spaces on any street…

I came across these little green chargers in a hotel in Eindhoven sharing a site with Superchargers, loads of them… they can't cost as much as the current eCars AC chargers…

Absolutely simple AC serving spaces works, but that's where it comes in as a site owner value add instead of a company that wants to make money selling electrons to consumers. eCars got a lot of flak for the Tesco deal and pretty much stopped any AC rollout after that.

ESB don't want anybody there trying to get to 100%

No one is trying to go to 100%, yet would still fall foul of the 45 minute limit.

37.5kWh would get an ID.4 from 5% to about 55%

it would get my Model 3 SR+ from 5% to 80%

it would get a 100kWh Model S/X or Taycan from 5% to 42%

• Advertisement

But if I need 250km of real range not rated range to get home, should I leave and risk hitting another charging queue? No, I'll pay whatever the overstay is for the range I need!

And on the cost per kWh I did address that in my earlier post, the 3-25kW should be at or slightly above the standard day rate. So that folks without home charging can use it, but not too cheap that the cheapness encourages bad behavior like we had in the bad old days. Currently I'd say about 40c per kwh or so.

Advertisement