Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build Help

Options
  • 18-06-2024 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello I am looking to build a pc this summer. I have already made a pc list but I also need a new laptop. My price range is around €2000. My pc will cost €1600 of my budget so I am looking to downgrade the pc and put around €800-€900 into a laptop does anyone have any ideas on a good laptop / a pc that I can use for coding(Unity/Unreal engine 5) and a little bit of gaming.

As i cannot post links here is a list

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

$339.99

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler

$35.90

MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

$169.99

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

$112.99

Lexar NM790 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

$134.99

Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card

$599.99

Jonsbo D41 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

$94.99

MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

$112.99

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shimadzu

You could probably save about 200-300 euro by going down a tier on your processor, motherboard and graphics card. I know a laptop will not be upgradeable down the line but would you not be better putting the whole 2K into a laptop rather than ending up with two low to mid spec devices now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMXL2010

Thanks for the help. I see your point but as you said a laptop is not very upgradable. I will have to think further.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cornholio509

@BMXL2010 Is the main focus coding with a bit a gaming or a gaming PC that you can do some coding on ? IS been mobile optional or is it required ? My point here is it does make a difference . Another point to make is that AMD are launching the ryzen 9000 CPUs and chipset next moth . So expect to see current generation CPUs and motherboards drop in price .

1 . Last gen AM4 platform maybe an option . Ryzen R9 5900X with 32Gigs of ram will be cheaper . You could save a couple of hundred euro by going that route and getting a better budget for a laptop . Yes you give up on having a few more modern features in the current CPUs . But still a powerful PC .

2 . Just buy a powerful laptop . Blow the entire budget on the best laptop you can get . THis would allow you to save up in the meantime for a PC down the road . As is current GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are less than exciting and cost to much for the little performance they offer .

Now there are other ways around what you want to do .You can always rent a virtual PC with the hardware you need and work remotely and by a decent gaming laptop . There are online services out there that will allow you to configure a virtual PC for what you need . Dont know if this is an option .

On the other hand you could build a monster PC and get a cheap laptop and remote into the PC . No need for a highly powerful laptop since all your work can be done remotely on the PC if that is an option . All you need is a decent internet connection .

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

I go with the best gaming laptop you can get for 1600-1800 and get a USB-C dock, mouse, keyboard and headset. It won't be as good as a desktop for gaming but it will get you 95% of the way there. Then you can hold off and wait for the churn when the new hardware hits and prices fall. Might even pick up a half decent second hand deal.

While the GPU in the laptop will become less useful very quickly over time, everything else will be perfectly usable for years to come.

Hi Thanks so much for the help!! I am interested in your point about remote access. Would I be able to use my laptop to run unreal engine 5 for example from my pc without my laptop over-heating (or any other problems).also is there any drawback to remote access.

• Advertisement

Thanks!!! I am kind of in-between getting a laptop and a pc as I know a laptop would better suit my needs but a pc is more of a passion project as I have been saving up for a while to make one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

All processing still resides on the PC not the laptop in remote access/streaming usage. All the laptop does is decode a video stream, just like watching a high quality youtube video, so the heat is minimal. There'll be some slight latency added, but on a home network, it'll be close to unnoticeable usually.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!. This helped clear things up a lot.

Advertisement