Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Every major Health Authority in the world did. The WHO, US CDC, European CDC, Chinese CDC. Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Canada …

Sweden were surrounded by neighbours that acted differently and locked down, and EU actions likewise insulated them. There's a whole thread for Sweden, not going to get into that here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What? I recommended it for you to give you a good basis. I didn't read it before posting, like most people, even without my qualifications, I remember the last 5 years and can recount things that were all over the news without much issue. Like I said, I have qualifications but they are hardly necessary in an area that was the biggest news story for a few years. I am not going to recommend someone to go and attend Cliodhna Farrellys lectures on Immunology, or that they need a MSc or PhD in the area, or that they read papers on inflammatory markers or cytokine production in response to a trigger if I am trying to get across the basics, that would be ridiculous. Wikipedia is a good foundation, with references that can be looked at, reviewed and then accepted or not. I presume you aren't going to publish a paper on this so giving you links to such things would be infantile and effectively gate keeping, behaviour that I deplore. Hardly a terrible bit of advice for someone who doesn't know much in the area. You are just looking for issues that don't exist.

It isn't a mutual agreement of anything, every suggestion to broaden your horizons is met with a negative response. You have provided nothing that implies you want to read up or learn in the area. If you provide something that discounts my viewpoint, then I will read it and adjust my viewpoint as necessary, that is how science works. I won't read something and take one source as fact but I will use it as part of my overall opinion formation. I will also try to assess if that source is correct or trustworthy. Again, not difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

So if you aren't engaging in mental gymnastics may I ask how is ineffective better than blood clots? This seems to be your premise. That it's wrong to say their vaccine is ineffective but it's perfectly fine for them to admit it causes blood clots? Why?

As I said isn't ineffective far far better than blood clots?

If you had a choice gun to your head take 2 things, one does nothing the other gives you blood clots are you in the camp of taking the blood clot option? As to you it's awful to say their vaccine is ineffective but it's A-OK for it to cause blood clots. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dude, you made a claim and you couldn't stand by it. You, in fact, refused to answer a simple question on it multiple times. At best, you were disingenuous. At worst, you were lying in order to push and confirm your own biases in the face of actual facts.

Why should anyone take anything you have to say seriously from this point onwards? And what makes you think i'd want to be getting involved in a discussion with someone who has proven to be, and admitted to having been, a liar?

Try coming to the table with honesty and then maybe you'll actually have something to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭xyz13

Not ashamed, rather annoyed I was forced into it, otherwise I wouldn't be able to resume my main hobbie = travelling.

Petite a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

do you really have to travel, yes its great to do so but if you felt very strongly about it, you could have simply refused the vaccine?

• Advertisement

Dude? Are you 13 or American? Very hard to tell it's one or the other.

Well everyone knows there is thousands of people who got the astra zeneca vaccine and got covid so that hardly means it's effective and it didn't reduce symptoms for many either which vaccines are suppose to do it made them worse.

Your hypocrisy is nauseating I didn't refuse to answer anything multiple times I answered it when I saw it so this is a very very blatant lie from you; in one small paragraph you tell several lies. Being a liar is natural to you I suppose.

You are a hypocrite and liar for 3 reasons.

1. You lie about me refusing to answer it when I did.
    2. I never admitted to being a liar that's another one of your lies
    3. You say I won't answer your questions when I do and you 100% refuse to answer mine so I'll ask again.

Isn't ineffective far far better than blood clots?

Why is getting blood clots to you so much better than something being ineffective?

So try coming to the table with a little gumption or bravery and drop the extreme cowardice and answer the bloody question. Your extreme cowardice and hypocrisy is like I said nauseating.

Something tells me your very cowardly nature won't allow you to answer my questions and isn't that an irony. You whine and moan all day on others not answering yours (even when they do!) yet you refuse to answer any questions yourself!

Post edited by Frumy on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

…and you reveal yourself. You were either a radical libertarian before covid or covid radicalized you. Either way your opinion is tainted by your extreme world view.

It's amazing the amount of people making it very clear on this alone they only took it for jobs/travel/to get into places etc etc and people still yak on it was voluntary. Try telling that to those who were sacked for not taking it!

Hey Frumy, any chance you can post another link dump?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

indeed, this why the correct response to taking the vaccine in his situation is shame. He didn’t need it but was bullied into taking it, like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I have no issue with vaccinations in general and was happy to receive the first dose although I received some nasty side effects in the aftermath of it which I would later understand to likely be some sort of allergy. Because of the unusual circumstances and general newness of the vaccines there was very little information on what I had experienced or whether I should get a 2nd jab a month later or not.

I contacted my doctor and the HSE about it and the advice was that a 2nd jab would make me immune for life, would prevent me infecting someone vulnerable and getting covid would be worse. They suggested what I experienced might have been anxiety and the 2nd jab probably wouldn't be as bad since my body was used to it. I also wanted to be able to travel and enter restaurants etc.

So I got the 2nd jab as advised and was uncomfortable again for a day or two with the same symptoms, not hospitalised but not far from it.

In hindsight as someone healthy in my early 30's I look back and think I was badly advised and put myself at risk out of societal pressure when that probably wasn't the best decision in the circumstances.

…so in order to fulfill a 'want'(traveling for leisure i.e. pleasure, isnt actually a need!), they were in fact 'bullied'!

…the entitlement is strong in this one!

…spend some time in developing countries folks, seriously, we re fcuking privileged in many ways here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That was the FDA and based on preparing the mountains of documents for release. I don't believe there was any such restriction in Europe or other jurisdictions.

Think of the request as an evidence dump that was asked for but the entire dump had to be prepared in a specific format for release (look up evidence dumps if you don't get this analogy).

What you should be concerned about is how you fell for that misinformation and what bar you should set yourself in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AZ stopped producing their vaccine as there were more effective and up to date alternatives with better efficacy and less side effects.

If AZ was the only vaccine available, it would still be in high demand.

Claiming it was ineffective is just a lie you are repeating.

The question is who tricked you into believing it and what made you fall for it to the extent of posting stupidity on a public forum repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If some cranks or amateur bedroom virologists think the vaccines are bad 🤷🏻… let them. Credible expert evidence overwhelmingly deems otherwise…….

I’ve been getting the flu jab for X years… without adverse reaction….

There are vaccines for…Cholera, Hepatitis, Malaria, Measles, Rabies, Rubella, tuberculosis, …….I could go on…. That people in situations where they are at risk of contracting those viruses, obtain the necessary vaccine and get on with it….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

No shame, I do feel gaslighted as the claims on efficiency of the vaccine were progressively revised down with zero accountability.

Hi,

I asked you a question on a claim you made, forcing you to admit that you lied

If you have any questions on claims that I've made I'll happily answer them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The sneering is because of the increase in diseases that previously had been almost eradicated through the use of vaccines.

And this increase in diseases has come about because we've watched the completely uneducated think that their right to an opinion means that said opinion is the same as those who are vastly more educated and experienced in that field.

I have a family member who is very exposed to the dangers of communicable diseases and to see people push back against the proven best option in dealing with them is very worrying. And this practice to push back against science and experienced experts in various fields is something that we are seeing more and more impact society negatively.

The cheering of Ryanairs BS comments about Eamon Ryan and non-airplane transport in the last few days is another example where the mindset that is promoted and lauded is ultimately a harmful one.

So I have zero time with someone suggesting shame at following what is the most qualified expert advice. Zero. By means discuss the efficacy etc, but to suggest shame in the thread title as was done and which was what my response focused on, is embarrassing. Go and be embarassing, but don't cry when you try to start a discussion and are called out for such a view.

…ive even managed to become even more autistic via jabs, win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

If the phrase “ignorance is bliss” was ever intended for a group of people, it would describe nicely the vast majority of members on Boards. Luckily, the vast majority of people on this lovely little planet are quite the opposite and can learn from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

Yes your problem I’m afraid is in thinking that the Covid shot is some kind of vaccine in the first place. You’ll be telling me the vitamin c pills my wife takes are a vaccine next won’t you lol

I feel a little pity for lads like you who’ve been tricked into getting the flu shot every year too. How often did you have the flu before you started taking a rubbish pharmaceutical product with dreadful efficacy every year due to peer pressure?

fcuking hell, we have an extremely serious problem in regards distrust in institutions!

…you ve spent too much time on the internets, you have become a victim of mis and disinformation!

You posted this medical disinformation before on the thread about the flu vaccine, your false claims were discredited and up you pop again reposting the same anti vax propaganda.

So full on anti vaxxer making bad faith arguments. Totally self discrediting. The only trick being pulled is you, ignoring the evidence and continuing to dump the same falsehoods.

Here's the post and associated scientific evidence you ran away from last time:

Flu vaccines also provided significant protection against other severe-flu related outcomes. People who were vaccinated were… 69% less likely to be admitted to the ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ireland was a perfect example of how ineffective the vaccine was in it's contribution to stopping Covid. I recorded this timeline years back just for the purposes of threads like this, to debunk claims that the vaccine played a pivotal role:

May-Sep 2021: Vaccine rollout

17 Dec 2021: Government announce lockdown due to unprecedented cases/hospital/ICU figures

(Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/4174f-new-public-health-measures-announced-friday-17-december/ )

19 Dec 2021: Omicron becomes dominant strain

(Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/03d57-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-sunday-19-december/ )

21 Jan 2022: "Ireland drops most Covid restrictions in wake of Omicron Storm"

(https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/ireland-set-rapidly-drop-almost-all-covid-19-restrictions-2022-01-21)

• Advertisement

…are these lads actually just ai bots or something!

Advertisement