Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External candidate Leaving Cert lab work?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hello! I'm posting this question for my wife, who is preparing for her leaving cert as external candidate. She is taking 2 lab subjects, biology and chemistry. Since she hasn't done any lab work being an external candidate would she qualify to sit the Leaving Cert examination. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi,

This is what the state exams comission has on their website abuot LC science subjects and external candidates:
    As the syllabus in each of these subjects has been drawn up on the basis that candidates will devote an appropriate amount of time to laboratory work (in Chemistry and in Physics), and to practical/laboratory work and fieldwork (in Biology), a candidate will not be admitted to the Leaving Certificate examination in any of these subjects in any case where the Commission considers that an adequate course of such work has not been followed by the candidate. For this purpose, records of the work done should be kept and be available for inspection or for submission to the Commission.

https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

Maybe she should get in touch with the SEC to check what she mneeds to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maynooth used to run a couple of weekends to cover these for externals and schools without facilities. Search for LC experiments Maynooth - sorry, on phone here.

Added link - its old but you could contact them and see.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/biology/events/leaving-certificate-examination-science-practicals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Maynooth are currently running it. It will be on all next week, if you call the department she could go in with some of the Leaving Certs one day and do enough to qualify her lab work. It's also relatively inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Maynooth are currently running it. It will be on all next week, if you call the department she could go in with some of the Leaving Certs one day and do enough to qualify her lab work. It's also relatively inexpensive.

Are you sure they are still running them? I thought they were on Jan 6th?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Omega28 wrote: »
    Are you sure they are still running them? I thought they were on Jan 6th?
    Was in college this week for exams/meeting with friends and they were still running them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Thanks guys for your help she will contact Maynooth for next year as lab work is finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EininLee

I'm in the same fix myself as an external, and I haven't been able to find anything on this more recently. Does anyone know if Maynooth(or anywhere else, preferably also in Kildare) are still running these in 2024/25? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EininLee

Thanks a mil, this wasn't showing up for me before!

Advertisement