Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Derry and Shels both going to Gibraltar. Good draws and should comfortably progress.

Shams on the other hand...I don't know. Vikingur finished 21 points ahead of Breidablik last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Would Icelandic league football be much stronger than LOI?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We should be beating Icelandic teams IMO, but it's probably not an upset when we don't (unless it's to a 2nd tier team).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Icelandic teams have won 3-1 in last 4 ties in past 5 seasons so they appear to be currently stronger than LOI. From those 8 games only 1 win by LOI teams courtesy of Bohs, 2 draws and 5 losses

In 2021 Bohs beat Stjarnan 4-1 on aggregate while Sligo lost to FH Hafnarfjarðar 1-3 on aggregate

In 2023 Dundalk lost to KA 3-5 on aggregate and Rovers lost to Breiðablik 1-3 on aggregate

Happy with that Shels draw, avoided the two most difficult opponents while getting a proper European away trip with good opportunity of going through but I still don't expect St. Joseph's to be any mugs so nothing guaranteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers will be underdogs for that one with the way they are playing. Feels like we have been slowly getting worse in Europe and have a bad feeling this year will be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

ffs it’s not like we’re playing Barca, last year we had loads of injuries, no Farugia or Clarke. Keep it tight in the away leg, no stupid give away goals. We’ve had plenty of good European results in recent years, got to group stages as well as beating teams with much bigger budgets like Brann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Coote has more playmaking ability than all those players named. In the games where teams park the bus against us, and we lack potency, Coote should have a better eye for a through ball to open up defences. If Duff gets the best out of him, he brings great link up play and general creativity. Could be the missing link we need actually.

He was playing in a circus at Bohs, he should be far better and more consistent at Shels, with Duff getting the best from him. Possibly our most important signing after Jarvis, could potentionally takes us up another level. If we were to get Wood back, it's some team/squad we are building!

After signing Coote I'm struggling to see how we would be able to fit in Wood unless some from the likes of Farrell, Ward or Hakiki were being let go which could well happen. I would rather we sign a defensive midfielder, if Coyle got a prolonged injury we would be toast there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

forgot about Keith Ward, that hasn’t worked out. hakiki I don’t think I’ve seen play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Hakiki hasn't had much playing time this season, a few sub appearances, but he's a decent talent and I think Duff is managing him well enough. No point throwing a yunfleh to the wolves when there are capable older players about the place.

He played more in the first season up and in the early part of last season before Jarvis came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Coote is obviously a different profile of player to the ones I mentioned, but so is Wood. So while I’m led to believe Wood is very much still a proper possibility, it didn’t really seem like we’ve needed both (unless Duff is planning to go back to the system he played last season with Moylan where Moylan wasn’t really a proper number 9, but played somewhat centrally).

I guess we will find out the plan fairly shortly.

If we’re signing both Coote and Wood and have all the players who I already mentioned (who have been depriving Hakiki of minutes already), I would be stunned if Hakiki is still at Shels in 2025.

He’d be getting minutes elsewhere in the Premier Division so why shouldn’t he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Of course we have a chance but we need to sort out how we're playing ASAP. Breidablik were miles better than us last year and we've gone downhill since then. A point Dan McDonnell has made in the past is he feels LOI sides who do well in Europe usually have a few players who are angling for a move abroad and on an upwards trajectory such as Mandriou, Scales, Lyons, Byrne, Burke, McEneff in the past. Currently the only ones you'd say really fit that bracket are possibly Farrugia and Burns.

We've had an amazing few years and I won't knock the players or staff, it has to come to an end eventually, but I'm definitely not the only one feeling pessimistic about Europe this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and a win in Iceland could give us a much needed jolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Round 2 for us, should we get past The Magpies, is against FC Copenhagen.

In for a hiding there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Josephs knocked Larne out last year and they have plenty of European experience. There's a chance 3 go through. But I wouldn't be surprised if 2 fell either. Shams getting knocked out seems the most likely.

Shams announced accumulated losses of €2.5million recently so it'll be interesting to see what another early exit from Europe and no Champions League next year does to their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think Hakiki will play an important roll yet. I can't see Jarvis staying next season. So we need to keep Hakiki, a natural replacement with far more to come from him as he develops.

Duff has let alot of other lads go. It's no coincidence he's kept Hakiki around, he's still there for a reason. Even when he came on against Sligo, was our most industrious player. Kept making himself available, and even with his lack of height, twice managed to get a header in with bigger lads all around him.

Jad has serious potential and it would be an absolute disaster if we let him go imo

The Irish league is muck so I don't put much stock in Larne getting turned over by them. St Joseph's Euro record isn't great overall and that Larne win is one of only 2 they've managed in 15 games. Shels should be comfortably winning a game like that.

I agree about Shams though. I think some LOI fans are treating the Icelandic league with the same low level of respect we've criticised SPL fans for showing to ourselves in previous years. They've proven over the past 5 years they have a strong league as the record vs the LOI Omeha posted above shows. We don't have any right to be saying stuff like "we should be beating these" or calling losses to Icelandic sides "embarrassing" these days. The league could use a big win against them.

Id fancy all 3 LOI teams to go through individually, but all 3 ties will be live enough that I’d be surprised if all 3 actually make it through. 2 out of 3 sounds about right. Please just let Shels be one of them.

IF we win, Copenhagen will hammer us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers will need to up their game considerably from what we've seen so far his year to have any chance of progressing, to the extent I genuinely don't see it happening & it being a repeat of last year, one & done.

Too many players out injured or only coming back from injury & being in a poor run of form with goalkeeping issues is not the place to be coming into a european tie. I'd say Rovers chances are slim at best.

Other 2 should progress, great draws in fairness.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I mean, we're in the same boat - Zurich will hammer us if we somehow manage to get past Joey's

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

The Shams figure are actually worst than that.

The loss for 2023 season was announced as €2.365m bringing accumulated losses to €3.942m.

Duff has signed an extension at Shels.

What brilliant news for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

I wonder does he know what his wages will be now.

it's a weird comment, Duff is fairly obviously a really well off person given he played for Chelsea under Abramovic, and a couple of other Premier League clubs in his career. He doesn't work for Shels to put food on his table, unlike every other manager in the league.

The money he's paid to be the manager of Shels is probably a small fraction of his overall income from whatever he invested his considerable fortune in.

I think it's not a ridiculous assertion from him, he doesn't need to work, so why would he even care what tuppence ha'penny contract the club offers him, in the scheme of things. He's probably worth more himself than the club he works for.

c'mon, tuppence or not, he clearly knows what his wages are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

not my point, and you know that.

To spell it out, it probably doesn't matter much to him what any LOI club could pay him, he's a rich person and doesn't need to be earning, he especially doesn't need to be earning what a LOI club pays.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Duff does say some weird stuff at times. Clearly the money is pennies compared to what he has earned in his career but not buying for a second he doesn't know what his salary is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

His net worth is estimated at about 14 million. What will he get at Shels? 100? 150K? He definitely isn't in it for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would have thought 70k-ish. I'd doubt Shels are paying him 6 figures. I know Pats broke the bank for Kenny but that was an outlier and complete desperation from Kelleher. Bradley and Higgins wouldn't be on 6 figures but maybe Duffs new contract puts him around their kind of pay bracket.

All I know Duff has been paid a salary since he took the job, nobody apart from Duff/Owners/CEO/BOM knows how much, he could be doing it for the minimum wage, median wage, the LOI managerial market rate or 100k+ nobody outside of the mentioned circle has any reliable idea. Duff/O'Brien are not doing this for the money, they love football and have a great work ethic, Shels being able to treat them, their coaching staff and players well and provide them with autonomy on the field and for recruitment will be more important to them than salaries

Duff constantly makes throwaway comments in interviews I find fascinating the scrutiny his words always come under

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He's the man who discovered the League of Ireland, of course he'll be under scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I totally agree and I say that as someone currently wearing a Bohemians t shirt as I write this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Joey Anang has signed for us. If he's in the same form as he was when he was on loan in 2022 he'll be a serious signing.

WE have signed Jacob Davenport. He is being described as ex Blackburn Rovers midfielder and Man City academy player, but he's come from Morecambe.

Also linked with 2 other players who are due to sign on 1st July.

D'Mani Mellor, an attacking player ex Man Utd academy, and Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo, a defender from Soton youth team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Davenport was excellent at youth level when I watched him. Not sure what happened him but theres a player in there…somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We've let Wassim go to Glentoran, was injured in preseason and never got going then with a few minutes here and there. We've signed Bobby Burns from them too. Heavily linked with ex-Derry (and others I think) Junior too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Rovers could get the tie back to Tallaght alive, they have a chance. But recent history is against that beit Iceland, Finland or Bulgaria and probably will be softly 2-0 or 3-0 down.

Think the problem is the 3-5-2 leaves us too open in away games. Don't know if we have the players to play it but a 4-4-2 and just hit on the break might be a more pragmatic option. Main worry though is in goal, if Mannus was still there we'd be a good few points better off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But Mannus was also involved in those defeats.

And the manager and a lot of the same players have shown battling ability coming back from behind away to 'better' leagues' sides like AIK or in Cyprus and away to Brann with and without Mannus. They have done it before but not recently.

• Advertisement

Mannus was in goal for two of those good away performances and Bazunu in goal for one, another rock. I just don't think Pohls has the same presence as those two and it affects the defence in front of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

From my experience reading LOI fans' comments on European opponents, the LOI side's odds of progression have to drop to about 33% before they'll admit it's a tough tie. Every other tie is "should be winning" even if the other club has more resources and come from a better league.

Another broad generalisation is that if a non-LOI fan hasn't heard of the European club, the LOI team should apparently be beating them. So we should be beating Ferencváros and Ludogorets Razgrad, but don't stand a chance against Fenerbahçe or Dynamo Kyiv even though all of these clubs have similar UEFA coefficients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Sligo had a true supporter in Tommie Gorman. May he rest in peace.

Post edited by joeysoap on

I was shocked when I heard about Tommie yesterday as he was still very much involved in the club and stadium development up until the break and presented Stephen Mallon at HT during the last home game. Fantastic guy and a huge loss for everyone.

Rory Houston wrote a nice piece in RTE today

would have that with a two week gap Rovers would have been able to get players fit for Sligo but no Farugia despite he played the last game as well as no Gaffney . Interesting that Bradley never even mentioned Jack Byrne, what’s happening there?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement