Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Steel Repair/ Servicing

Options
  • 19-06-2024 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Thought I'd throw this out there (asking for a friend);

1988 Raleigh Corsa retrieved from attic. Generally in good condition but would need a complete service. Frame should be perfect, but anecdotally there are a few 'specks of rust' and wear of paint job which he'd like to get fixed.

Really just looking to get the bike back on the road. It still has its full original groupset, so other than cables (and possibly bearings here or there) it shouldn't require sourcing of parts.

Bizarrely, wheelset is gone missing (he'll blame his mother!) so that'll be something that he'll need options on.

Would anyone be able to recommend someone/ a bike shop in/ around Dublin (although not sure if that's critical) who'd be familiar with this kind of job? I know there are a few steel gurus on here, but didn't want to be presumptuous!

He says he paid IR£1,000 new for the bike back in the day… not sure if that tallies with the make/ model!

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Low end training bike with 501tubing .He definitely didn’t pay 1000( maybe £300-425 max?) .Is it the ‘pearl white’ or later ‘team colours ‘ white with blue/ red/ yellow stickers ? Nice bike but not worth investing much in unless of sentimental value .Even WITH wheels this , if found in unused / mint / ‘time warp’ condition would currently struggle to make €300-400 in a hurry .If ‘tired’ as your post suggests it’s barely worth €100 without wheels , if even . I wouldnt be spending a fortune on it …

If you’re near west side and it suits I can have a look .But even a cable change (depending on where you get your stuff )could end up costing thick end of €50 if any kind of relevant labour cost involved .A pair of wheels might be picked up for 30-70 but you’ll need a freewheel ( is chain rusty and seized ?Thats AT LEAST another tenner)and the pair of wheels of decent could cost €80-120 .( Compatability is an issue you can’t just pop into Decathlon and buy wheels for it )

Nice 531 ( a far more desirable tube set for frames ) or Columbus SL road bike classics ready to ride can be got for €200-400 and once your budget goes a bit higher you can be looking at very nice hardware .1000-1500 buys most people’s dream classic roadbike .Prices have dropped since pandemic boom

Sure stick up pics for more guidance if you like

I see 1988 so the ‘Team Corsa ‘ I remember going out for a spin with a Local lad who had one but was wary of us ‘racing types ‘ .He ended up crashing coming down Hellfire Club and getting a bang on the head .Nothing too serious but I don’t think he went out on it much after certainly not with me and my mates :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve is probably a good chap to ask about replacement wheels, but i suspect if you want the paint touched up, you'd be looking at a strip and respray anyway. if the bike is as 2011abc mentions, after that's done the bike would probably not be worth much more than the cost of that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks guys!

Yeah, even my own limited research had me suspicious of his claim that he spent €1,000. In his defence, he's 50 now and I'd say hasn't cycled since his 20s. He's not 'into' cycling so either one or other (or both!) of his descriptions of it as being a Corsa, or as costing him £1,000 in '88 could be a combination of not knowing what he was talking about at the time and age.

He's due to do some kind of Etape event later this summer, hence the idea of getting it back running. He's not looking to sell it at all, just thought that it would be nice to get it going again instead of spending a couple of grand on a new bike that's realistically not going to see much action. He asked me since he knows I cycle and has seen my bikes - I had to explain that there's been quite a bit of progress since 1988 so I'm not the person to talk to 😂

I'll see if he has any pics and throw them up here… he's mentioned it a few times over the years when the subject of bikes comes up, so I'm intrigued to see it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

If he's any way handy, it'd be a nice little project to get it up and running again, factoring in the cost of parts, but saving the cost of labour.

I'd be steering clear of respray as an option, that could get expensive. I'd be more inclined to ride it as is, let the war wounds show. Any small surface rust can be removed with some 00 steel wool.

And less of the age thing, thank you. You nearly have him in his grave at 50 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

LOL - I'm not much younger than him… was more referencing the passage of time since 1992 (which I'd guess is when he last rode it) 😂

I wouldn't have him down as handy… will pass on advice and see what he thinks. I might tell him its a pile of junk and offer him €100 for it 🙊

Maybe its a different Raleigh (Road Ace ?)And he did pay more for it new ?Anyway if hes eligible for Bike 2 Work scheme he can get a new bike at half price (or a tiny bit less)which will make his old machine seem pretty slow/lame/ a financial millstone .

Advertisement